User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 36
  1. #18
    Regular Member nbonkowsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago / Vancouver
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @ Kwun: It really depends I remember times when I would do 3 sets of it and do that 4 days a week for a workout. Now personally I just do it 2-3 times a week 2 sets as hard as I can.

    @ Alapongtai: Haha thank you

    UPDATE: I have been very busy so I should have another video of alternative excercises that can be subbed into and mixed around for the chinese fotwork up before the end of the week.

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Great work!
    You can also do this exercises by starting with regular speed then switch to your MAX speed.

  3. #20
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,918
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    this is the first half of our routine. we managed to start with 6 and ended up with 4.



    we did 20 minutes total and everyone was pretty beat up but we went ahead and played more games and drills afterwards.

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    that looked brutal - but fun

  5. #22
    Regular Member nbonkowsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago / Vancouver
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @Kwun: That is awesome great work.

    Here are some other excercises that I mix in with the previous ones.



    30 seconds work followed by 30 seconds active rest (keep moving)

    1. Split Hop
    -Staggered behind, shoulder width, staggered in front

    2. Rotation Hops ("Scissor kick" hops)
    -Like playing a shot in the back court

    3. Rebound Jumps
    -Straight legs, using calf/upper body
    -High jump, small rebound, High jump
    -Explode up on the high jump

    4. Mountain Climbers
    -Push up position, staggered legs
    -Switch legs back and forth as fast as possible, knee to chest

    5. Full squat calf jumps
    -Full squat down, jump up using just calf power, arms behind back

    6. Single legged hops
    -"Straight" leg using calf
    -30 seconds per leg

    7. Single leg square jump
    -Jump in a square, land and go
    -30 seconds per leg, 15 seconds each direction per leg

    8. Single leg side to side hops
    -30 seconds per leg

    9. Single leg forward backward hops
    -30 seconds per leg

    10. Lateral Bounds
    -Land on one foot load and push off as fast as possible
    -Work towards distance and height

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, SA, AU
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Q: Does it matter what surface I do the excercise on at home? I have tiles and wood inside the house, ceramic tiles outside and on the street. There is an area at the gym (not badminton) where the floor is similar to a badminton court, but I don't think the other people would appreciate me bouncing around next to the free weights.

    Wow, I thought you were starting the demonstration for some of the later excercises and thought "Damn, that's fast, I don't think I can go that fast". Then you start the actual routine and my jaw hit the ground.

    I especially liked the switch lunges, looked like you were doing that shuffle dance.

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Very impressive stuff! I will try some of those exercises and see how I get on. Thanks for sharing

  8. #25
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,918
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proddy View Post
    Q: Does it matter what surface I do the excercise on at home? I have tiles and wood inside the house, ceramic tiles outside and on the street. There is an area at the gym (not badminton) where the floor is similar to a badminton court, but I don't think the other people would appreciate me bouncing around next to the free weights.

    Wow, I thought you were starting the demonstration for some of the later excercises and thought "Damn, that's fast, I don't think I can go that fast". Then you start the actual routine and my jaw hit the ground.

    I especially liked the switch lunges, looked like you were doing that shuffle dance.
    i don't think it matters. as long as it is a surface that is sturdy and safe to do exercise on. it should be ok. i'd avoid surfaces that are too hard like concrete which maybe bad for your knees in the long run.

  9. #26
    Regular Member nbonkowsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago / Vancouver
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proddy View Post
    Q: Does it matter what surface I do the excercise on at home? I have tiles and wood inside the house, ceramic tiles outside and on the street. There is an area at the gym (not badminton) where the floor is similar to a badminton court, but I don't think the other people would appreciate me bouncing around next to the free weights.

    Wow, I thought you were starting the demonstration for some of the later excercises and thought "Damn, that's fast, I don't think I can go that fast". Then you start the actual routine and my jaw hit the ground.

    I especially liked the switch lunges, looked like you were doing that shuffle dance.
    I agree with Kwun, as long as your not on concrete then it will be fine. That being said I have done that on a concrete/tile floor before and it didnt kill my legs but just dont do it all the time on a hard surface.

    Oh haha, thanks when I do it at that "fast" speed it feels a little slow to me and I've just been trying to go even harder and push it to the max that I can do.

    Haha if I do that in a public place people aways stop and watch since they havnt seen anything like it before. It is one of the cooler looking ones though for sure.

    Well best of luck with it and keep working hard.

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, SA, AU
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    i don't think it matters. as long as it is a surface that is sturdy and safe to do exercise on. it should be ok. i'd avoid surfaces that are too hard like concrete which maybe bad for your knees in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbonkowsky View Post
    I agree with Kwun, as long as your not on concrete then it will be fine. That being said I have done that on a concrete/tile floor before and it didnt kill my legs but just dont do it all the time on a hard surface.

    Oh haha, thanks when I do it at that "fast" speed it feels a little slow to me and I've just been trying to go even harder and push it to the max that I can do.

    Haha if I do that in a public place people aways stop and watch since they havnt seen anything like it before. It is one of the cooler looking ones though for sure.

    Well best of luck with it and keep working hard.
    Cheers guys.

  11. #28
    Regular Member jajvirta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the videos and the information.

    One question though: does anyone have ideas on how to measure progress in this department?

    I do believe that plyometric exercises such as these give me the greatest benefit for my overall game, but I'm also interested in tracking my progress just for curiosity and further motivation. I know there's a device that measures simply how high one jumps (based on how long you stay up in the air), but I don't have access to such facilities.

  12. #29
    Regular Member nbonkowsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago / Vancouver
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    jajvirta,

    The simplest way that I can think and have used to measure it is simply the amount of reps that you can do per each 30 second interval. Since as you get fitter and stronger from this and also doing other workouts the intensity/number that you can keep/do over the entire set increases. So you should be able to see yourself able to do a few extra reps per interval of each thing as time progresses.

    You can then use that as your base and always try to at least match if not exceed it, I know that eventually there will be a ceiling on how much you can do in the 30 seconds that's when you just make sure you always meet the max you can do and go hard. Hope that helps.

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jajvirta View Post
    I know there's a device that measures simply how high one jumps (based on how long you stay up in the air), but I don't have access to such facilities.
    It's easy to measure your vertical jump. You need a wall, a chair, a tape measure and a piece of chalk.

    Smash up the chalk to make chalk dust. Cover the fingers of one hand in dust. Stand against the wall, reach up as high as you can without jumping (keep your feet flat on the ground) and make a chalk mark on the wall. Then get some more chalk dust on your fingers, jump as high as you can, and reach up and make another mark. Stand on the chair and measure the distance between the two marks. That's how high you jumped.

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    coming to a court near you...
    Posts
    28,044
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nbonkowsky View Post
    @Kwun: That is awesome great work.

    Here are some other excercises that I mix in with the previous ones.



    30 seconds work followed by 30 seconds active rest (keep moving)

    1. Split Hop
    -Staggered behind, shoulder width, staggered in front

    2. Rotation Hops ("Scissor kick" hops)
    -Like playing a shot in the back court

    3. Rebound Jumps
    -Straight legs, using calf/upper body
    -High jump, small rebound, High jump
    -Explode up on the high jump

    4. Mountain Climbers
    -Push up position, staggered legs
    -Switch legs back and forth as fast as possible, knee to chest

    5. Full squat calf jumps
    -Full squat down, jump up using just calf power, arms behind back

    6. Single legged hops
    -"Straight" leg using calf
    -30 seconds per leg

    7. Single leg square jump
    -Jump in a square, land and go
    -30 seconds per leg, 15 seconds each direction per leg

    8. Single leg side to side hops
    -30 seconds per leg

    9. Single leg forward backward hops
    -30 seconds per leg

    10. Lateral Bounds
    -Land on one foot load and push off as fast as possible
    -Work towards distance and height
    Nick, how are you?

    Thanks for the vid. I was tired after the Rebound Jumps already... and this was from just watching the video! All good stuff though.

    How effective would something like this be if the time was reduced to say, 20 seconds. We're not all as young and energetic as you. Plus there's that gimpy ankle as well.

  15. #32
    Regular Member nbonkowsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago / Vancouver
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Nick, how are you?

    Thanks for the vid. I was tired after the Rebound Jumps already... and this was from just watching the video! All good stuff though.

    How effective would something like this be if the time was reduced to say, 20 seconds. We're not all as young and energetic as you. Plus there's that gimpy ankle as well.
    I am doing pretty well, letting my hand tendons heal so lots of footwork but taking a little break for Christmas.

    Reducing it to 20 seconds would still be effective for sure, you can also modify the 30 second one to go easy for the 1st 10 seconds and then hard for the last 20 seconds or do moderate/decent speed for the first 20 seconds and then hard for the last 10 seconds. Can also do a even split of easy/moderate for 15 seconds and hard for 15 seconds.

    Hope that helps and that everything works out and is going great for you out there.

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Awesome vids. I'll try some at home and on my recreational badminton days. Although I'll start off easy with just 10 secs instead of 30 secs.

  17. #34
    Regular Member betazone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    nbonkowsky,
    awesome stuff, I hv been doing 1 set per week, cannot imagine the frequency you are doing man !

    btw it really helps and now I can dig up those shots I normally miss !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS/FT: Genuine Mint Condition Li Ning N77 ! (Fast Deal Fast Grab in Singapore)
    By JonSim in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 3
    : 10-04-2011, 06:32 AM
  2. Chinese style footwork training
    By kwun in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 26
    : 07-09-2011, 12:55 PM
  3. Strings broke fast.... really damn fast.
    By zeushi in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 13
    : 11-28-2008, 03:49 AM
  4. Zhang Ning : base -> forehand fast attack footwork
    By kwun in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 12
    : 09-21-2004, 07:44 PM
  5. Footwork rhythm; 1st step fast, last step slow
    By Cheung in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 5
    : 08-18-2003, 05:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •