User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think this is the only SIN XD that has gone this far up to QF in a SS and I believe the coach must have made the right selection to pair them off and Yao and Shinta with the other guys. They would have made Singapore history by entering the SF, had Danny not fumbled during the crucial stages. So far, I think Yao and Shinta have not made as much impact in XD as Danny and Vanessa.

I suppose the coach must have also considered that Yao and Shinta have a better chance of
    qualifying for the LOG as a WD pair rather than dissipating too much of their energies in XD.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chrisnanta, Neo's defeat due to lack of level experience

by Philip Goh Haw Hann
    04:47 AM Jan 14, 2012

SINGAPORE - They had four match points but were unable to close out a famous victory over a pairing ranked in the world's top 10.

Instead, Singapore's mixed doubles pair of Danny Bawa Chrisnanta and Vanessa Neo were left wondering what could have been after crashing 13-21, 21-14, 25-27 in the quarter-finals of the Malaysia Badminton Open to Chan Peng Soon and Goh Liu Ying of the host country.

Their defeat at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil last night ended the Republic's challenge at the US$400,000 (S$516,500) Super Series tournament.

Ranked 31st in the world, Chrisnanta and Neo began poorly against their World No 9 opponents, who won the Bitburger Open in Germany two months ago for their first international title.

Team manager Chua Yong Joo attributes the Singapore pair's slow start to their lack of experience at this level of competition.

"This was Danny and Vanessa's first quarter-final match at a Super Series tournament and they didn't get into gear fast enough and were affected by the noisy home supporters," said Chua.

"Things got better in the second game and you could see them gaining confidence, and it was a shame to lose the rubber game which could have gone either way."

Twice at the closing stages of the rubber game, Chrisnanto gave away the advantage cheaply with service faults, and the 23-year-old told Today that he was guilty of hurrying his serve.

"I wanted to win badly and wanted to get the winning point quickly, I'm disappointed because this was a very good opportunity for me and Vanessa to take a step further in Super Series tournaments," Chrisnanta said.

"Vanessa and I have combined well in the one year that we've played together, and this result will encourage us to train harder for competitions in the future."

The next assignment for the Republic's shuttlers will be the Thomas and Uber Cup Asian zone qualifiers in Macau next month (Feb 13-19).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, totally agree.. Chrisnanto was too nervous towards the end of the 3rd set. And the Mas pair got full support from the fans in the stadium.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    I think you are making too much on the abilities of Pan Pan. Any player worth his/her salt now could beat a pair that consists of Pan Pan as one half of it.

For Yao Lei/Triyachart - it was a matter to keeping the shuttle away from Gutta's outstretched left arm and moving her around, which they did not do well.
    I did not have the chance to watch R1 and therefore did not see Pan Pan in action.
    I have assumed that China would not send their talents for overseas competition if they are not up to the mark. We have recently witnessed some of China's new faces who were doing well in WS and WD.

I will have to pay particular attention to Pan Pan in future to confirm whether you are right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Pan Pan is pretty famous. Take notice of other players besides Singaporeans too

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by undeadshot View Post
    I thought Pan Pan is pretty famous. Take notice of other players besides Singaporeans too
    Pan Pan can neither be considered as a "newcomer". She has been around for at least 4-5 years. She was originally paired with Tian Qing, before now being rotated with several WD and XD partners.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry the name doesn't register probably because she hasn't won any majors. If she were as famous as the three Wangs or CHN's top WD and XD pairs, Pan Pan's name would have caught on quite easily. No wonder after playing for as long as 4 or 5 years, Abedeng still considers her as "average".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My search on Pan Pan revealed that she is no pushover indeed. Together with Zhang Yawen she won the Denmark Open 2009 in WD. And she is now only 25 years old.

