Training: was it good for you?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Aleik, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    1) Are you happy with how your training has gone?
    2) Any regrets?
    3) How will you motivate yourself to train for next season?
    4) Trying anything different?

2. Bunni

Bunni Regular Member

High School Student
    I took training from january to mid april. i thought it was great - it helped me with my footwork, proper techniques and some cool new tricks ;) definately worth investing. i think training really helps bring out the potential in ya!

no regrets, it was all good. although i wish they had more classes per week! i think to keep motivated, you gotta try and improve, learn new things, etc. or else you might get bored of doing the same thing over again :/

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    "training" is such a broad word. what kind of training are you talking about? if you are more specific when you phrase your question, you will more likely get more and also more relevant answers.

4. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Broadness was intended here. I just wanted a few ppl's account of how things have gone, not specific summaries of training methods. I would have visited your thread for this.

If people want to reply, I hope they can just briefly exchange ideas about motivation for training, or just give a retrospective view of their fitness levels for this season and if they have improved in any way.

Sorry if it is too broad or if it's been done before.

Aleik ;)

5. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Hmm... I've been training for years now... definitely no regrets...

I don't need to motivate myself... when I think badminton, I'll be all fired up. :D :D :D

What do you mean by 'different'? As in sports? Or different ways to play a game?

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Some people are so lucky that they get to go to academies or engage with coaches for training. I, for one, wasn't in that category as my parents could not afford it when I was much younger.

But I did do 'training' sessions with a few of my friends who did go to those training sessions, and I did learn much. It took a friend's comment of "You take 3 - 4 steps to get the bird (net lunge), I take 1 - 2. You will tire out or lose balance once the game gets faster", to really motivate me to get to do footwork.

So, the verdict?

The only regret that I had was I never went for 'proper' training ; thus I had to do double work in relearning the basics as well as 'unlearning' the bad habits. Been improving much since.

Apart from that, I'm happy that at least I am improving although not dramatically.

The Chinese have a saying, "Fear not of growing slowly but fear if you are standing still".

7. Majin Legacy

Majin Legacy Regular Member

Yeah, I was inspired when I went to a provincial tournament way back in February and was totally impressed with the people there. Having it at Ajax, and seeing people like Nathaniel play was a great experience for me. I had been playing casually for 2 years before that, but was not a strong player at all. After training for 2 months, it actually paid off and I made OFSAA! I'm still not nearly as good as any of the provinical players, but I intend on improving over the summer. Doing some cardio, heading to the local courts, etc.

BaDmInToN 4eVa!~!~!!

8. boyboy

boyboy Regular Member

Student
    frustrated...

well... I just love trainning... pushing myself to the limits sometimes... and try to perfect some shots..:D

But, the worst thing that could happen is when someone who doesn't have trainning beats u.. :( happens to me.. even my coach says u shouldn't lose that game and bla bla bla... maybe I'm more of a double player... needs someone to set the pace, set-up the shots (talking bout my partner here) ......I can see myself improve but after most of the singles games I go :confused: wut have I done wrong... and even worst I played this "old" guy the other day and not even sweating I got trashed...

ok ok.. enough of me confessing......... trainning really does help ALLOT...... :D

9. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Developing skills when young

About that basics thing...

How do you think it is best to begin learning...practice every shot and movement over and over from the outset, or study a great player do it correctly, and evoke technical excellence immediately? This would be more boring, but surely quicker and it would avoid the surfacing of bad habits later.

I'm not sure which would be a more effective way of learning. I'm just interested in motivation and development, especially in children. Anyone have any views on development at a young age?

Aleik

10. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    Training has definately refined my skills and my consistency. I think it was practicing a movement many times that made that motion automatic. Now I'm not so concerned about how to hit the shuttle but where.

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Re: Developing skills when young

It probably is best to do a hybrid of both, I think

It's important to get the root correct before one begins to grow the tree. Poor basics is the same as trying to grow a tree on a rock; survivable but very limited growth. (Hmm... isn't that in Matthew chapter something?) :D

Watching good players is a good way to do a comparison on your own technique as well as looking for that 'missing' stroke that is hampering your shots, for example. I learnt how to do an effective smash by looking at a timeline photo of a man from the 60s doing his smash, and I noticed the mistake in my ready stance. Been smashing better, ever since.

Also, player watching can help build up your 'vocabulary' of tricks and shots that you may otherwise would never think of.

I spend a great deal of time when I'm not playing, watching people hit and move.

Still, I believe in going back to the basics. To unlearn bad technique/habits can be quite difficult.

:)