Where to contact the shuttle in the racket?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mahinthan5, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mahinthan5

mahinthan5 Regular Member

IT Professional
    I'm bit beginner level. When i smash I get two problems.
    1) It won't go downwards. it tend to go parallel. So if bird untouched it will be out of the court
    2) I'm missing the very easy opportunity i mean. i couldn't hit the shuttle at all.

Where to contact the shuttle. In the middle of the frame? Is that the sweet spot. Normally i hit bit above the center. Is that ok? I tried to bend my wrist but still it goes parallel. thnks for helping me.

Racket: carbonex 21sp BG 65@ 21lbs

2. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

are you hitting the birdie behind you or are you in front of the bird when you hit it? are you pronating correctly?
    if not here's a great vid that teaches you how to pronate correctly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ

contact point is the highest point and you have to be IN FRONT of the bird that can get you angle if you pronate correctly
    if you are missing a smash it could be because of your timing as well

where you are hitting the bird is fine, don't bend your wrist, do pronation or you'll end up with wrist injuries

hope this helps.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes. Contact the shuttle in the middle of the strings. That is the "sweet spot".

Try to get into a good position for hitting a smash. The shuttle should be above your racket-side shoulder, and slightly out in front of you: get behind the shuttle.

That is the ideal position. It's possible to play smashes from worse positions too, but it's more difficult and you'll get less power.

In that ideal position, you should not need to bend your wrist to make the smash go downwards.