Rehydration drinks

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Matt Ross, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Rehydration Drinks (Isotonic etc...)

Hi all,

Ok, just to claify on a few points about the whole rehydration drinks etc as i never really thought about it until now. Water, if consumed in large quantities during games can make you feel sluggish and bloated? Drinks such as Lucozade work well for about an hour but after that time slot, it has the same affect as water and makes you feel sluggish? Would simple drinks such as Robinsons with water be benificial to you? What would you need to add to make the fluid intake quicker, sugar?
    For those in England, is there any good isotonic drinks or powder in supermarkets like Tesocs?

Cheers
    Matt

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I think Tesco's sell some kind of rehydration powder. I would agree about Luzozade, but then you can keep drinking it. I'm not sure. Some people say they get an energy burst then a loss of energy. I find if you consume it at a constant rate then it's ok. Water makes you sluggish? I don't know about that, but I find water a little difficult to consume after a certain point I want some squash or something. It's like rackets I guess, what might suit the body of one person doesn't suit another. As long as you drink enough the differences between these drinks shouldn't be too great.

3. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    UKP,

Do you know this rehydration powder?

Matt

4. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Water works fine for me. When I want a sports drink, I prepare another bottle, half orange juice half water. OJ contains potassium, vitamins, and fructose, which is absorbed more slowly in the body than sucrose, so you don't get that sugar high and then the letdown when it's all used up.

5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    No I was talking to a player who had it.

6. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

7. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
  8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    P.S. which Science in sport product do you use? Is it PSP22?

9. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Yep. PSP22 when warming up/before games and Electrolyte when warm/during games. The main selling point is that it is easy to mix up. You could use Sunny Delight and water with sea salt (mmm:) mmm!) but you have to mix it before and carry a lot of stuff with you. The only problem with SiS drinks I have found is that many leisure centre taps are not high enough to fit the bottle under. Oh, and of course the green hair, blurred vision and psychotic ideation :D !!

10. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Slanter,

Where did u get the SiS powder from, supermarket or mail order?

Matt

11. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Mail order. Make sure you get one drinks bottle for every type of powder. They don't taste bad but mixing them is not overly pleasant. Happy slurping:p !!

12. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Drink during playing

Hi !!!
    Does anybody has a experience how much you have to drink during playing badminton?

I always drink about 2 litre of sport drink for 2-3 hour playing.
    Is that enough or not ?

Thanks.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    depends entirely on how much you sweat, how hard you work. you can need upto 4litres/hour maybe more. i sweat quite a lot. do you feel dehydrated afterwards, start to get headache? if you drink enough your body should only feel tiredness from muscle fatigue. remember when you sweat however you lose salts from the body as they dissolve in your sweat, so you should have a teaspoon of body balanced salts. if you dont you will feel tired early s you lose the salts that make your nerves work to move your muscles.

14. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

most reputable sports drinks have enough ions in there so no need to worry about salts. If you are thirsty then drink. If urine is yellow drink. Otherwise don't worry about it. Drinking more than you need to harm your game as much as not drinking enough. Unless you have a reason to drink, don't.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The maximum amount of fluid you lose with sweat is more than the maximum amount you can replace through drinking during the period of exercise. End result is overall loss of water.

Therefore, it seems logical (and previous posters have said this) to drink some fluid, before the start of the games. As to the exact amount, this seems difficult to ascertain, but 250ml of isotonic fluid (or similar) 15mins before the game starts, and supplementation during breaks is reasonable. You may want to drink more beforehand and during rest periods if you sweat a lot.

I, personally, rather be slightly overhydrated than dehydrated on the basis of fluid being harder to replace once lost.

#15 Cheung, Apr 30, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2003
  16. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Ussualy I drink about 100 ml just before the game, then I drink about the some value between the sets.
    After finished, I drink more, about 250 to 300 ml.
    I feel bad if I drink too much between the sets. Seems like my stomach full. And I can't move quickly.

17. Bunni

Bunni Regular Member

High School Student
    I don't really measure how much i drink, but i usually chug a good amount after a long tiring game (and yeah, it's probably a bad thing since it kinda weighs me down afterwards!). But I think as long as your body tells you it wants more water, drink until your body feels re-energized again.. not until you feel like going to the washroom all time time :D

18. tarepanda

tarepanda Regular Member

Automotive Service Technician Apprentice and Colle
    Like which ones? Powerade and stuff like that? Which one do you recommend?

Tare Panda

19. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Probably TP. Water is still probably the best thing to drink if you're only going to play like 2 hours. I think that after a long period of time, you need something like powerade to restore the electrolytes in your body.

20. tarepanda

tarepanda Regular Member

Automotive Service Technician Apprentice and Colle
    What is TP? I usually play for like 3 - 4 hours now so what do you suggest? Should I drink stuff like Powerade before I start playing or during?

Tare Panda