User Tag List

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Haha, don't worry Staiger1, it's weird but even I think Badminton Canada needs constructive criticism now and then. Otherwise, things just don't get done. We can barely even do an annual National team camp because people have their own personal goals and BCAN doesn't want to force anything on anyone, so exceptions are made and plans are changed. I suppose it is one of their values in their mission statement with regards to equal opportunities for everyone so we're the type of country that if we bring a big team, we will find someway to play EVERYONE.In regards to rich business person sponsors, I think badminton needs some more buzz. Even that whole skirt rule fiasco did fairly well with getting more attention, though unfortunately not a very positive one. However, I felt they scrapped the rule too soon. People were coming up with ways to protest the rule and they weren't given the chance to perform. That could have been some good buzz right there. Otherwise, we need to find some way of making viral videos or doing something outrageous but not criminal :P Doing a personal blog isn't that tough, but throwing in media like pictures and videos of behind the scenes would be really cool if someone from each country could do the same. Maybe the BWF should force associations to have a media manager, that way the players can keep playing

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The skirt fiasco was "good buzz" for badminton?
    It would be a little sad if all we could imagine to attract attention to badminton in Canada was tawdry news stories? Should we be hoping that Stephan Wojcikiewicz gets caught robbing a bank or Anna Rice carries Michael Buble's love-child. That would attract attention, but probably not money.

The only things certain to attract money to fringe sports are success and beauty. The only other hope is, as was mentioned, a millionaire fan.
    SO towbsss, continue to train to win. But don't forget to look good while doing it. And smile nicely at anyone in a Rolls-Royce.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Positive buzz for the skirt rule, no. I would think that it was negative buzz for the BWF but if they didn't give up on the rule and forced players to protest, the players who protest may get some positive buzz. Stephan robbing a bank is nothing special unless he robbed it naked or something outrageous. Anna with the love-child would definitely be interesting. Now you have attracted a whole group of Michael Buble's fans. Any badminton player + celebrity combo would definitely help Heck, even if they shot a music video with some people playing in the background, that would be interesting. A lot of the popular celebrities nowadays are those who do pretty outrageous things. Look at your Lady Gaga's and LMFAO's (i.e. Sexy and I Know It). I wouldn't say they are great at music, but they sure know how to sell it. However, their success comes from multiple hits though, so anything criminal would be too short-lived, as you'll probably only get buzz once. Unfortunately, it's tough to put badminton with anything interesting or outrageous as nobody has really tried, but that just gives a lot more opportunity to the first ones to do so

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by towbsss View Post
    ---snip---
    Maybe the BWF should force associations to have a media manager, that way the players can keep playing
    Absolutely love this idea! I wonder why BCan is not being a bit more proactive in this regard. And in fact, even expand on it. Many associations that I know of, don't shy from pushing aggressively for financial support from their natural/fan base and corporates. Some even use call centres for this purpose! In concert with a media/PR person they might pull in some decent money... has this ever been given some thought by BCan, Toby?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they are slowly trying to do things, but it's a little tough because they don't really push us very far. I know a few of us try to operate our own blogs, but there are a handful of players who won't even bother doing a personal profile for the Badminton Canada website. For example, you can see from a list of the current National Team players who has profiles and who doesn't. However, I can't say for sure that they didn't fill one in, in case Badminton Canada forgot to put up the profile. There are quite a few things missing on their website but I guess they are also understaffed as well. There have been odd requests about putting stuff from my blog or using my video footage up on their website which I am free to share, so long as they just link back to my web spaces, but I really don't know sometimes. I will be running for President at the Badminton Canada Player's Association next week, so hopefully I can help "promote" badminton a little better, as it is one of the Association's core values. Though my influence is still limited, I just hope I can get some good ideas going and keep the system alive so that future player's will have a better opportunity instead of complaining on their websites how there is no money. It's kinda interesting as it's a common theme in most of our blogs at one point or another :P

