Right technique for Smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Zackster, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    So guys just want to discuss regarding the technique to perform a smash. Yes i know pronation contributes 30% of power in a shot. But what i like to know about is the body position. So curiously i know that tennis serve and badminton power shot have similar technique. So i found a video about a guy who says lead with your hips so it has a kinda like bow figure.

Here is the link below

[video=youtube;HgeYmEScfgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgeYmEScfgQ&feature=BFa&list=FLcWAOjVChXLA&index=2[/video]

So i just want to ask fellow forum members if this is applicable for badminton? , plus should
    your chest area be stretched when performing a power shot or should it be relaxed?
    and lastly should your back be arched or relaxed when performing a power shot.

2. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Its in many ways similar but other points do not carry over. You can always spot a tennis player playing badminton as their smash preparation will take the racket down and back around in a big slow circle and they will often be too slow to hit 2 consecutvie overheads. Tennis players use a longer swing also and the serve is from a fixed position so no movement backwards before hitting. I would just look at some badminton videos

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

"Lead with your hip" is correct.

Badminton England have a nauseating-but-effective coaching phrase: "Hip, hit, hooray!"

4. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student

Haha thanks i'll remember that line when i am about to smash.

5. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

just don't throw your arms up when you cheer....

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, lead with your racket hip if you have enough time to set up a smash. Often times in fast md there isn't enough time.

The idea is that leading with the racket hip forces the body to rotate into the bird. This will transfer the momentum from the centre of the body to the arm and racket much like a whip from the handle to the tip.

7. adi28

adi28 Regular Member

and always remember hips dont lie lol

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is almost a perfect technique:

[video=youtube;jD5oaOzU9zg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD5oaOzU9zg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

9. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

i don't think this is a good idea, as in a serve you can hit without looking at your opponent, and in a smash you can't just smash without looking as you have to adjust depending on where the opponent is, and where you are in the court, the bow shape will block your line of sight(from this video), pronation, wrist and finger power will make up for most of the power in a badminton shot.

above is my understanding of the Lee Jae Bok videos.

this tennis video wise (in terms of body position) i would recommend not following them, you'll see the difference in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNNM5XRa5DM&playnext=1&list=PL78C6E06677297E38
    th minute mark onwards
    especially the short sharp swing he talks about a little later on