Pengyu DU ( 杜鹏宇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by TheComedian, May 23, 2011.

1. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    chn_dupengyu_04_chn09.jpg
    What is his Story?
    Who is he?
    How old is he?
    what part of china is he from?
    What Racket does he use?

Tell me all there is to know about this player.
    Here is a video of him playing against Lin Dan inside China. He is playing for Beijing.
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM5MjkxODMy.html
    Thank you :)

#1 TheComedian, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. tracyalways

tracyalways Regular Member

He was born in 1988 in the Hebei Province of China

3. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

No one saw his game against SDK at the Indonesia Open?

DPY is arguably the least talented Chinese player but certainly the hardest working one.

Time to give him some credit. Well done!

4. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

yup, watched that match. his defence was pretty good that day. he can even made 3 dives in 1 rally, awesome!

btw, if he want to add some title to his record, maybe IO 2012 is his best shot. with no CL or CJ, the boss will give him 'right' to win some compare if CL or CJ still there. but it wouldn't be an easy task. Simon definitely want the title too. so, let the battle begin. :)

peace. :D

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Du Pengyu, your performance with Lee CW in the final of the just-concluded DEN Open PSS was a huge pleasant surprise for me despite losing it narrowly by the score of 15-21, 21-12,and 21-19. Stupendous display from you, seeing how you pushed LCW to the limit as few could apart from Lin Dan and sometimes Chen Long.

I'd like to believe it is not a one-off achievement, that you can follow this up with results consonant with it going forward. Start collecting titles to add to your resume as befitting your top 10 ranking which you have been for quite some time. How about beginning with the following French Open SS?

6. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I think it's time to revisit this thread as Du Pengyu has reached the final of the super series finals. He defeated LCW during the group stages though it appears LCW had an injury in his right quad. Either way, still a good win for him considering how close he was last time.

I watched his match versus Vittinghus today and it was a pretty evenly matched affair up until the 3rd set where Du Pengyu pulled away with the win.

From what I can tell, he has one big weakness that stood out to me despite his recent achievements. He lacks power on his smashes which are not as threatening as any of the other top Chinese players (LD, CL, CJ). Many times against Vittinghus I saw Du Pengyu get the lift he wanted and got behind the shuttle in position for his smash, but his smashes were not enough to really threaten Vittinghus with his placement or his power.

However his movement is bit faster than CL from what I can tell, and he definitely makes his opponent try for the perfect shot to beat him. Thankfully since he is still relatively young (24), he has time to improve his power so it will become a real weapon.

Maybe he will be a late blossomer, or he could be a consistent top Chinese player but never to Lin Dan level like Chen Jin. Time will tell, but good luck to him! We'll see how he does in the final tomorrow against Chen Long.

7. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

too bad, he loss again. when will he win his 1st title?

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Du Pengyu – the player to watch

Dev Sukumar
    January 14, 2013
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/01/14/du-pengyu-the-player-to-watch/

Excerpts:
    There is Lin Dan. Then there are Lee Chong Wei and Chen Long. And then there is everybody else.That sums up the hierarchy in men’s singles badminton today. Every player wants to get close to the ‘Big Three’, but the gulf is so large that it is almost dispiriting.Heading the pack among the hopefuls is Du Pengyu, the 24-year-old from Hubei. Rather like Andy Murray who slaved on for a number of years before being talked of in the same league as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, Du Pengyu has toiled quietly, away from the limelight.

...What stands out about Du is his guts, his sheer tenacity, despite being of average skill. He is such a physical player that one winces while watching him play – he is all muscle and hustle, and doesn’t seem to have an artistic bone in his body. That possibly explains why he has never won a single open tournament in his career – not even a Grand Prix. (His only major win is the World University Championships.) But that’s also precisely why we have to admire him for his single-mindedness, for not many in the top-ten can boast of getting there with such limited talent.

...The Chinese knows he has some work to do before he can hope to achieve the winning aura of Chong Wei or Chen Long – not to mention Lin Dan – when they are at their best. But Du Pengyu will keep trying. And, like Andy Murray, perhaps he will finally have his moment in the sun before too long.

9. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

wishing him success in the next tournaments.

10. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    i can see some changes in his game style... he's more attacking now compared 2 years ago...

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, DuPY is transitioning into a more attacking player but not completed yet I think. So in the process he may be a bit more vulnerable at times which possibly explains his one-round trip a couple of times lately. The best part is he still retains his remarkable,stubborn defensive ability to throw everything back at his opponent and to run and run and outlast him the longer the match progresses - I liken him to sticky glue, almost impossible to shake off with his supreme fitness and stamina which few can compare (I've in mind another one like him, Nguyen Tien Minh).

What is still lacking in his arsenal is a killer smash. Luckily, I sense that he's an intelligent player who is able to analyze his opponent's game during play and adjust his tactics accordingly. I supposed it comes from his learning attitude and accumulated experience.

Sadly, his results do not justify his WR #3 standing it seems; I earnestly hope he starts winning a few titles as he fully deserves to. My best wishes to him. He is a great guy - quiet,unassuming,very hardworking,amiable fellow according to all who know him.

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It is hard not to like this man. He works hard. He doesn't let an unfortunate point get him down. He just dusts off and goes at the next point with the same determination as the last.

Does he have a nickname on the Chinese squad?
    I'd coin him Mule - style not most graceful but a creature bred to work hard and able to carry burdens large for its size.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

His colleagues nicknamed him 'Ah Du' after the Singaporean singer (I assumed), don't know why. Your suggestion to call him 'Mule' is descriptive but, I'm afraid, unflattering. How about something related to horse if you like? Say, breeds of horses like Don, Mustang, Bronco, Pinto, or the legendary horse 'Pegasus' ? Anyway, I think when he starts winning titles, he'll earn a new nickname somehow.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It is sad that a MS player ranked #3 in the world does not have any information available in his profile on the BWF page. Here is some basic information about the Red Baron.

Born January 22, 1988
    Born in Baoding, Hebei province

He should grow his hair long. He'll look like a rock star!

15. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

He get in to the Swiss Open final! The chance for his 1st ever open title is there once again, can he make it happen this time? I hope he will!

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To be frank, I seldom take rankings too seriously, most of the time they don't reflect the relative strengths of the top 10 players to an acceptable degree of accuracy. It depends quite a lot on the number of tournaments and which ones they take part in. I'm certain among the top 10 players,they know who is the real number one or two. The rest don't differ much, anyone can beat anyone in any given day, except for certain anomalous situations where a particular player seems to be the other's nemesis.

Talking about BWF Player Profile, I just don't understand why they don't provide the player's date of birth in many cases, which should be basic information.

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Looks like the title is for him to win it or lose it today. After so many years behind the shadows of lin dan, chen jin, chen long, now is the time for him to 'shine' :)

18. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Ah Du fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Du Pengyu, my heartiest congratulations for winning bronze in the World Championshps 2013. Indeed, a worthy medallist together with Viet Nguyen Tien Minh, another commendable hard worker like you.

What impressed me the most is how you could still put up such a spirited fight against the mighty Lee CW in the semi-final despite having played four previous rounds of long,grueling,energy-sapping matches with every single one of them, all highly respectable opponents, namely Shon Wan Ho, Tanongsak S, Takuma Ueda, and P Kashyap, taking a total of four over hours.

You actually pushed Lee CW hard to three well-fought games before capitulating, a much better performance than Wang Zhengming's and Tommy Sugiarto's who both lost easily in short 2-setter matches to Lee CW before you. As a matter of fact, as Jonc108 pointed out in his calculations, your total time duration on court was about 4 hours and 45 minutes whilst Lee CW's was about 2 hours and 50 minutes, i.e. 2 hours longer. I'm surprised you didn't collapsed exhausted after the 1 hour and 10 minutes match with Lee CW, your 5th match of the tournament, yet another long tussle. I salute you !

20. volcom

volcom Regular Member

A True grit player!!!
    Extremely admirable