Proper Footwork Drills

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Adam, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

During off court, are there any useful practices to improve foot steps, for that matter to eliminate wrong ways of moving the steps?

2. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    hey adam, seeing as how you are new, welcome
    but just to point out, you should try using the search button. there you will find more on footwork then you have ever imagined. no i'm not joking. try it now, we're trying to cut down on repeated posts, and its your first time so remember BF rule number one...

!Use the Search Luke!

3. Tony Roddis

Tony Roddis Regular Member

Hi, can anybody help.When i play singles,a lot of the time i find it really difficult to time my split step with my opponents hit ,which as you can imagine throws my game out .But sometimes i accidently get it right which makes a massive difference to all aspects of my game, i tend to flow around the court everything becomes easier . Is there without getting too in depth a method or drill to enable me to get the correct timing for my split step e,g do i do a split step before,when,or after my opponent strikes the shuttle please help!

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Here's a simple drill that will help you learn the timing of the split step, and also improve your footwork generally; it's called "corners work":

Your partner stands in one corner of the court, and you must hit the shuttle back to him. He should play loose netshots and high lifts, so that you have enough time to reach them. He should, however, be deceptive if possible, to force you to use good footwork and avoid relying on anticipation.

5. Tony Roddis

split step

:D Thanks,Gollom i will give it a try. Is there a specific time when one should use the split step in relation to your opponent hitting the shuttle. I have been told to use it just after your opponent strikes the shuttle is this correct

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, that is correct. The split step should be timed so that you complete it just after you know where the shuttle is going.

7. Tony Roddis

split step

:) thanks! Gollom nice one! T.R