pain in right latissimus dorsi

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by sirbass, May 28, 2011.

1. sirbass

sirbass Regular Member

As can be seen in the title I've recently developed pain in my right latissimus dorsi which is brought on every now and then when i swing my racket ( usually a hard smash or reaching for a clear that's just beyond my reach). This happened after recently switching from my ArcZ to my V-80. My hypothesis is that since V 80 is my first head heavy racket, and being such a difference than my Arc that the difference may have caused the pain. Another hypothesis is the increased difference in string tension ( arc - 24lbs , VT- 27 lbs.) I play once a week, but it would seem that 7 days is insufficient time to heal since this pain has remained for 3 sessions afterwards. I've concluded that i must wait a longer time as allow for adequate healing and to prevent a possible more severe or even lifetime injury (lets hope its not that bad lol) I've read the disclaimer that the best thing is to see a professional but I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to my hypotheses or add new ones. So if anyone else has had a similar experience or is very knowledgeable I would be most appreciative to hear others' views, opinions and knowledge. Thanks

2. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

by "pain in my right latissimus dorsi", you meant your right shoulder? i'm no expert with the biology-term of human body. And if you meant by right shoulder, above armpit, then i used to have quite much experiences about that. I've been constantly changing rackets to find my ideal-perfect racket. I was a user of head-light racket, before changing to head-heavy racket couple years ago. I never encountered any pain during the immediate switching of racket between these two different BP. And yes, i play 3~5 times a week for the past 11 years (almost everyday), mostly play double, i like smashing & usually do a clear beyond my reach. All i can tell you is, aside continuous experiment with changing rackets (i have about 14 rackets by now) i also conduct experiment with changing various of strings & tensions. I am now realized i can only go as far as 24-25Lbs without hurting my right-shoulder. Going above 25Lbs, i can only play max of 2-3 times a week instead of 4-5 times, with 2-hour session each. Otherwise my right-shoulder will be painful enough and won't be able to generate power even during the clear.

Just few days ago i got myself a 3U of VT80 (very first time i ever own Yonex in 11 years). i asked the seller to strung it with NBG98 @24~25Lbs, but dummy seller strung it with 26Lbs instead! Last night i played for the first time with my VT80 for 4-hour session. I now feel a slightly pain on my right-shoulder, and struggling to loosen the tension to at least 25Lbs (without cutting off the good string!) by continuously hitting my knee with the sweet-spot of the racket.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Hanging in the "pull-up" position for a minute or so before playing might help with this - really let yourself sink down as far as you can to get a good stretch. Our place has a convenient girder in the stock room:).

4. sirbass

sirbass Regular Member

To arfandy, as much as I appreciate hearing about you past experiences, I don't have shoulder pain. The latissimus dorsi is a muscle on your back, please see a picture since I'm not sure exactly how to explain it.
    None the less thanks for both of your insights, I'll see how they work for me.

5. Timz :]

Timz :] Regular Member

maybe you should post a vid of how you strike the ball. I have a feeling you're involving too much body parts on a shot. Shoulders should be pushed back even during the rising of the elbows. Plus you shouldn't be throwing your arm during a smash.

Usually it takes maximum of 2 days for the pain to subside.

6. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

if so, then i guess it has nothing to do with new racket or string tension being too high. maybe it's simply your movement during the game or not enough warm-up.

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Ur main issue is you play once a week and am sure that once time a week, u go mad at it. The body jus cant cope. Seems like a simple muscle pull. If u overstretch or use to much force, ur hurting the muscle. Best thing you can do is to stretch the lat area and maybe play at a slower place for a few sessions which may help things. But go see a physio or sports masseur. Seems like an easy fix IMO

8. Poglomog

Poglomog Regular Member

Poggle
    gingerphil79 is right, this is most likely just a pull/minor tear. It's really important to stretch properly after training; this is the best advice you will get for tear/overuse-related injury prevention. On that note arfandy is also correct, warming up is imperative.

It's highly unlikely that your rackets are the cause of this pain. There simply isn't enough weight in the rackets to create such stress in that area of the body... not unless you have the most bizarre technique in the world! ;)

N.B. High tension-related injuries usually come down to elbow and forearm pain...