User Tag List

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

towbsss, what in that case, do you really see as the role of Badminton Canada?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Badminton Canada is currently in the works with compiling Integrated Support Team (IST), which most sports already have. This team would include physiotherapy, exercise physiology, nutrition, sport psychology and such, which would be at least catered to the National Team for now. The 2013-2014 National Team invitations have been sent out to 12 players (6 male, 6 female) and we will see who accepts.

The role of Badminton Canada is primarily a supportive role, but they still monitor the progress of the athletes. I think they try and help when they can, but there is a lot of leniency given to athletes and coaches to work in whichever way they are most comfortable with. As the NSO in other countries can sometimes dictate what players should do, I find Badminton Canada allows quite a bit of flexibility.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That seems like a good compromise...on that level of competition, you need to get regular check-ups and treatments and doing that on your own is nigh impossible (if you're not working a full job on the side - but when would you sleep, then? ). I have no idea what the system was so far, but putting together a team to support the various national athletes is definitely the way to go (to cut down on cost, they'll probably be responsible for all national athletes rather than just one sport in particular).
    Getting advice on nutrition and 'coaching' on conditioning/strengthening are vital as well, I know more than one player around here training in a completely wrong way (training like bodybuilders, doing long endurance runs,....)...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    In a badminton backwater, like where I live, the coaches are volunteers with variable knowledge of training. It would be helpful for Badminton Canada to supply access to straightforward guidelines/tips for coaches, volunteers and players on the best exercises and training for kids of various ages to prevent injury --especially for those who live far from the superior resources of places like Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. FIFA has widely promulgated a knee injury prevention program for all levels of soccer/football to use. If Badminton Canada would do the same, that would be great.
    Actually, I would like to address the notion of the knee injury prevention program in soccer/football. I think it's a good idea to have in place, as the exercises pretty much cover most of the athletes, and the NCCP (National Coaching Certification Program), which is Canadian, offers a module on Injury Prevention and Recovery. In this module, they have this thing called the '12 PAK' of prevention and performance where they use 12 dynamic movements to keep most athletes in check. The combination of the exercises is very well rounded, as it is meant to be used in all sports.

It's a good way to start, but it's kind of the same thing when you lump everyone into a pre-set exercise program. If everyone did the P90X, everyone would probably struggle at different points, and an individual approach is always the best, although much more time consuming. However, when you look at beginner badminton, even kids will lunge differently and develop that in different ways. Sometimes it could be an issue of flexibility, sometimes it could be an issue of motor control, in that something else is amiss, which doesn't allow the leg to lunge. To simply strengthen things by "doing them repeatedly" may not work all the time. The athlete develops an improper lunge, and then one day it's the thing that could injure them.

It does seem like I'm nit-picking, and I am , but I think sport should be a lifetime experience, not the thing that gives you another obstacle in life. Diet could be also done the same way, and although athletes can probably get away with eating poorly, it's not so much about performance, because I believe that as long as you get enough nutrients, you're fine, but rather the habits they take with them after they leave sport. Coaches who aren't sticky on injury prevention to their athletes, may develop an athlete who will coach in the same manner. If nutrition isn't addressed, then how will they adapt after they finish competing in sport? Some athletes adapt rather well, but I'm sure most will have trouble adjusting to a lower Caloric intake because they reduce the level of their activity. Diets too, we can't all have the same diet, but it can be pretty close.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the detailed response.
    By no means was I suggesting Badminton Canada dictate a rigid program of exercises and diet for all Canadian players; just easier access to useful resources.

And that is good to know about the modules of the NCCP that include injury prevention information. Hats off to all those coaches who give their own time and money to take and teach these courses.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Apropos this current discussion, my personal observation can be summed up with the following lines of wisdom.....

Sally Gerber: You know you did everything you could. Dont you?
    Chief Red Garnett: I dont know nothin. [pause] Not one damn thing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want an insider view of the 2013 World Team Championships, Sudirman Cup, check out my fb page at www.facebook.com/derrickngbadminton! If you like, please share!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Canada Day (yesterday... awkward)! For those interested in a free footwork app to use on your tablets (Apple/Android), check out this other thread I made: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...84#post2108784

It is developed in Canada and I know how hard it can be to find someone to train with sometimes, but now there are no excuses (all excuses should be forwarded to the other thread )!

Anyway, most of us Canadians are getting ready for US Open (some are in Russia for the Universiade), and then our very own Canada Open shortly in Vancouver. Draws can be found on the BWF website respectively.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Toby, the video you had posted earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14bjIuA-CQM
    the audio has been muted for uh, copyright stuff....

Do you think you could strip the music track and re-upload with just your lovely voice?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow... that really sucks I will dig it up and upload it to dropbox maybe.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here it is, all 1.5GB. It took a long time to upload haha... enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dr3unvozu...01%20Final.mpg

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

interesting sideline article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24298109

Perhaps athletes can't get time away?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    interesting sideline article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24298109

Perhaps athletes can't get time away?
    Hmmmm, bad teeth affect performance, eh?
    So does this mean that the British can expect to finish out of the medals indefinitely?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    Hmmmm, bad teeth affect performance, eh?
    So does this mean that the British can expect to finish out of the medals indefinitely?
    Association or causation?

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16