User Tag List

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Are you using two cams by the way? Just noticing the Singapore XD vid, game 1 is 4:3 480p and game 2 is 16:9 720p ...
    Actually, here is my filming method:
    - If I film the entire match (needs edits), then I use Standard Definition (480p) to make editing easier
    - If I am the one filming (usually), then I can use High Definition (720p) and upload straight to YouTube, uncut
    - I'm using a Samsung Camcorder with an 8GB Internal Hard Drive, and additional 8GB flash cards. I can go as high as 1080i, but that would make uploading even crazier. Besides, I can get more matches with 720p =)

Yup, it was tough playing HHB/YY but it was a great experience nonetheless. They are a pretty funny team to watch as they are quite animated on court in between rallies sometimes It makes them a little less intimidating and makes the match a little more enjoyable. Anyway, the other XD match has been uploaded and posted between Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei [CHN] vs. Tao Jia Ming/Qing Tian [CHN]. I was hoping for something like the 2010 Japan Super Series XD Final, but oh well

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
    No, I am not a member of the Chinese National Team. But I am training with someone who was (or would have been if it wasn't for his bad heart). I am in the right circle of people for Chinese Badminton. I have what you call "关系" or "connections" with the right people. In China, "关系" is how the country is run pretty much. You can do anything and everything if you know the right people.
    Out of interest is the person you are training with Xie Zhongbo ? (Just a guess)On topic: Toby just keep doing what you are doing and you will get to London you and Grace have a really good chance - Good Luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are You playing in the world championship next month in London ?

If so , is everything organized i.e flight ..accommodation , training facilities.

Good luck in the US and Canadian open !!!
    Last edited by staiger; 07-03-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by staiger View Post
    Are You playing in the world championship next month in London ?

If so , is everything organized i.e flight ..accommodation , training facilities.

Good luck in the US and Canadian open !!!
    Yes, a bunch of us are heading to London. Stephan Wojcikiewicz (MS), Michelle Li (WS/WD), Charmaine Reid (WS), Adrian Liu (MD/XD), Derrick Ng (MD), Alex Bruce (WD), Joycelyn Ko (WD/XD), Grace Gao (WD/XD), and myself (XD). I believe this will be the first World Championships for both Michelle and Alex

What we get from Badminton Canada is $500 toward traveling fees and that they will send a National Team coach with us (Jeff White). Unfortunately, that's all we get... but it'll be nice to have an actual coach behind us on court Oh well, it is what it is...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    Out of interest is the person you are training with Xie Zhongbo ? (Just a guess)
    No, my coach's name is 杨硕宇 Yang Suoyu (I think that's how you spell it. I just call him Ben ) But I have heard him say that name before "Xie Zhongbo." Update me. Was he he Lin Dan's Coach before? I will ask him and tell you later.
    Last edited by TheComedian; 07-04-2011 at 05:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
    No, my coach's name is 杨硕宇 Yang Suoyu (I think that's how you spell it. I just call him Ben ) But I have heard him say that name before "Xie Zhongbo." Update me. Was he he Lin Dan's Coach before? I will ask him and tell you later.
    Xie Zhongbo is not LD's coach, Xie Zhongbo, used to be a XD/MD player. But he has practically disapeared from tournaments after he had to retire from a tournament in the middle of a match. I think because he had been complaining of a heart problem or something. And hasn't really been seen since.Xia Xuanze is the man who sits behind LD usually when playing matches, not Xie Zhongbo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    Xie Zhongbo is not LD's coach, Xie Zhongbo, used to be a XD/MD player. But he has practically disapeared from tournaments after he had to retire from a tournament in the middle of a match. I think because he had been complaining of a heart problem or something. And hasn't really been seen since.Xia Xuanze is the man who sits behind LD usually when playing matches, not Xie Zhongbo.
    Oh, I didn't know. The reason i asked was because one of the top coaches in China was "PURCHASED" by a company called "Century City" here in Dongguan. The man has "bought" many players from all over the country. From different provincial teams. The coach's name is similar to the one you have mentioned. That's why I asked. Many Chinese badminton players are forced to retire early because of heart problems. There smaller and have an irregular beat. it can beat to fast and can result in death on court. Basically drop dead and there is nothing anybody can do to stop it or save them.

