Upgrade from vt70 to sw35 or vt80?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by 77suns, May 28, 2011.

1. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    After using Vt70 4u for few game, i really like the head heaviness but will like to upgrade to slightly stiffer shaft.
    I will still prefer a 4u so will to know if sw35 has the head heaviness or do i need to go up to vt80 since both are stiffer?

2. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    It depends what kind of player you are? Style? etc. you name it.

3. crazy sky

crazy sky Regular Member

Freelance
    SW35 is not a head heavy racket, it is even balance but with extra stiffness...

I was worry how will the SW35 perform compared to the Lethal 60 which is well-known as head heavy racket. However when I get the SW35 and play in some games, I realize it is just excellent racket. Although the racket is even balance, but it can give me the similar power like the head heavy racket. And 1 more thing I like the most is the racket is really fast (maybe due to the aerodynamic design and light weight) and useful in defense.

IMO, SW35 is worth to own one and it is world class racket... you can observe how many Korean national players are using SW35

4. crazy sky

crazy sky Regular Member

Freelance
    I will never buy Yonex anymore... Even though you might using the same racket like the national player, the same model you bought is different from the player one. It is because Yonex special design the racket to the player to suit their playing style and the racket will have special label code.

5. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

From what I've read, SW35 has a balance point of around 300mm. If that's not head heavy, then I don't know what is. Also, who says the players are using specially designed rackets? If that's the case, wouldn't it be the same for the Korean national players with their Victor rackets?

6. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    To Polaroid: i would like to play offensive with smashes from full court.

My concern is do sw35 smash/clear equally easy from the rear court as vt70 when both are 4u?

7. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    I don' think SW35 or VT80 will be easy to generate power since its rated EXTRA STIFF and STIFF. I own a VT80 and it takes awhile to get used to it but its good for me. VT70 is medium stiff it should be easier to generate power with VT70 but everyone is different. To be honest my VT80 is 4UG4 and Its pretty heavy for a 4U. So If your a strong player then go for VT80 or SW35 if you can take the STIFF shaft, If not then go with VT70. Hope this helped you :D.

8. crazy sky

crazy sky Regular Member

Freelance
    That is all depend on how I felt...

If you were luckily to get a national player racket, please do see carefully on their racket shaft.. there was 'P' code for player where we can't buy one... Yonex for player can string above 30lbs, but what we get in the market can only string around 25lbs only...

Victor is using the same racket because in Thomas Cup 2010, the Korean team broken many of their rackets during the match due to high string tension. The Victor Malaysia distributor supply the rackets to the Korean team and these rackets are all strung at 32 or 33lbs...

It is not telling us Victor racket is not last, but it tells us the racket will break if tension more than 30lbs which is not recommended from Victor. Taufik AT900 was strung at 33-35lbs, do you think the same racket in the market can strung at this level?

9. crazy sky

crazy sky Regular Member

Freelance
    If your wrist is strong then the extra stiff racket will give you extra power. I just love the SW35 where the control is absolutely great which is out of my expectation...

Spending USD133 for SW35 is absolutely worth of money :cool:

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/97931-above-30lb-string-tension

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Thanks demolidor. crazy sky, I think you are making (wrong) assumptions here. What we get in the market is the apparent "recommended string tension". It doesn't mean you can't string it at over 30 pounds. I know many players who string their Yonex rackets at over 30 pounds with no problems.

12. crazy sky

crazy sky Regular Member

Freelance
    If you know my pain how I broken my Yonex AT300 due to the string tension at 25lbs... the racket frame just broken without hitting or crashing anything. When I go to the seller and ask if I can claim from it, the seller point the other racket, AT700 which has the SAME situation like me. Broken it frame due to high tension at 27lbs.

The seller said they will never be able to claim from Yonex. Sorry but I have to tell you, please try and get a Yonex Carbonex 21 and strung it at 30lbs. I can guarantee your racket will break in few weeks or months if you regularly playing badminton.

13. crazy sky

crazy sky Regular Member

Freelance
    If you were in the view of 'user', might feel unhappy when I comment on Yonex about it quality. But when you are 'seller', you were afraid the customer to come back to you often for the same question.

If Yonex can string up to 30lbs, why they always recommend user to string at 20-25lbs instead of like others said can string up to 30lbs. Don't you think they should have more confident to say so since they are the market leader.

14. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    you should read the thread that demolidor gives
    it is not the manufacturer fault, but the stringer fault
    there are MANY people here is BC strung their racket at 28+ 30 or even 32 and it did not break

the main problem is the stringer, your stringer is not experience enough to string high tension racket
    even at lower tension such as 23, the frame would break if you stringer is not competent

for your second question why yonex did not give higher warranty
    if you want to see it from Yonex point of view:
    do you think they want to cover EVERY SINGLE stringer's fault?
    do you think they want to receive many rackets every month?

it is not a feasible option, too many incompetent stringers, and higher tension means the frame become more fragile
    that is not manufacturer problem, but stringer and player's problem

#14 Avenger, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  15. crazy sky

crazy sky Regular Member

Freelance
    Thanks for sharing, I think it could be the problem of the stringer... now the seller changed to digital stringing machine rather than manual...

1 more thing, Yonex is not responsible on the crack of the frame hole no matter how skillful the stringer was. This was confirmed by the seller when he was stringing the Carbonex 21, the new racket crack at tension 23lbs... However, most of the racket manufacturers are allow to claim for a new racket if the hole was crack as they consider it was original manufacture defect.

That is my experience where I almost every weekend visit the seller (I regularly went to 2-3 shops) to buy shuttlecock and I consider have good relationship with them.

16. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

SW35... 3U... head heavy... @125~130USD.... worth every penny! ^^

17. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Ah man, I get tired of saying this, but Victors - even the ones at BP300 - don't have the same head-heavy feeling as the VT80, VT70, Armortecs etc. They carry their weight evenly (generally speaking), whereas the Yonex feel like the weight is all at the top of the head.

I personally think that the MX80 is a better racket than the SW35. It just feels more natural, more 'alive' somehow, so don't discount considering that as an option, too.

18. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I tend to believe that it's the stringers fault most of the time. In a span of 1 month, my friend broke 3 rackets (@26lbs) of different models (Yonex, Kimoni, and Gosen) due to smashing. Later I heard a rumor that the stringer (I won't say who it is or where as it's still just a rumor) he uses tends to pre-weave the entire racket. Yikes!!!

19. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Thanks

Maklike: Thanks for ascertaining the head heaviness issue - i had the same hunch but needed a second opinion.
    Polaroid: Good point - VT80 will be too head heavy for my defense so i leaving it out.

I am going to try out sw35,mx80 and compare it with vt70 then. oh i almost forget there is a panda racket to try out too. Thanks everybody for all the kind advice.

#19 77suns, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011