Backhand long/high serves in singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Capnx, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

anyone have any suggestions on technique or training for developing a good high flick serve that can reach the back of singles line?

I can do a very consistent backhand short serve, and in doubles my backhand flick serve is good but only because I stand closer to the net and the flick doesn't have to go as deep as singles.

when I do flick serve in singles, I rarely move my whole arm and most of my power comes from thumb and wrist but they aren't powerful enough to do a very high and deep one and I always get smashed back. if I involve my whole arm, my opponent can tell I'm doing a long serve and anticipate.

the reason I want to improve on this is because eventhough I can do consistent short serves, after a while my opponent start being more aggressive at net on my serves and I just want to add the variety.
    thanks

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Don't try and serve high - that defeats the whole purpose of a flick serve, which is to catch the opponent by surprise. If the serve is high, they'll easily have time to get back, so you may as well have just served forehand instead.

In fact, there's nothing wrong with using a high forehand serve all the time. It tends to be frowned upon because all the pros serve backhand these days, but that's because they all have huge smashes. The fact is, at an intermediate level of play, if your opponent is made to hit a vertically-falling shuttle from right at the baseline, it shouldn't be causing you any problems, and so the high forehand serve is still very effective. If you don't have a good flick serve, and your short serve is too predictable, then it's definitely worth trying.

3. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

If you aren't doing so already, make sure you're extending your arms and racquet as far out in front of you as comfortably possible. You may have to adjust your short service accordingly but by having your arms in front of you, you create more space for a longer backswing that may help generate more power.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    great advice from above. In particular, from what you have said, I agree with sketchy that you ideally should be going for "surprise" with a flick serve. Whatever anyone says - its still a lift, and as such should be attacked by your opponent.

You mention you serve low, and you keep doing so, but your opponent begins to come forwards aggressively. WHEN he does this, use the flick. This will put your opponent "back in his box" and make him less willing to rush the low serve. This flick doesn't necessarily need to be perfect - its the change that will confuse your opponent, not necessarily the quality. If you use your flick too early, when he is not "eager" to attack the short serve, then the lack of quality in your flick may be more of an issue, as you have surprised nobody!

If you want to develop a bit more power, try squeezing a tennis ball for 5 minutes as hard as you possibly can - this will develop your finger strength for use when you push with your thumb and use grip tightening. To work on your forearm strength, I recommend Paul Stewarts armchair exercises at www.badminton-coach.co.uk. You could also try playing a flick serve using the same technique as now but with a squash racket (or put a head cover on the racket), as this will help develop the "explosiveness" of your flick.

Good luck with your serves!

Matt

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I don't know where exactly you position your thumb when serving backhand, but I try to always position it so that the pad of the thumb will press against the cap when I complete my serve. In short, I keep my grip close up to the shaft. I can decide on the short or flick serve and execute both of them with the same motion. The additional "leeway" that the cone/cap offers comes in handy when I need more emphasis on the snap action for executing the flick serve. I get speed and direction, and can control the elevation as well.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    cobalt: sounds similar to what I like to do :)

7. Big SmAsh

Big SmAsh Regular Member

I do the same thing. IF you feel like they are anticipating that you will serve short show your whole arm moving (as if you were going to serve to the baseline) then serve short like normal. I feel that can normally throw someone off of what you're going to do.

If you're looking for more strength you can get an old racket handle or some wood, string, and a paint bucket. Have it so when you roll it up the string wraps around the wood or racket handle. If you've ever seen somebody try to start a motorcycle and they flick their wrist to get the gas going? It's the exact same motion on the exercise! Then once you've rolled it up, roll it back down for the backhand muscles to be worked. (if that makes any sense) :)