String prblem.. did I make a right decision?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by chungg, Apr 27, 2003.

1. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    When I was in Taiwan, I played badmiinton twice a week, not too much, the stringing price in Taiwan is between US$6 to US$8(including labor), the most expensive one like bg85 is almost 30% higher than bg-65, so I always chose bg-65. When I feltl the tension was lost and control was not so good, I just restring it. The average use time is about half a year.

However, when I came to US to study last year, I have more time to play badminton, now I play three times a week, 2 hours a time. But I find the stringing price here is so expensive, from US$16 to $18(including labor), almost 3 times than in Taiwan, so I just stick on bg-65 and didn't change it untill it was snapped last week. You know, bg-65 is just resist to break, even it has alreay lost all the control and tension. Anyway, since I had to change a string, and the price difference between bg-65 and all other good strings is so small, I decide to give me a try to upgrade to other string. After some research on BadmintonCentral, I find the bg-70pro is durable and keeping tension long. So I chose to use bg-70pro this time.

The result is amazing, I am a smash-type player, but I am already powerful enough, so I don't really need anymore repulsion. However, after I changed to bg-70pro, I find it largely improved my contorl. Now my drop, net play, and even smash are much more precise than two days ago, and it is just because I changed the string. Now I know how big difference the string can make, and I don't have to complain about my skill, all are bg-65's fault:D

But the problem is, now I am just too curious about other strings, I really want to try different kind of strings. I want more control from the string, and don't need power since power is never a problem to me. But I know, usually you can't get control, and durability on the same string, if it does, then it is expensive. How do you think if you are in my situation, want both durability to save some money and get great control?
    Is bg-70prog the right choice? I read some thread about bg-88ti, although it's expensive, I heard someboday said it's good in control and durability. How does it compared to bg-70pro. Do you think it's deserved for its price?

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I havent tried that many different types of strings, but i'm pretty happy with 88ti and i'll probably continue to use that for the main racquet... and 68ti for the backup racquet. If you are playing with feather birds, maybe you'd prefer softer string like 85?

3. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    I do use feather birdies, now I use yonex swing power 900 sx with bg-70pro at 22lbs. Actually I prefer 24lbs, but I am just afraid that higher tension let string less durable. The price here for string bg-80 and bg-70pro are all US$18, while bg-65 is US$16. If you bring your own string, the labor is US$10. Since they may not have bg-85 and bg-88ti, I may have to buy it online. Then the best price I can find online for bg-85 is US$8 and for bg-88ti US$13. So the price including labor will be US$18 and US$23. Some reviews said bg-85 is better in control than bg-80 but much less durable. that's why I think maybe bg-88ti is worth the money.

Oh, I really missed the price level in Taiwan, envy you guys live in Southasia:(
    Now I even considering buying a string machine, but it's also expensive here too:mad:

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Yep, too bad we didn't have prices for equipment like they do in Asia. Stringing racquets here cost 21.00 - 25.00 depending on the stringer and some stringers will charge you different prices for different strings. My coach doesn't.

Stringing machine is nice. I had a friend break his strings the day before a tourny, a stringing machine would be nice :D

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't forget about S+H (shipping and handling), unless even u just buy 1 piece of string, they still provide FREE shipping (did not find anyone even close like this, yet). Sometimes, the string is like $10, but teh S+H is another $5-8, which further resist ppl buying small orders online.

Also, if u can find a local place for re-string, that's cool. However, if u talking about sending ur racket through internet, well, S+H again (twice!).

If u really can find a place offering very cheap S+H on string, please let me know. So far, the cheapest place i can find in US is www.hiquasports.com But they don't carry 88Ti.

6. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    Yes, I know, the best price of bg-88ti I can find is US$13 at San Diego Badminton Supply, but their shipping is US$9.5, so it's only cheap when I buy at large amount. So maybe I should stick on my local string guy. He has bg-80 and bg-70pro and all other common stuff, but doesn't have bg-85 and bg-88ti. Actually, I think if I really want to use bg-88ti, I should ask my friend in Taiwan to buy them for me and send to US. Since the string is small in size, the shipping cost is not a problem. But the really problem is, I don't have any friend in Taiwan who knows those badminton stuff.:(

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Also, maybe u can "special order" from ur local string guy. I am sure when he orders his string, he will order in fairly large amount. If he's close to u, add 1 or 2 piece of 88Ti should not be a problem to him. U might consider share a little bit S+H, say, maybe just USD$15 in total, compare to USD $23 if u order by urself.

As a local stringer myself (still rookie, hehehehehe...), I did this kinda favor for my friends. There's no point ask them to pay USD $10 for shipping for USD$5 string. When I order everything together (usually 10+ strings, plus some other stuff), I just divid the total S+H by the amount of strings. So, they just pay $1 or 2 extra, compare to $10.

8. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    You are so nice to your friends, can I be your friend? Actually I go to NYC every two months, hehehe:D

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the comments.

Well, I just consider it won't cost me anything or any extra effort, but might just save him/her $8+ each time, so, why not.

Coming to NYC? Welcome... maybe we can drop by my club and get a game or two going??? PM me if u r interested.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    BG88Ti might be a bit difficult to string with....that's hearsay. you have to be more careful. during the stringing process.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Really???

Ultra slippery? Anything besides that I can't see how it's going to effect the string process with big impact... :confused:

12. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    yep, I am also wondering how slippery it could be compared to bg-65ti and bg-68ti. Don't they just all have ti coating? What kind of problem it may have?:confused:

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Never really deal with 65Ti and 68Ti before. However, I did strung many rackets with Gosen Roots Ti (B505Ti).

The 1st time, yeah, seems the clamps just won't hold at all. Need to tighten the screws a little bit more, but also need to pay attention won't be too tight to get the "cracking" sound (broken Ti coat???). Now, seems I am pretty comfortable with B505Ti. However, if Yonex Ti is even more than that, can't imagine what I can do about it.

14. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    Good Selection

I guess the racket is only as good as the strings. So choosing racquets are like choosing string. U try a bunch and see which one suits u best...

15. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

Chungg,

Here in Asia, we (my friends and I) are prefer to string BG80 (80%), BG68Ti (20%) and my coach like BG65 (Old man falls in love with old lady). All in range of HK$70-100 including labour. Because of the cheap cost (relatively speaking), we even not think about learn-to-be a stringer. We just cut the string when we feel it loose.

In N.America, since you have mention the situation. I think, if your budget allow and you really like this sport, you should take a serious consideration on acquire a stringing machine and learn to string. You can ask you friends in Asia to mail you the strings. In HK, the string pack cost HK$40-45 each only. Airmail costs HK3-5. A stringing machine starts from HK$3,000. My coach said it is definitely an advantage if you could string by yourself but here we live in a small apartment and a stringing machine is a huge equipment which we don't have space to place it. Therefore, most of the players in HK are go to local shop for re-string their rackets.

BTW, talk about the strings. BG65 is definitely get loose very easy. Sometimes it is a unbearable torture to swing your beloved racket strung with a loose and unbreakable string.

BG85, strange feeling. Not as good as BG80.

BG80, my favourite, good repulsion power when strung at least 22lbs. Not very durable if you are a big banger. Feel is great. Sound not very loud as BG68Ti but it is not an important factor.

BG68Ti, better than BG85 in terms of repulsion power. If it loose to 20lbs, and you hit right in the sweet spot, it is like to fire a cannon.

Anyway, I suggest you to try BG80. You will not regret.

16. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member