Denmark Open 2009

Pan Pan [6]/Yawen Zhang [CHN] beat Kamilla Rytter Juhl [2] [DEN]/Lena Frier Kristiansen
    22-20, 18-21, 21-12 (1:09)

PAN Pan
    NOC : China
    Birth Date: 27/04/1986 (25 years)
    Height ( m / in): 1.70/5'6''
    Weight ( Kg / lbs): 60/132
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let's madbad tell u about pan pan
    where are u?madbad?
    dating with her?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Pan Pan's boyfriend is Xu Chen? I thought it was Shen Ye at the 1st place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny Bawa Chrisnanta is a real gem in the SG team. I have seen him play good men doubles with Chayut before, but its a pity that he didn't get a better partner for XD in the QF against MAS today. He almost single-handedly defeated the MAS team while covering everywhere for his partner... If the girl was Yao Lei or just someone more steady and has better defense then they can be really strong.
    I just saw a repeat of this QF match and I must say I was really disappointed with the erratic display by Danny during the critical duece stages of the final game. SIN had four match points and could not convert. And why?

Danny was the culprit. First his serve did not even cross the net. Next he smashed into the net. Third he served short and lastly he killed himself with an easy smash into the net after Vanessa set up well for him.

Vanessa was a tower of strength, calm and steady unlike the error-prone Danny. She served well and created the opportunities for Danny to employ his big smash but he committed the most uncharacteristic errors to give away the important points at such a crucial stage of the decider. Inevitably the SIN pair lost 25-27, with so many unnecessary giveaways by Danny!

I hope Danny will grow up and not become the same player that made so many unforced errors that gave the match away.

Good work Vanessa and I hope Danny will catch up with you as a calming influence.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, Danny is the tower of strength, doing most of the work and Vanessa s job is to serve well and stay out of the way. Mathematics-wise, when Danny generated most of the activity, he would also generate most of the errors. Serving is not Danny s forte and that s one area to polish up. However, if Vanessa can hunt the net as well as Imogen Bankier or GLY, Danny s job would be more effective and they can really go places. If I may be stark about their importance, I would say, without Vanessa, Danny would still be something; without Danny, Vanessa would be nothing. I am not going to be defensive about our Singapore girl but I often wonder why Vanessa wears oversized clothes. There s no need to wear skirts for Paisan s pleasure but wear the women s size, not Derek Wong's! No one has proven this yet but Physics would suggest that wearing right size gear would not drag movement and slow down speed and waste precious energy like oversize ones. You see that in MD, now they wear what looks like Bermudas rather than shorts. May be ok for tennis but not optimum for badminton. Yonex is not helping their sponsored MDs. The last time I saw, KooTan were wearing shorts that reached down to their knees. How does that help, if not impede movement? I often see INA MD pulling up one side of their shorts, as play progresses, as if to say, shorter helps me move better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is of not much use if you play very well but crumbled during the most crucial stages and cause the team to lose the match with so many unforced errors.

A tower of strength should not fall apart so easily but should instead be a good example for his partner to emulate - a calming influence not ridden with so many simple mistakes when it mattered most.
    Last edited by Loh; 01-27-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For most of the match and especially towards the end, it was MAS two( plus the crowd) against SIN one, that s why Danny s a tower of strength. In the final stage, the match could go either way; Danny made the mistakes of inexperience in rushing his serve but that did not mean he crumbled. If he did, MAS would have won the match many points before.In the end, GLY thought better and took the risk by surprising with a flick serve to set off their win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at how Danny played the final match points and how he gave away many easy points that I mentioned previously.

No matter how well he performed in the earlier stages it was of no use to the team if he crumbled in the end. Remember the XD is a partnership and not a one-man show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singapore’s shuttlers continue to lag behind in SEA

By Daniel Teo | Fit To Post Sports – 16 hours ago

Derek Wong was part of the Singapore squad at the Axiata Cup. (Yahoo! file photo)

Singapore badminton continues to lag behind neighbouring powerhouses such as Malaysia and Indonesia after crashing out of the Axiata Cup.

Also known as the ASEAN Men's Team Championship
    , the inaugural Axiata Cup saw men's teams from Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, and two teams each from hosts Malaysia and Indonesia battle it out from 23 March to 15 April.

But the Republic's slim hopes in the annual competition were soon extinguished after 3-0 defeats to both hosts in Group J, although they managed to finish third with a 2-1 victory over Vietnam.