My coach is a singles player. He is training me only for singles. When I am on a doubles court i have no idea what I am doing or what to do :P Some people have described it like playing singles with a tree in the middle of the court.
    Last edited by TheComedian; 07-04-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For those who are interested in helping our Canadian National players or Badminton Canada, here is a useful link:

http://www.badminton.ca/About_Us/Don...aspx?sflang=en

You can indicate your preferred area of benefit by using the drop-down box in the page. For example, you can indicate that you want the donations to go towards the Senior National Team; or Junior High Performance Development; or Coach Development programs.

You can donate any amount you wish. If you wish to know more or to speak to someone at Badminton Canada for ways to gt more involved, here is some contact info:

Badminton Canada National Office
    2201, Riverside Drive, Suite 99
    Ottawa (Ontario) K1H 8K9
    Tel : 613-569-2424
    Fax : 613-569-3232
    Email : badminton@badminton.ca
    www.badminton.ca

Contact Person : Kyle Hunter, Executive Director.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Toby,

Awesome blog and thanks for taking the time to upload the videos! It's such a travesty that our athletes do not get the funding or the attention required. However, the one great thing out of all of this is the people like you and your teammates and how you guys continue to strive and achieve your dreams. Continue posting to the blog whenever you get the time and I will be there to read.

Keep up the great work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The crowd were amazing for the Indonesia open , even for the Q1/2 day.

Just seen the US open draw , you and Grace are seeded 8 (@ a Grand Prix Gold) , does that give you more motivation to reach the latter stages of the tournament i.e QF , SF or beyond because of the expectation within yourself ?

Sudket's team is in the draw as well .....he is a real character on the court, his style is so unorthodox (love his jump smash) , he is so quick and so flexible . and that unforgettable last point he played at the final of the all England championship

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has David Snider retired? I haven't seen his name anywhere or see him pay since the world championships last year.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Dave is out for a while because he injured his hand, and the doctor said he couldn't 'touch a racquet' for six months. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I was told by other players. Hopefully he will make a comeback soon enough.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2011 US Open Grand Prix Gold - Qualifying Day Footage

Since the internet in the US is good (and free!), I was able to upload 3 Canadian matches overnight:

2011 US Open (GPG) - MD Qualifier R1 - Vandervet/Ng [CAN] vs Christensen/Hem [NOR]
    Game 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q7WKa6O6WU (HD720)
    Game 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCWNzKCZu44 (HD720)

2011 US Open (GPG) - XD Qualifier R2 - Liu/Ying [CHN] vs Vandervet/Liang [CAN]
    Game 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBGVTT1oVAA (still processing)
    Game 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PsiDUSupXc (HD720)

2011 US Open (GPG) - MD Qualifier R2 - Pohan/Pohan [INA] vs Charron/Gaumond [CAN]
    Game 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xizgUUNc2k (SD)
    Game 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKKD8JXa-mE (SD)

I'll try to get some other matches today. Hopefully I don't break the internet at my hotel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome. Thank you so much for this! :-)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having difficulty uploading videos to YouTube here, maybe because I'm uploading HD videos. Here's the only thing I could get up. Some other matches I will be attempting to post will include:

WD 32 - Bruce/Li [CAN] vs Rie/Wakita [JPN]
    XD 32 - Lin/Hsieh [TPE] vs Ng/Chan [CAN]
    WS 32 - Tse [HKG] vs Li [CAN]
    XD 32 - Lui/Ying [CHN] vs Ng/Gao [CAN]

May be a few more after tonight, but enjoy the first set of the WD for now. It has the end bits of the MD match between Vietnam (Nguyen/Tran) and China (Li/Lui).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYazJgbjF6M

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LOL! Just love how Bruce/Li sounds...
    Now if only they could scale similar heights, and I hope they do!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uploading what I can to my YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/towbsss?feature=mhee)

Be sure to check out footage as I might do something crazy soon and take down the entire channel. Grace and I got word today that we were denied funding for this year. We lose $18 000 from Sport Canada and another $6000 from our Provincial government. Also, we lose a year of tuition and a post-secondary institution in Canada. I will blog about the entire case shortly.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast