Accuracy when hitting shuttle?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KuroyamaAkihito, Jun 14, 2011.

1. KuroyamaAkihito

KuroyamaAkihito New Member

Hello everyone,

I've been looking around to help a friend improve his play but I'm running out of ideas. He plays alright but I've seen him miss his shots alot and it really troubles me. He's been playing badminton for about 4 years now but that point doesn't seem to have improved.
    I don't think he has eyesight problems, he probably has better eyes than me. Most of the missed shots are high clears, curving down near or right over his head.

Is there any way I can help him improve?
    Thx

2. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    does he likes to do deceptive drop shots?

3. KuroyamaAkihito

Hm... no, not really. Let's say he plays simple, mostly drives, clears and drops at the net.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

lazy footwork?

perhaps he needs to get to the bird faster so that it'll be in front of him, not over him

5. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Ermph, will keeping his eyes on the shuttle do?

I tends to miss shot when i divert my eyes to the opponent after i pre-determined the path of the bird to hit.

So my friend's advice to me, is keep the eye on the shuttle. Heh

6. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

He's probably feeling uncomfortable with those shots. Concentrate and relax, don't try too hard to hit any winner.

7. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    is your friend still reaching for the bird when hitting these high clears? or is he properly setup under the bird?
    If he's still reaching, teach him proper footwork so he can properly setup for his shot.

8. KuroyamaAkihito

Hm... From all this, I think it's the positionning and the haste to score a point.
    So footwork exercises? How do I fix his hunger to win? :confused:

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

missing the shuttle is from not looking at it, as has already been said. People's natural tendency is to look at where we think the shuttle is - this can lead to looking where we think we will hit the shuttle, before we have hit it! It is unnatural to keep a lock on the shuttle onto the racket, and then NOT look away, but it helps immensely.

10. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    There are a few things you can work on...

1. Proper warm up is very improtant. Your muscle should be ready for the game time before you start the actual game. Also make sure to try out different shots and see how it goes in warm up itself (Drives, drops, smash, defence etc.) That will let you know what you should and should not attempt during game time.

2. Start the game with high percentage shots. Do not aim for the boundary lines. If you are playing doubles, aiming for middle is a very good tactics and you will have very less chances for error. Also use loopy high lifts (in doubles) Once your confidence is high, only then attempty risky winners.

3. Understand your game. Some time players use very risky shots for nothing. For eg, if you are at extreame back and trying for a very tight drop is pointless. Same way, standing too close to the net to receive the service when you have no answer to a good flick serve.

4. Putting that extra effort to get early/behind the shuttle matters. You will be able to play safe and effective shots from here.

Overall, know your game, know yor limits and play within...

Prince

11. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

12. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    He could be too keen or trying to hit it to hard. Work on timing 1st. Tell him when he is hitting overheads to slow the shot dow and take his time! I used to try and hit it as early as possible almost too high and hit it as hard as possible and miss.

Slow it down, let the birdie fall bit more and keep ur eyes on it til its hit. Also make sure his non racket hand is up towards the birdie. Gives the brain better perception of how far away it is so ul hit it easier.

Cud you film him and put it up ere?