Badminton in Ulsan

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by ivans, Jun 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ivans

ivans Regular Member

Student
    Does any one have information about any badminton clubs in this area?

I will be going there in July, and staying for a few months.

Would be looking forward to play badminton.

Thanks

2. event

event Regular Member

Well, there are 41 clubs listed in 5 different gu's (wards). You will need to be more specific about what part of Ulsan. It's a city of over 1 million people on land area more than half again as large as Seoul. Do you know a school, gu, dong, factory or anything?

Interestingly, #26 plays in the same gym as Korea's top girls' team.

#2 event, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  3. ivans

ivans Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

I will be going to UNIST, wonder what area it is under?

btw, do the badminton players there speak english?

4. event

event Regular Member

UNIST is in the far west, by the looks of it. Every club not in Ulju-gun (and many that are in it) is super-far. It looks like the club (#3) that plays at the Ulju County Student Gymnasium (울주군민학생체육관) is the closest at 3.6km from UNIST. It is near Bancheon Elementary School (반천초등학교), where all of Ulsan's young stars got their start.

Next closest at about 4.5km, would be the clubs (#7 from 7-10PM and #2 from 6-8AM) that play at Beomseo Elementary School. The two school links to Google Maps should you UNIST with the little graduation hat.

As for English, it's best not to get your hopes up. Mind you, near a big tech school, it's possible or you might get one or two people who work in big companies and have to learn English to communicate with foreign staff members. I guess I'm not really the one to ask as I don't try to use English at the gyms. If you're a good player, language will not impede you getting in a game. For those who think they're better, language could be used as an excuse to exclude you. Hard to say.

When you go to a new gym, find someone who isn't busy and looks like your level, find an open court and say 'nanta hashilleyo?' which means 'do you want to rally around to warm up?' If you're identified as being of the appropriate level, someone might put you in a game. Good luck.

5. ivans

ivans Regular Member

Student
    thanks for all the information
    i appreciate that!

6. event

event Regular Member

ivans, any luck finding a place to play in Ulsan?

7. ivans

ivans Regular Member

Student
    i've been here for 2 weeks, i asked around for a few places with regular badminton player...
    the bad news is.. they are all too far from where i am =( plus there are no badminton players among the people i know here...
    too bad.. .seems like my racquet's fate is in the cupboard

8. event

event Regular Member

That's too bad. Did you find that 3.6km too far, then? According to Google Maps, the 807 takes you most of the way to Bancheon Elementary School in 7 minutes.

9. ivans

ivans Regular Member

Student
    well... unless i can reach by foot or cycling, i cant go anywhere.. i speak no korean and they speak no english.. i am finding it hard to even buy food.. haha... so thats the problem... besides, there is a big and nice hall here in UNIST but i dont see anyone playing badminton. maybe it is still summer break. hopefully when the semester starts there will be some undergraduate students playing