Recommend a racket for my friend - stiff and even balanced

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by CanucksDynasty, Jun 1, 2011.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Some of you may have read my stories on the VT80 thread that my friend hates his VT70 and has permanently shelved it. He hasn't decided to sell his VT70 yet. But he has mentioned buying a new racket. He said he was looking for a stiff even balanced racket this time. So what do you all suggest?

Some info to consider...
    1. He'll be using this racket for singles, men's doubles, and mixed doubles.
    2. Skill level is about average to intermediate.
    3. Likes to smash and seldom does drops (but he can do it).
    4. No price limit.
    5. No brand preference.

I honestly think he'd be better off with a slightly head heavy stiff racket.

Thanks,
    CD.

2. zero_hour

zero_hour Regular Member

VT70 is slight head heavy if im not mistaken,i dont know why he hate it,.....

stiff + slight head heavy = apacs TanTrum200 ,i sold mine because my skill sucks ;) hahaa,you need a good wrist to use this racket,

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    slightly head heavy + stiff = MX80

stiff even balance = BS10

I would go for MX80 though..

4. CanucksDynasty

I think it's cuz the VT70 is medium flex. So he is opting for a stiff flex. And he wants to go back to even balanced and not head heavy.

So please suggest stiff-even balanced if possible.

I was thinking he'd do well with the MX80 too.
    And if not...he could sell to me at a discount :D

Thanks for suggesting the BS10.
    CD.

5. Iori

Iori Regular Member

The arc8dx is rated as extra stiff and even balanced. Although I think Yonex rates 295-300 as "even balanced" while lots of people consider that slight head heavy.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

1) I agree with the BS10.
    2) Panda Power Trinity Pro is also stiff and , IMO, best chosen with an even balance point.
    3) And, if he is not a slave to all that is new, the Cab30MS is still available in some places and might be right up his alley.

7. khoai

khoai Regular Member

If you look at the Yonex chart, rackets stiffer than VT70 are CAB30, AT900T and all NS series. Head-heavy or not depend on how strong his wrist/pronation/supination. But I think a player should go for a head-heavy racket if he wants to improve on the long run. On the other hand, putting more time on the racket will help as well especially changing rackets from one end to another on the chart (as long as he doesn't hate the racket). That's just my own experiences going from Ti10 to Arc10 to NS9900 and VT80.[​IMG]

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Left-right is not flexible to stiff otherwise the VT70 and NS6600/7700 for example would all be stiffer than the 8DX or AT900P ... in the old charts there was a power axis, where power = stiffness iirc ...

Also I think the Yonex balance description on the shaft is more for the series as a whole than the individual model. On the whole you could say the ArcSaber series is an even balanced one, whereas the AT series on the whole can be called head heavy and with their 4U models "Ultra Light Weight" (for Yonex standards anyway). Which leaves the NS series which on the whole deserves the head light moniker [​IMG]

As for racket suggestions: anything Forza N-Forze from Ti-280 up and 290mm bp? (280/290 or 550/555S, 400 perhaps) Aside from the already mentioned ones ...

#8 demolidor, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  9. khoai

khoai Regular Member

demolidor,

"Stiffness" as we call it in badminton does not literally mean stiffness in science. It's the feeling of the racket head lag behind when swinging, not the when bending the racket with both hands. Think about a head-light racket when you add lead tape or whatever to make it head-heavy. When you swing it, you would feel the head-heavy version is more flexible although that's the same stiff shaft. That's why the current YY chart makes much more sense than the old one, which showed somewhat scientific stiffness. Have you ever wondered why the bottom left and top right corners of the current chart are rather vacant? That's right, you would need crazily flex shafts to accommodate head-light rackets to fill the bottom left and perhaps squash rackets would fill the top right. But it's not realistic given the limit of human strength.

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

It is a good reasoning but it would also mean every flexible Armortec should be left of all ArcSabers which they clearly aren't (on the international chart) [​IMG]. And "we" have put the Mizuno TC700 somewhere top-rightish :D

11. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

The tc700 is not that head heavy.. The proof is that my arms hasn't fallen off using ... 3. It just have a crazy smash.

Actually, all my tc700 are less HH than my mx80.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

which yonex racket has he used and liked?

arc 10 is very user friendly if he hasn't tried it before

13. Koooko

Koooko Regular Member

Bankers
    U dont mind cheaper racquet?Im have YY MP 45, its stiff and even balanced. Serve me well.

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Well "we" = me and Twobeer ;). Mine aren't all that headheavy either but still they are more headheavy by a good margin than the NS9900 and therefore "have to" be placed somewhere in the top-right. Twobeer's apparently are even more headheavy and he placed them even higher than halfway where I had mine [​IMG]. [​IMG] Maybe I/we should investigate for the presence of lead tape :p

#14 demolidor, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  15. CanucksDynasty

He's had ...
    1. Forza (can't remember type) - broken
    2. Kimoni NP3000 - broken
    3. Yonex NS9900 - broken

Currently using Gosen Roots and Yonex VT70 as backup.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.
    CD.

16. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

If I were to place it on the chart, it's twice the distance to the right than the NS9900 but the tc700 is certainly head heavier than the NS9900 (which in YY's chart seems balanced). I think it's around level (vertically) as the Cab30ms.

Anyway, YY's chart is a marketing scam so I will not place the tc700 anywhere near that thing.

17. CanucksDynasty

Thanks for all the suggestions. My friend has decided to get the Arcsaber 10.

18. CanucksDynasty

So my friend finally got the Arcsaber 10 today. He absolutely loves it. His smash is back and has much better control and accuracy. I still beat him in the singles games we played but each game was close. I think after a few more sessions, he'll start winning more.

We also tried out Victor Master Tournament 1 feathers. Not bad. Need to play some more with it but I think it's not as durable as the Yonex AS50.