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go for President of the CPA, towbsss! You have vision and drive: Light a fire under those are happy just to keep the status quo. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by towbsss View Post
    Haha, don't worry Staiger1, it's weird but even I think Badminton Canada needs constructive criticism now and then. Otherwise, things just don't get done. We can barely even do an annual National team camp because people have their own personal goals and BCAN doesn't want to force anything on anyone, so exceptions are made and plans are changed. I suppose it is one of their values in their mission statement with regards to equal opportunities for everyone so we're the type of country that if we bring a big team, we will find someway to play EVERYONE.In regards to rich business person sponsors, I think badminton needs some more buzz. Even that whole skirt rule fiasco did fairly well with getting more attention, though unfortunately not a very positive one. However, I felt they scrapped the rule too soon. People were coming up with ways to protest the rule and they weren't given the chance to perform. That could have been some good buzz right there. Otherwise, we need to find some way of making viral videos or doing something outrageous but not criminal :P Doing a personal blog isn't that tough, but throwing in media like pictures and videos of behind the scenes would be really cool if someone from each country could do the same. Maybe the BWF should force associations to have a media manager, that way the players can keep playing
    It is such ashamed ; if you guys have the funding like in badminton England ....there would be a very good chance the Canadian team could become one of the top team , challenging for titles such as SS , premier and WC ..... If you look at the England national team , they are underachieving with the resources they have in place ........and they know that ; However we do have the infrastructure in place for the future and there are a few upcoming talents (training at the national badminton center) ; hopefully in 4-8 years time they can repeat /or better what Gail Emms , Nathan Robertson did in the Olympic

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Congrats for the mixed doubles title and commiserations on the men's doubles. Looked like it was a long match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely your result in Men's Doubles should prompt the selectors to think again about their selection? You proved capable enough to provide a substantial challenge, and could have won the match.

And do you get extra funding now, cause Grace won both events?

Congratulations regardless I'm sure you had to let your brother win something

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Staiger1 View Post
    It is such ashamed ; if you guys have the funding like in badminton England ....there would be a very good chance the Canadian team could become one of the top team , challenging for titles such as SS , premier and WC ..... If you look at the England national team , they are underachieving with the resources they have in place ........and they know that ; However we do have the infrastructure in place for the future and there are a few upcoming talents (training at the national badminton center) ; hopefully in 4-8 years time they can repeat /or better what Gail Emms , Nathan Robertson did in the Olympic
    Yes, for sure. Chris Adcock and Imogen Bankier are doing pretty well though They are one of my favourite teams on the circuit

Haha thanks Cheung! They had live streaming at livestream.com/badmintonlife, but I will be uploading a copy of all the matches very shortly The MD match was definitely quite interesting and we had a good time playing as well! Will post here when it's up!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    Surely your result in Men's Doubles should prompt the selectors to think again about their selection? You proved capable enough to provide a substantial challenge, and could have won the match.

And do you get extra funding now, cause Grace won both events?

Congratulations regardless I'm sure you had to let your brother win something
    Thanks! Yeah, I did make the team. It was between us and this other team with team that gets to go that makes it further in the draw. The other team from Quebec lost in the QFs to Pang/Guiffre so we were pretty much set a couple of days ago. It was nice to challenge the top MD team in Canada though I'm not just a Mixed player :P We got some good prize money and a bonus from Yonex though, so that will definitely help as I'm looking to get a new computer. That way I can do some more video editing and make more badminton videos

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are all the matches I filmed. Filming at the Glencoe Club is terrible as the back wall is REALLY close to the back of the court, but I did what I could :P I only have my 2 semifinal matches and all 5 finals. Enjoy

XD SF: Ng/Gao vs. Li/Bourret
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBkzz8uKV2w

MD SF: Vandervet/Ng vs. Lau/Campbell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKnfu6XBYxo

XD F: Ng/Gao vs. Ng/Bruce
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_Uzqmb76U

WS F: Li vs. Ko
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbO70t9U0U

MS F: Pang vs. Milroy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPAzQUlir9g

WD F: Ko/Gao vs. Bruce/Li
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmNnHVcLedg

MD F: Liu/Ng vs. Vandervet/Ng
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P8qZQxdR2U

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the upcoming All England: With a little luck in qualifying, am I right in reading that Toby could be facing brother Derrick in the first round of XD?
    (Vita Marissa not going to roll over easily in qualifiers, though)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right.Looks like our MD gotten really unlucky with the draw, facing Cai Yun and Fu HaiFeng in the 1st round

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smarhiel View Post
    Your right.Looks like our MD gotten really unlucky with the draw, facing Cai Yun and Fu HaiFeng in the 1st round
    Who? Never heard of them! Probably just a couple rookies -- no problem for our Canadian boys!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly I could face my brother, but those are some tough rounds as Grace and I lost to the Korean team in the 2011 Korea Grand Prix Gold :P It'd be a good warm up for his Doubles though

All Thomas/Uber Cup footage I have has been uploaded to my YouTube Channel if you haven't seen them yet!

http://www.youtube.com/towbsss

Also, a big thanks to those from BadmintonCentral who took photos of us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you guys are enjoying your time in London , tough draw for your brother but you and Grace got some qualifiers which can either be good or bad .. good luck and hope to see you winning a few matches.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast