BWF launch official live streaming badminton channel on Youtube

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by lcleing, Jun 17, 2011.

1. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=50130

Friday, June 17, 2011 - Badminton World Federation
    The Badminton World Federation (BWF) is pleased to announce the soft-launch of its official badminton live streaming and Video-on-Demand (VOD) channel.

[​IMG]The online channel, http://badmintonworld.tv, hosted on Youtube, the world’s largest video community and hosting platform, is the product of a partnership between the BWF and Google that was facilitated under the advisory of TotalSportsAsia.

The on-going 2011 Li-Ning Singapore Open will be the first event to be streamed live.
    Beginning from the quarterfinals day (Friday) through to the finals on Sunday, 19 June, 2011, the official online channel will offer ardent badminton fans all over the world free online streaming of at least 5 matches a day (geo-blocking will apply to local viewers).
    This unique cutting-edge initiative will be extended throughout the entire OSIM BWF World Superseries calendar, which runs annually from January to December.
    Online streaming for the 5 Premier Superseries will begin from the round of 16 matches, while the remaining 7 legs of the Superseries will showcase TV-court matches from the quarterfinals day to the finals. At least 5 matches will be streamed on each day.
    "This is another initiative from the BWF to reach out to more fans across all continents," said BWF president Dr Kang Young Joong. "This is also in line with the BWF's aim to use different media platforms to raise the profile of the sport and the players."
    In its impending full launch, the official online channel will eventually offer badminton fans a greater variety of content and matches from tournaments across the globe.
    "The BWF is excited with what the future holds for the sport and will continue to look into ways and means to enhance the visibility of the sport,” concluded Dr Kang.

Great news people, especially to those who doesn't have media coverage in their paid TV channels.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Nice, has AE 2011 vids up as well already down to R16 matches as mentioned :cool:.

Hmph ... what dreadfull quality :rolleyes:.

3. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I did follow Singapore Open 2011 Live stream today, at 480px. Thank god, it was much better qualities than the AE 2011 videos and it's all free. Pretty smooth streaming from my end. Am very please with the service.

Guess this is one of the better implementation(if there's any other good one:rolleyes:) from BWF. Well done to them. So yes, more video/media coverage and less skirt chasing is the way to go apparently;).

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Okay :cool: good to know. Hope the on demands of this event will be at least 480 as well ... I guess they will have to wait untill all the replays on tv have finished broadcasting before those will be up (if at all).
    And I guess this is what was mentioned in their research presentation recently.

Attached Files:

• bwf.jpg
      bwf.jpg
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
    #4 demolidor, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  5. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

The quality is not bad, my internet isn't super great but it usually gets me through hockey streams fine, but it seems to be lagging a bit. Mixed, I watched through it without much lag, but then I started to lag as the night went on. The lag is just horrible right now that I can't really watch it. I rate the stream 4/10.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Just joined in at Gade vs LD and no lagging here at all, quality average at best. Only froze a couple of times on resizing and whoa ... lag moment #1 or 3 :D

7. CantSmashThis

After switching to Chrome, the lag has gone down a bit. I can watch without much lag now. The quality isn't so great, sometimes I can't see numbers on the screen when they were showing personal win-loss records, but still watchable now.

8. CantSmashThis

The stream for the rest of the night went pretty smoothly, some few lags here and there, but not too bad. I change my scoring and give them 7/10. When I viewed on SopCast back then, the streaming was more smooth. But nonetheless, I got to see great rallies between PG and Lin Dan and some amazing defense in CY/FHF vs. LYD/JJS.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The Lin Dan - Peter Gade semifinal match is one for the history folder.
    It was an awesome age-defying performance from Peter Gade :)

What's more awesome is that people in most parts of the world could watch it.
    After the skirt fiasco (arguably well-intentioned), this streaming project is a very welcome step.

10. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Doesn't work for me! Can Europeans actually watch the stream? It always says: "Video is not available!"

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Apparently something to do with internet streaming regulations in some countries. Over here no problem watching ... (other than the unholy start time of 7AM :p; figured I'd be fine for at least the MD match were it not for straight sets all around and LD mysterious stomach ache no doubt :rolleyes:)

#11 demolidor, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  12. Ton-Min-Bad

^Ah ok, so is it only Germany where the stream doesn't work?

The BWF should clarify things like that! People are trying to watch the stream...and nothing!

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

From their YouTube:

"tsabadmintonworld (7 hours ago)
    For specific regulation around internet streaming laws live streaming is currently unavailable in Germany and France. We are working towards resolving it. "

In respons to questions from Germany and France but apparently Sweden can't view it either ...

14. Ton-Min-Bad

^Thanks for the quote, demolidor! Hopefully they can solve this issue!

15. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Great news. Finally. It's just so hard to find media coverage here.

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Must say that 480 mode is crystal clear. That option was unavailable last week on Saturday/SF ... but not exactly smooth streaming [​IMG] (maybe because I was trying to record :D and all this flash video stuff is too much for my computer)

17. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Stream was quite smooth on my side(at 480p) in the morning. Brilliant quality I must say. It lagged a bit in the afternoon (toward the last 2 matches) but only temporary. May I know what program you used to record the flash video?

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

You're back, Oldhand;)..

Yeah, BWF is certainly doing a good job by doing the live streaming on youtube website. At least, this is one of the steps taken to promote badminton;)

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    any questions you guys want to ask about this service? i have TSA in the line and they will be happy to answer fans questions.