It was not enough to see them through to the semi-finals as only the top two teams from both Group J and Group K progressed.

Speaking to Yahoo! Singapore, team manager Bobby Lee pointed out why Singapore continues to play catch up with the likes of Malaysia and Indonesia.

He said: "The scale of talent is a big factor. We can't really overcome the talent scale problem, which is ultimately down to the amount of money pumped into the sport."

"What we are hoping is that when the Sports Science Institute is set up, we will be able to use some of the sports technology to overcome our weakness in talent scale."

"We are also trying to get our local players to step up. That's why we are pushing a lot more in terms of youth development. We are also organising more events in order to attract more talents," he added

Lee also revealed the reason for sending a second-tier team to Jakarta and admitted there was no pressure for the players to perform.

"Our main purpose for the tournament is to help the players gain more exposure and sparing opportunities with some of the top players from the region. So we didn't put too much pressure on them," he said.

"We sent in a second tier team because for the first team we are trying to get them chalk up more qualification points for the Olympics.

"Next year we will probably put in a strong team and I expect us to pose a greater challenge," he added.

Lee went on to access the performances of the team, which consisted Chayut Triyachart, Danny Bawa Chrisnanta, Derek Wong, Ashton Chen, Chao Huang, Robin Gonansa, Terry Yeo and Yi Liu.

He said: "Overall I am quite happy with their performance considering they do not have much support from Singaporeans because the competition was quite low key."

"Chao Huang did well in all his matches. Against Indonesia's Sony Dwi Kuncoro he started out very well in the first set but couldn't handle his experience," shared Lee.

"For the doubles team all of them did pretty well in the first match against the Malaysians. The second match they played against former world champions Hendra Setiawan and Markis Kido from Indonesia. So it was a good opportunity to spa with them."

"Against Vietnam we were expected to win except for Robin who came against the world no.7 Nguyen Tien Minh," he added.

Another problem plaguing Singapore badminton is the relatively short career span of players, who tend to leave the sport prematurely due to other commitments.

He explained: "The problem we have now is to keep them in the sport long enough for them to produce results on the international arena."

"A lot of the players tend to quit when they are about to reach their peak at around 22 to 23 due to other pursuits be it academic or other interests. So we hope to get the players to stay in the sport longer instead of hanging up their racquets so soon."

With the London Olympics approaching in four months, Lee gave an update of the players' bid for qualification.

He added: "Our women's doubles team of Yao Le and Shinta Mulia Sari have more or less qualified for the games based on their current world rankings. The question now is whether they will able to get us a medal at the Olympics."

"As for the women's singles, I am confident that either Gu Juan or Fu Ming Tian will make the cut while the men are still working hard to qualify," said Lee, before adding, "There are still three more competitions (Australian GP, India Super Series and the Badminton Asian Championships) for them to qualify before the deadline on 30 April."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Susilo and wife welcome first son

Former national shuttler Ronald Susilo married audit manager Widyana Mulia in a ceremony at Marina Bay Sands on May 15, 2011.

AsiaOne
    Wednesday, Apr 25, 2012

SINGAPORE - Former national shuttler Ronald Susilo and his wife, Widyana Mulia, welcomed their newborn yesterday morning, reported The Straits Times (ST).

The baby weighed 2.7kg and was born through natural delivery at Thomson Medical Centre after about 16 hours in labour.

The couple named their first born Rafael Edward - and no, it is not after tennis great, Rafael Nadal.

Susilo, who witnessed the birth of his son, told ST: "We went for pre-natal classes, but I've forgotten most of what we learnt.

Both 32 years old, the couple of Indonesian heritage got married last year after dating for more than a year.

They told ST that they will live in Singapore to raise Rafael and the excited father said he will give his son badminton lessons when he grows up.

Susilo, who was named 2005 Sportsman of the Year, now runs his own badminton academy and doubles up as a financial adviser with Great Eastern. His wife works as an audit manager.

maryanns@sph.com.sg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Loh; 04-25-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast