Recommended string for Victor MX80

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Simon Loh, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Simon Loh

Simon Loh Regular Member

Finance
    Hi guys,

What string and string tension would u recommend for me? i am looking for power and i want my smashes to be harder. Thanks!

2. Cheetah

Cheetah Regular Member

Student
    I've only tested the Yonex BG-80, BG-65 and VS-850. But If you want to smash harder then take either BG-80 or VS-850. They are very good strings. I use 28lbs btw...

But really it depends on you and not your string or racket or whatever. If you have the proper technique you can have awesome smashes with any string. :)

3. P8nguin

P8nguin Regular Member

Manager
    Presently my mx80 is strung with VS-850 @ 25x27lbs but it's slowly losing it's tension after some sessions. Thus am looking to try out other strings. Did a lot of readings here in BC, now choosing between BG-66UM, BG-66M & BG-80. Looking forward to some kind pointers before I re-string it within next 2 days. TQ.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    NBG98 @ 26 or 27lbs. you will be pleasantly surprised.

5. P8nguin

P8nguin Regular Member

Manager
    Hi Kwun, I've been following most of your threads & aware that you've tested out with lots of strings including VS-850, how is it compared to NBG98? Esp the sound? I've kind of chosen 66um partially cos of the hitting sound too... :)But I'll take your advice. When u said 26 or 27 u meant straight or across? Thank you so much & off I go....

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have tried all three strings. VS850 / NBG98 / BG66UM. BG66UM to me is a bit "meh". it has good feel at around 25 lbs but not much better beyond that. the feeling is slightly to the dull side.

NBG98 is something that i started playing with recently. and i find that one really need to go up to 27 or so before it starts to come alive. the main advantage is enormous repulsion coming from the string with a loud sound and crispiness when hitting very hard. the downside is that for lighter touch shots the feeling is very stiff and dead.

VS850 seems to be most balanced. the feeling is incredible for this string at all the tension i have tried it (24->29.5), repulsion and sound when hitting hard is very good but not as good as NBG98.

different strokes for different folks. choose according to your preference.

i string main==cross so i only specify one tension.

7. P8nguin

P8nguin Regular Member

Manager
    Hi again Kwun, thanks for the swift response. I was pleasantly surprised till I realised that u reside in states CA, so the right time frame.I just re-visited the NBG-98 thread, lots on JP vs SP version, esp SP's deficiency. Whats your take? Don't know if I can get hold of JP vers. from our local stringer... else will have to accept SP vers. Btw, I should string at 27x27 or 27x29 better? cos most of time I did +2. Of cos I'd read of the reasoning behind but never tried 27x27 before. Thanks again.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. i am pleasantly surprised by your response. isn't this at the middle of the night/morning for you? ;)

for JP vs. SP. i have read about it too but i am too cheap to buy JP all the time. the cost differential is just too much for something that breaks every month or two. in fact, my experience was from CH string, supposedly even worse than SP.

do you string your own racket? if you do, i'd recommend you experiment with different cross/main tension ratios and see which one works best in practice. there are a lot of variables to it including your machine as well as stringing technique/flow. i have experimented with mine and it came out that main=cross gives the best result. different people will come to different conclusion thus i recommend you experiment.

if you use a stringer, then i'd just trust what you stringer do as he/she would/should have done that experiment already.

9. P8nguin

P8nguin Regular Member

Manager
    Haha.. whenever I'm onto something new, I'm pretty excited & I'll do all research before I embark onto it. Thus sleepless nites.. 24hrs a day is too short.Back onto our NBG-98. Nope, I don't string it myself but afraid local stringers will recommend the norm +2 unless I insist ==. Perhaps I should give this round a short on 27x27. Cheers :)

10. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Juz to share some experience....for me, I've tried BG66UM at 24lbs and the feeling is quite good (repulsion, hitting sound and power) immediately....for NBG98 at 25lbs, i need a few sessions b4 the strings starts to come alive....dunno the reason, but initially couldnt get used to NBG98 as the shots keeps on "slipping" and accuracy was compromised....but as i get more sessions into it, it became much better....overall i would have preferred BG66UM if not for the durability....i only managed to get abt 3wks of play out of BG66UM while NBG98 lasted me for abt 6-7wks....agreed that VS850 is good, but personally i feel it loses the tension and "feeling" after 3-4wks....currently i'm using BG80 (which is previously my default string for all my old racquet's setups) at 25lbs....but felt it's abit dead(No power) on MX80 surprisingly? Actually i'm still in trial and error stage to get the best setup according to my play