User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 44
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vacation Home @ Disney World
    Posts
    2,129
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Li Na ( 李娜 )

    Li Na, a former badminton player, had to give up her badminton dream because of fierce competition, has just won the french open at Roland Garros, collected €2,000,000, which is more than 200 times bigger than badminton super series winner can get.

    This win, is equivalent to Lin Dan or LCW won the super series more than 200 times, plus the cost of winning for Li Na was just 1 trip/hotel expenses, while 200 times super series will cost 200 times more on travelling expenses which left badminton prize money not much.

    I am wondering many badminton players in China will give up badminton, and becoming a tennis player soon. Imagine that, a 3rd class badminton player in China could be the best top notch tennis player in the world! And earn 200 times bigger, and if substracted the travelling expensese, could be more than 500 times bigger.
    Last edited by 2cents; 06-05-2011 at 02:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hopefully China economy grows so more money gets into badminton than Tennis :-)

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
    Li Na, a former badminton player, had to give up her badminton dream because of fierce competition, has just won the french open at Roland Garros, collected 2,000,000, which is more than 200 times bigger than badminton super series winner can get.

    This win, is equivalent to Lin Dan or LCW won the super series more than 200 times, plus the cost of winning for Li Na was just 1 trip/hotel expenses, while 200 times super series will cost 200 times more on travelling expenses which left badminton prize money not much.

    I am wondering many badminton players in China will give up badminton, and becoming a tennis player soon. Imagine that, a 3rd class badminton player in China could be the best top notch tennis player in the world! And earn 200 times bigger, and if substracted the travelling expensese, could be more than 500 times bigger.
    I thought French Open, LN gets 1,200,000 Anyway, pro tennis players pay everything on their own while baddy players' expenses are covered by CBA. Now bring in basketball and Yao Ming's NBA contract, that dude has not won anything yet or even played this year so he is doing much better than any CHN athletes since he makes miilions for not even playing
    On rich payout in tennis, there is rich TV broadcast contracts and full house expensive attendance tickets to pay for them. In return TV gets their investment back and much more from advertisements, selling broadcast rights all over the world, etc, etc.....So until baddy captures TV interest, this baby has a long way to go. Separate business from sports

  4. #4
    Regular Member Alapongtai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    whatttt i did not know she was a former badminton player...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default I don't think she could be called as a badminton player

    Quote Originally Posted by Alapongtai View Post
    whatttt i did not know she was a former badminton player...
    She may only play badminton as a kid. Around 13? but she played tennis when she was 6. not sure which sport she spent more time on.

    She looks stronger than most current China national team player.

  6. #6
    Regular Member danielwong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    are gonna talk about Li Na the badminton player or Li Na the tennis player in this thread?? just wonder...

  7. #7
    Regular Member luvina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In fact, tennis is different class than badminton
    If you want to be a rich athelete, tennis is
    one of a solution

  8. #8
    Regular Member drquick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In tennis (and table tennis also) single event both MS & WS get more Prize Money. The double events may have only a half of the singles get. While in Badminton the Prize money have to divided equally in all 5 events MS, WS, MD, WD, XD.
    Also in tennis and table tennis the players often plays both in single and double events so they can earn more money. Of course they who get better achievement in singles event earn much more compare to ones better in doubles event. Some players even can play well in singles and doubles event. In badminton it's only happen back in time before 80's period. There's no chance for now

  9. #9
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,688
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow If you want to be a rich athlete, Tennis is better

    Quote Originally Posted by luvina View Post
    In fact, tennis is different class than badminton
    If you want to be a rich athelete, tennis is
    one of a solution
    .
    True.

    Earlier this year I started a thread titled: Professional Players going Professional (on their own - without their National Associations) and Li Na was used as a prime example.

    At our 2011 Australian Open, Li Na was asked what drove her to victory in the semi-final over world No 1 Caroline Wozniacki, saving a match point en route; and Li Na answered: "Prizemoney".

    Read more: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...g-Professional

    .

  10. #10
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    True.

    Earlier this year I started a thread titled: Professional Players going Professional (on their own - without their National Associations) and Li Na was used as a prime example.

    At our 2011 Australian Open, Li Na was asked what drove her to victory in the semi-final over world No 1 Caroline Wozniacki, saving a match point en route; and Li Na answered: "Prizemoney".

    Read more: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...g-Professional

    .
    Regretfully, badminton is seen to be controlled by the more dominant "third-world, less-developed, economically poorer" Asian countries. Even with the changed image of "capitalist" China, prize-moneys are "minuscule" compared to the "first-world, economically and technically advanced" Western world.

