Just Started

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shuttlecock7, Apr 28, 2003.

1. shuttlecock7

shuttlecock7 Regular Member

I have just begun to play badminton competitively at my school, and while I am not very good, I am a fairly decent athlete and really enjoy badminton. I was wondering, what areas of my game I should work on the most? My serve is the strongest point of the game right now.

2. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I am no expert player myself, but if you are gong to be serious about badminton, then, IMO, the most important thing to learn is footwork. It is the foundation on which the game itself is based on.

Despite its importance, it is probably the most often overlooked aspect in badminton. When most people start playing badminton, all they want to do is to hit the shuttle around. And once they got used to their incorrect footwork, it becomes extremely difficult to erase the wrong steps from your muscle memory.

-Rick

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Just wondering what kinda serve u using? Flick? Back hand? Long serve? Short?

Also, which event u participate the most? Single? Double?

4. shuttlecock7

I use backhand for more accuracy; I can usually drop it on the front line. However, once my opponent starts playing up, I switch to a forehand serve. I can still be accurate, but this way I can smash it over their heads or drop it in front. Thanks for your responses.

5. shuttlecock7

Oh, also, I usually play singles but I like playing doubles the most.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Backhand short serve: What u will do if ur opponent can put a deep clear in return, or drop u back (say, on ur back hand front side)?

2. Forehand serve: still a short serve? or a long one? What do u mean by "smash it over or drop it in front"? Do u mean use serve to drag opponent off position, then attack?

7. modious

modious Regular Member

IMO, both footwork and grip are the 2 most basic things people should learn.

However, the most important thing that everyone should first learn are the basic grips (backhand, forehand, universal). Of course there're variations but the basic grips are necessary in order to understand/play the game well. Wrong gripping of racket will affect/limit your strokes.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Totally agree.

I think "grip" should be the 1st of the 1st. With wrong grip methods, not only the strokes will be greatly limited, but also much more chances for wrist/arm injuries.

With right "grip", u can start with basic stroke practice as well as drills (with basic footwork involved). This way, u can improve the fundamentals in a safe path. Once u start to get comfortable with the basic stuff, it might be the time to join games to gain experience and time to utlize the "combo".

9. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Dropping is a good thing to do once in a while. If you just keep smashing it, you'll just be to predictable, and your opponent will use drops or anything that'll keep u from smashing and forcing you to lift or clear the birdy.

A basic stratagy i use, is that i clear deep, then drop the birdy or smash it, since they're all the way in the back and its pretty hard to get the bird that fast. And if the manage to get the birdy, I'll hit it back again, making them run more. :p

You also want to vary your serves. Its also a good idea to serve to there backhand, cus they less likely to smash it back to you, unless they can backhand samsh.

10. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Have to second the opinion on footwork being most important because it greatly ease the amount of time it takes for you to get to a shot and when you have more time, your shot will not be forced and you can do what you intend to do.

Grip is important too but I've seem people with varying styles of grip and somehow they can usually compensate and play well enough even if they have slightly abnormal grip. Of course you should correct your grip if you are holding it drastically wrong but that would be the extreme case.

Once you got the footwork and grip down, then you should get to learn about your own strength and work on serves, since you have that down quite well, feel free to move on. :D

Next group of things would be your timing and basic stroke techniques. Then, feel free to get as fancy as you want. :D Just my thoughts.

11. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

I completely agree with this. The movement around the court is important because if you can't get to shuttle you can't hit a shot.