Thinking to buy a Stringing Machine in Canada

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by DMKan, May 22, 2011.

1. DMKan

DMKan Regular Member

Student
    I don't care if it's online and I have to get it shipped
    I was just wondering if you guys could suggest me some machines and websites that I could get them from. I am just looking for a casual use for me and my friends I change my strings like every 2 weeks. If I do get this I would be stringing for my friends as well. I am looking in to a price of 100-500$ cdn. This includes shippin, manual and tools. I will add more information to narrow down the type of machine I want

Thank you

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
  3. DMKan

DMKan Regular Member

Student
  4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

The second link gives you links to sites that sell stringing machines.

As for recommandations, since you are just starting and have low budget, you should probably buy a drop weight machine.

These machines are really accurate once calibrated and are the cheapest on the market. However, stringing with a drop weight machine does take more time than with other machines, but that shouldn't be an issue since you are looking at stringing only your rackets and your friends' rackets.

As for which machine to buy, I couldn't give you a good personnal advice, since I have never used one. But basically, if you are looking at buying the cheapest machine you can find, Eagnas is probably the way to go. Their machines are much cheaper than any other brand. However, their customer service has been reported to be one of the worst customer service on the web. If you receive your full order in good condition, you should not have any problem. However, if your machine has any flaws or if they forget to ship something, you might not ever get what you need (6 months after ordering my machine, I still haven't received the tools that were supposed to be included in the order). Basically, buying with them is like lottery; you can be lucky and get everything in order, or just get unlucky and have something missing/broken.

If you want to pay a little more with a less risky order, Gamma machines are good quality machines for a decent price.

Hope this helps,

Yan

5. DMKan

DMKan Regular Member

Student
    Okay Thank you very much, but you don't have a site that you would recommend the most ?
    Something that is safe very easy to use ? or something ?
    I will try the gamma because I am not that risky of a person

Thank you lots :p

6. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

They are all good.

Eagnas is not so risky as you will receive your order. However, some mistakes may happen and their customer service isn't good. I think you should check out all of those sites and shop for the best machine you can get for a given price (if you want to pay 500$ everything included, I'd look at a 350-400$ machine, since taxes and other fees can become expensive.

I can't really tell you where to look at since prices changes from times to times, and I can't really do the shopping for you :p If you have read the threads I linked I my first post, you should have enough information about what to look for on a stringing machine and you'll be able to start from there to see what would be the best machine you can get for the price you want to pay.

7. edlui888

edlui888 Regular Member

Engineer
    I recently purchased a Flex 160 machine with Eagnas and their delivery speed was second to none. I ordered at lunch time from their website and I got a delivery confirmation and UPS tracking no. at around 3:00 pm the same day. It was delivered to Toronto in about 12 days (most time stuck at Canadian customs) with everything in good condition (instructions not included but assembly was straightforward). They substituted the tennis flying clamps with badminton clamps (upon requested in ordering process) and even sweetening the deal with a reel of Eagnas badminton string (good for practising stringing technique). It ended up cost me C$320 including $60 delivery and $40 brokeage fee. The only thing they missed was to substitute a badminton awl. I emailed them and they admitted it's their mistake but told me sending back the tennis awl before they could send me the correct one. In the end I gave up to pursue anymore - a very mysterious after-sales business model for Eagnas.

Overall, the machine works quite well in handling badminton racket stringing (I finished stringing 4 rackets with help of 2 additional Yonex flying clamps). All you need is to spend some time to practise and get familiar with the operation procedures of the ratchel string gripper to obtain a consistent tension.

8. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

I bought a Mutual Power branded machine and I'm very satisfied with it. I've since made a few upgrades to it to make it more badminton friendly with the appropriate clamps and side-supports. However the machine was 700 and I added the wise2086 on top of that so I spent a bit more then you want so I can't quite tell you about the lower-end machines. If you're looking to get a table top machine, like edlui888 above me said, get flying clamps, they will make a big difference.

The biggest advice I can give you is take your time, understand what you're doing and don't worry about those early mistakes. We all made them!
    Keep us informed as to what you bought and good luck.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Eagnas is a hit and miss.

i ordered a stringing machine stand a couple of months ago. they forgot to include the metal bar reel holder. i emailed them about it and i received one in the mail within a week.

the quality of Eagnas is pretty horrific though. the stand while works, is really cheaply made.

10. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

Just agreed to buy a KIMONY (Made in Japan, not the copycat kimoni, of course!) Exthree am600:cool: from a friend who's decided to get a YONEX ES Pro:cool:. The guy still has another KIMONY Exthree am600;).

11. DMKan

DMKan Regular Member

Student
    How much is he selling those for ?

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. how much?

13. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

It's a second hand, about 2.5 years old, so we agreed to settle on $1.3k. I hope it's still good for tons of stringjobs.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    damn is he selling the other one? :D

15. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

Nope. But I was told that it was bought just under $2.5k back then. So, am I getting a fair deal? Maybe, depreciation and deterioration taken into consideration:). Nah, it looks brand new as far as I'm concerned:cool:.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you got an awesome deal. let me know if you ever get sick of it. ;)

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    That's indeed a bargain price!

18. hasan

hasan Regular Member

looking for a stringing machine in Toronto too.
    Man, it's tough.
    I used to have KlipperUSA M140, that one was really good. But shipping to Canada costs like $100. No deal.

19. pax1234

pax1234 New Member

FYI, I just bought the M140. I am in Toronto.

The shipping was $70.00 not $100.00. Canada Post charged $8.50 for handling, uncle Harper and McGuinty wanted $19.54. The M140 itself was $159.00.

The grand total was $257,00 arrived to my door in 10 days.

I strung my old Yonex Isometric with the free Klipper syn gut string that came with the machine for 22/24 lb. It worked fine, Just be careful when taking out the racket, since the hold down shaft is a little too big for the width of the main string, you may nick the string if not careful. I Just spread the main string a little before taking the racket out. I am happy with it.

20. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    If you live close to the border you can always ship to a US mailbox. I ordered a ATS Progression 200 for $139.99 and free shipping to the Niagara Falls NY address such as CBI USA. Picked it up and paid duties so everything came out to be under $200.00