    So we may have to wait for China and the other badminton-dominant Asian countries to become economically advanced first-world countries to match tennis one day.

    Be patient and wait ... wait...wait...

  11. #11
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,688
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow It's not how rich or economically advanced a country needs to be to do well in sport

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Regretfully, badminton is seen to be controlled by the more dominant "third-world, less-developed, economically poorer" Asian countries. Even with the changed image of "capitalist" China, prize-moneys are "minuscule" compared to the "first-world, economically and technically advanced" Western world.

    So we may have to wait for China and the other badminton-dominant Asian countries to become economically advanced first-world countries to match tennis one day.

    Be patient and wait ... wait...wait...
    .
    Disagree. It's not how rich or economically advanced a country needs to be to do well in sports. Here are some examples;

    * Cuba excels in Boxing
    * Jamaica excels in Sprinting (Track and Field)
    * Kenya excels in Marathon
    * etc, etc, ......

    And not all sportspersons do sports just for money.
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 06-05-2011 at 11:44 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Disagree. It's not how rich or economically advanced a country needs to be to do well in sports. Here are some examples;

    * Cuba excels in Boxing
    * Jamaica excels in Sprinting (Track and Field)
    * Kenya excels in Marathon
    * etc, etc, ......

    And not all sportspersons do sports just for money.
    .
    I'm not saying that small countries cannot excel in sports. Indeed there are exceptions as what you have pointed out.

    In fact, on its own, China is able to compete in hitherto unfamiliar sports and able to compete with the giants in the game as shown in the last Olympics. And China will continue to excel in sports for the benefits that superiority in sports will bring to the country in many respects, including politics, economics and social.

    I'm saying that to excel in publicising of their sports world-wide as a giant business they should emulate the marketing methods and networks of the advanced countries of the West. How is the West able to turn tennis into a multi-billion dollar business compared with badminton, another racquet game, is something which BWF should try to emulate. Same with soccer that has captured the imagination of people around the world, rich and poor, young and old, men and women.

    Then many professional badminton players will not have to eke out a living to continue in the sport they love.

  13. #13
    Regular Member luvina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some people who chose sport as their occupation be caused no choice for other occupation.
    Unless, they will be unemployment... So, their destination is money for living.
    Just my own opinion...

  14. #14
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Disagree. It's not how rich or economically advanced a country needs to be to do well in sports. Here are some examples;

    * Cuba excels in Boxing
    * Jamaica excels in Sprinting (Track and Field)
    * Kenya excels in Marathon
    * etc, etc, ......

    And not all sportspersons do sports just for money.
    .
    and USA is rubbish in
    football

  15. #15
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,688
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Money cannot buy us everything

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    and USA is rubbish in football
    .
    Yes, it shows that money cannot buy us everything.

    Football (Soccer) in the USA was promoted extensively, with much money spent over the last few decades. USA did made an improvement in Soccer (increasing the number of fans/players/followers), but somehow USA just couldn't make Soccer as popular as American Football.

    And here, if Li Na can make Tennis popular for China, then the Tennis National Association of China should be happy that they have done the right thing; that they have allowed Li Na to leave their association to go on to participate her own.
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 06-06-2011 at 06:55 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    3,321
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I m so happy for Li Na. She s also popular with the crowd, both in Australian and French Open. So refreshingly frank and uncluttered in her mind. Although 29 years old is considered old in tennis, she refuted it, saying she still feels young. In fact, with sports science, nowadays, certain physical strengths can be maintained. What that cannot be sustained, like speed, will be compensated by experience and a calmer attitude.

    She looks incredibly solid and strong, both physically and mentally. Her physique is so well toned she looks beautiful. Part of the credit in her progress must go to her foreign coaches for AO and FO.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .

    And here, if Li Na can make Tennis popular for China, then the Tennis National Association of China should be happy that they have done the right thing; that they have allowed Li Na to leave their association to go on to participate her own.
    .
    I'm not sure whether Li Na needs the official blessing before being allowed to go independent.
    I'm also thinking of the many Chinese badminton coaches being employed overseas and whether they need approval as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )
    By tbleong in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 10017
    : 08-24-2014, 06:45 AM
  2. Li Xuerui ( 李雪芮 )
    By cobalt in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 815
    : 06-30-2014, 11:50 PM
  3. Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大)
    By taufik_lin16 in forum Korea Professional Players
    Replies: 3310
    : 09-08-2013, 01:54 PM
  4. Li Yongbo ( 李永波 )
    By Han in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 302
    : 06-06-2012, 10:12 AM
  5. To everyone especially those from China: I am 李宗偉,not 李崇偉!
    By Malaysianfan in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 19
    : 06-20-2007, 02:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •