durable but not dull

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by baddybaddy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. baddybaddy

baddybaddy Regular Member

Hi all. I'm having trouble picking a suitable string for myself. i'm not a great player - probably at about B grade level. I tend to miss hit occasionally so whilst i like thin strings i break they due to miss hits too often.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions for a reasonably durable string that holds tension but is actually nice to use at low/medium tensions (23-24lbs)

Quick summary of what I've used in the past and my thoughts on them.

BG65 - at the low tensions I use i find them very average feeling and they lose tension easily
    BG66 - nice but too thin and breaks too often
    BG68ti - i like it, but i find i break this on miss hit too often.
    BG70pro - bit like BG65... nothing exciting
    BG80 - i found this string feels really... 'hard' like which i didn't ilke
    BG85 - i broke this too often as well. i think it's a 0.67mm string?

Based on what i've tried before I think i prefer 'softer' feeling strings and something around the 0.69-0.70mm thick.

Is there anything out there that's kinda durable, holds tension, and doesn't have to be strung to 28lbs+ to feel nice?

Cheers
    Ben

2. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    NBG 98 Should be it. I like it.

3. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

I think NBG95 would be better. He seems to mishit and break string a lot. NBG95s aren't the best feeling string, but they will fare better for mishits, and they aren't completely soft like BG65

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Can you get hold of Ashaway? at 23/24lbs ZM67 should be pretty good. Even though .67mm so thin I find it pretty hard to break.

Unfortunately there aren't many Soft strings that are thick & there aren't many strings thick strings that provide good feel either. Kinda of the trade off you have with strings (Durability vs Feel).

BG85 is (IMO) the less durable brother of BG80. It is rougher texture which is great for feel and control but wears strings out quickly.

5. baddybaddy

baddybaddy Regular Member

NBG98 is 0.66mm is it durable? hmm i don't know anyone who sells Ashaway Zymax in my city. hmm I might try NBG95. Cheers

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    just stick with NBG95 and you'll be fine. You'll be hard pressed to find something else with the same durability and better feel.
    I use it for tournaments, and BG65 for club play.

Zymax series does have good feel, but if you're a power hitter, you WILL break on a weekly basis.
    Back when I tried switching to ashaways (ZM67 and ZM70 @ 24lb), I broke 12 strings in 12 weeks. NEVER AGAIN!

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Wow, you must be a really big hitter ZM70 should have durability to match some of the best & at 24lb should be no problem. Maybe it was the stringer? Even mishitting with ZM70 shouldn't cause strings to break with that regularity.

I find the NBG strings very dull.

8. atomicsnapper

atomicsnapper Regular Member

Student
    bg65. Actually, I think that your stringer also plays a part on how fast your tension drops. Mine holds well considering that I'm using it for training.