User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    another story. when i first moved to the area i was so-so but keen so started playing tournaments. in my very first tournament, i played in both D singles and doubles. i eventually lost in semi in D-doubles. and for D singles, i lost in the 1st round and got to cons. in the first round of cons i played against this guy who wasn't very good. he lost pretty badly and he got really mad at me for sandbagging. i was rather confused as i was already in cons and i thought since i lost in 1st round that's an indication that i was not more than D material.

that was 12 yrs ago.
    Haha, you didn't sandbag, he is the one that need to go down to level E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Is there an E Level/Grade in Californian tournaments?

Quote Originally Posted by Qidong View Post
    Haha, you didn't sandbag, he is the one that need to go down to level E
    Is there an E Level/Grade in Californian tournaments?

We used to have E-Grade tournaments in Melbourne before, but now we have stopped organising for this grade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Is there an E Level/Grade in Californian tournaments?

We used to have E-Grade tournaments in Melbourne before, but now we have stopped organising for this grade.
    no. there are only A/B/C/D and as u can see the definition of A/B/C/D is rather arbitrary. some tournament have a "Rec" level as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Cannot find our Melbourne Sandbagging thread

no. there are only A/B/C/D and as u can see the definition of A/B/C/D is rather arbitrary. some tournament have a "Rec" level as well.
    Thanks for the answer kwun.

I have been looking to find our Melbourne Sandbagging thread. It used to be located at;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...iton-21-22-May

But now it says "Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" ???

Where is that thread located now? I was going to mention some suggestions posted/offered in that thread for our USA readers here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks for the answer kwun.

I have been looking to find our Melbourne Sandbagging thread. It used to be located at;

But now it says "Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" ???

Where is that thread located now? I was going to mention some suggestions posted/offered in that thread for our USA readers here.
    we received some complaints about the thread and certain participant(s) in that thread, so it was removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down It was removed

we received some complaints about the thread and certain participant(s) in that thread, so it was removed.
    Oh I see.

Even though there were BCers bashing other BCers in that thread, some valuable suggestions were offered/posted by some of our Australian BCers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oh I see.

Even though there were BCers bashing other BCers in that thread, some valuable suggestions were offered/posted by some of our Australian BCers.
    ok. so i have undeleted but locked the thread. it will be viewable but no more replies will be possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Our Melbourne and Victorian Graded tournaments are now located at tournamentsoftware

Oh I see.

BTW, our Melbourne and Victorian Graded tournaments are now located at tournamentsoftware; and this is what they look like;

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...1-F64187D98119

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Have undeleted but locked the thread

ok. so i have undeleted but locked the thread. it will be viewable but no more replies will be possible.
    Thanks for doing that kwun.

American BCers can now read some of the solutions suggested/offered there;

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Give to each of our winners a certificate

Thanks for doing that kwun.

American BCers can now read some of the solutions suggested/offered there;

I read again the whole thread.

Luckily that kwun locked that thread because some posters were trolls there; generating ill debate and ill feeling amongst our BCers. I removed myself from that thread after Post #107 (after I have said enough). Reading back all the posts in that thread makes me want to laugh.

Anyway, this is one of the suggestions that I think is the 'perfect' solution (Post #82);

Maybe the BV ranking system for graded tournaments will work along the same lines as the Open grading --- certain tournaments have a set number of points allocated from winner down....the harder the tournament the higher the points ..... and graded tourney organisers should also be asked to look at the Open rankings..... we would then need a state number for every player with the only players permitted in the lowest grade being those with no state number......or ranking points below a certain figure..... and what about the few people who "trophy hunt" interstate where they think are not known

You could have a ranking for each of the grades....and once again pick a cut off point for the rankings in each grade......The BV tournament co-ordinator (for want of a better term) could set the time frame for the rankings and each tournament would be forced to strictly abide by the rankings for grading of players...no discretion without approval..... maybe this is the way to go..... it's very much the way the OPEN goes.

However, with this ranking points system, it takes a lot of effort to do (the same way at Open tournaments are organised the BWF).

A simpler way (with less effort required) is to give to each of our winners this certificate;

Congratulations. You have won this event. !!!

You are now promoted to the next higher grade for this event in your next tournament.

Last edited by chris-ccc; 06-02-2011 at 08:48 PM.

11. Likes JamesQuah2u liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    True, though you've to wonder why anyone knowingly play 2 levels lower in order to win. What's the meaning of the victory, unless this is the first time the player competes, and he's unsure of his level? If this is the case, you just need to keep playing tournaments, whenever there's one. You can't possibly run into one of these every time, can you?
    It happens all over the world..... As a tournament organiser (director) you place a huge amount of trust in the information that people put on their entry forms......you can only check up on so many entries and against the results of the more well known tournaments..... but what do you do if you get an entry naming a partner but you don't get an entry from the partner......
    The forum thread that chis-ccc is pointing you at was started by a person I let in as a partner of an entry received on the last day of the tournament -- the entry did not state any playing standard so an entry into C and D mixed was permitted (different partners) -- one of the partners was this Maklike Tier........ guy who did not bother to send in his own entry. Turns out the lady played A-res in a weekly competition (probably B tournament) and the guy played B in weekly competition (borderline B/C tournament) so they were sandbagging and got sand-bagged -- JUSTICE really.
    The state body here is about to trial a grading/ranking system -- probably only add an extra level of checking to that already done -- but at least the tournament director will not be the one coping all the flack if people are moved up a level or if yet another SAND-BUGGER slips through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up This is another 'Fun' tournament system: Age Groups

Quote Originally Posted by BaddyGary View Post
    It happens all over the world..... As a tournament organiser (director) you place a huge amount of trust in the information that people put on their entry forms......you can only check up on so many entries and against the results of the more well known tournaments..... but what do you do if you get an entry naming a partner but you don't get an entry from the partner......

The forum thread that chis-ccc is pointing you at was started by a person I let in as a partner of an entry received on the last day of the tournament -- the entry did not state any playing standard so an entry into C and D mixed was permitted (different partners) -- one of the partners was this Maklike Tier........ guy who did not bother to send in his own entry. Turns out the lady played A-res in a weekly competition (probably B tournament) and the guy played B in weekly competition (borderline B/C tournament) so they were sandbagging and got sand-bagged -- JUSTICE really.

The state body here is about to trial a grading/ranking system -- probably only add an extra level of checking to that already done -- but at least the tournament director will not be the one coping all the flack if people are moved up a level or if yet another SAND-BUGGER slips through.
    IMHO, the 'Graded' tournaments system is a Western system of 'Fun' tournaments organised to bring in players of the same level/skill to come together to participate.

This is another tournament system; It is used in some Eastern countries. It's the 'Age Groups' tournaments. Some Eastern countries believe that gathering players of the same age groups could be just as 'Fun' for them to participate in.

The Age Groups could be;

* Under 18
    * 18-25
    * 26-35
    * Over 35

In this system, an ID (Passport, Driver's license, or other ID's) is all that is needed for entry.

My experience in these tournaments makes me feel the 'Fun' atmosphere when playing in them too. Perhaps most people of the same age groups can get together friendlier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if a C-Grade player coming from California to Australia to play and wish to play in our Australian (Melbourne) D-Grade, we cannot say no.
    I don't think this really is a big issue. If a player traveled far to play in a tournament, he typically would be the more ambitious type. I doubt he would sandbag his way just to win. Anyhow, he might still play two flights, as he's not sure exact level(s) of the local players.

Back to here in the Bay Area, a D-level tournament is usually quite crowded, consisting of easily 5 rounds (or some 32 people). If the OP gets to the 3rd round and runs into a sandbagger, it'd be 1 in 4 chances (as there'd be 4 matches in the 3rd round), assuming there's one sandbagger in that level at that tournament. And if he runs into the sandbagger in the 2nd round, it'd be 1 in 8. That's why I say, just keep playing tournament, and you can also work out the issue statistically.

After all, you can also look at the whole thing this way. If you already know he's sandbagging, you can find out how you're doing by comparing scores you can get from him, and how other competitors fare against him. You may not ultimately get the D-level trophy, but you can kinda get a sense of where you stand, I think. Wouldn't that be enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the OP gets to the 3rd round and runs into a sandbagger, it'd be 1 in 4 chances (as there'd be 4 matches in the 3rd round), assuming there's one sandbagger in that level at that tournament. And if he runs into the sandbagger in the 2nd round, it'd be 1 in 8.
    The problem lies with the sand bagger entering the flight in the first place. Not the statistical chance I will run into them.

Your statistics are incomplete. By your logic there is a 1/8 chance then 1/4 then 1/2 and then 1/1 chance. So in the end there is a 100% chance you will get beaten.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's actually another format, though not sure if it's better. Use the 1st round (and maybe the second round also) to decide people's levels. A drops B, C drops D. And you could put previous winners at a certain level as seeded players to play/calibrate the unseeded ones.

This should eliminate a lot of cases that players themselves are not sure of their levels, and join more than 1 levels. Anyone has any experience with this format?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by illusionistpro View Post
    Your statistics are incomplete. By your logic there is a 1/8 chance then 1/4 then 1/2 and then 1/1 chance. So in the end there is a 100% chance you will get beaten.
    True, it's incomplete, though I also pointed out you can use relative comparison in scoring to figure out what level you're at, relative to all other competitors, esp. if you already figure out he doesn't belong to this level. Unless, of course, winning the trophy is important to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's actually another format, though not sure if it's better. Use the 1st round (and maybe the second round also) to decide people's levels. A drops B, C drops D. And you could put previous winners at a certain level as seeded players to play/calibrate the unseeded ones.

This should eliminate a lot of cases that players themselves are not sure of their levels, and join more than 1 levels. Anyone has any experience with this format?
    I have seen this and i can honestly say, if the field is big enough, it takes too long. I believe the reason there are grades is so there is no need for this preliminary ranking, and the matches can flow faster. With a First round that big, it would take a few hours.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast