Should CBA be booted out of Olympics?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by extremenanopowe, Jun 19, 2011.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Whoever support this write your comments and suggestions please. ;)

2. miss.boon

miss.boon Regular Member

why u say like that? dun be lazy and pls put more background writing.
    not everyone here can read minds.

3. extremenanopowe

he said in the news he 'gulped' too much water. He need kangen water la.. haha... karma on him. Singapore water dirty? Something fishy. lol. An adult need 3 litres at least. He must have gulped too much. Is this the first time he gulped too much? lol. ;)

SINGAPORE - China's badminton superstar Lin Dan was booed Sunday by spectators as he apologised for pulling out of the Singapore Open men's final against compatriot Chen Jin because of gastric flu.

His withdrawal overshadowed compatriot Wang Xin's 21-19 and 21-17 win over Tine Baun of Denmark in the women's final at the Super Series tournament.

Lin's apology, made right after the women's final, was drowned out by boos from the crowd of over 7,400 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium who had been hoping to see the Chinese ace in action against Chen -- who took the title by a walkover.

"I can understand the reaction from the crowd just now," Lin, who is affectionately known as Super Dan to his legions of fans, said at a press conference.

"I will come again next year to Singapore."

It was the first time in Lin's career that he had pulled out of a final.

"The China team manager had informed me that Lin Dan is ill and unable to play in the men's singles final," said tournament referee Ernest Robinson.

"Lin Dan has seen the tournament doctor, who has confirmed that Lin Dan is suffering from gastroenteritis."

A senior official with the Badminton World Federation (BWF) acknowledged the crowd had the right to be upset with Lin's last-minute withdrawal but credited the Chinese star for making a personal appearance to apologise.

"I think the crowd has the right, they buy the tickets to come to enjoy the match and it's no way we can control the crowd's thinking," said Paisan Rangsikitpho, the BWF deputy president

"He came out in the centre court, apologised to the fans. I think whatever it is, you have to give him big credit, brave enough to come out and the crowd booed him, he took it," he told a media conference.

Lin, the world number two and Olympic champion, said he felt unwell in the middle of the night after his tough three-game win over veteran Dane Peter Gade on Saturday 20-22, 21-17 and 21-15.

"I gulped down lots of cold water (after the match) and was really uncomfortable when I went to bed," he said.

Lin, who leads the head-to-head series 9-5 over Chen, was a favourite for the Singapore title after arch rival and world number one Lee Chong Wei decided to give the event a miss.

The Singapore Open is the fifth leg of the 12-stop series with the top eight men's and women's singles players and doubles pairs qualifying for the season-ending tournament in December.

Lin is the most successful player in badminton history, having won almost every major title in the game including the world championships, World Cup, Thomas Cup, Sudirman Cup, Asian Games and Asia Championships titles.

The Super Series season-ending tournament is the only prestigious trophy missing from his cabinet.

Chen, the reigning world champion, said he sympathised with Lin's situation.

"I knew of Lin Dan's condition this morning and I understand his decision," said the 25-year-old.

"It doesn't feel a pity not playing in the final."

In the women's final, Wang won her first Super Series title of the year over Baun, who had advanced into the final after upsetting world number one Wang Shixian of China.

"I have never played a final in Singapore so I am very happy," said the world number two, who plays left-handed.

Victory for Wang was secured after Baun, a former two-time All England champion, netted a smash from the Chinese.

"I think she was mastering the draught better than me," said Baun.

"Sometimes I missed judgments up here (and) it was very difficult today, it is the same for both players."

In the first action of the day, Indonesia's Tantowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir overcame Chen Hung-ling and Cheng Wen-hsing of Taipei 21-14, 27-25 to take the mixed doubles crown.

But the Chinese players dominated there on as shuttlers from the Asian nation also won the women's and men's doubles titles in straight games.

Final results:

Men's singles

Chen Jin (China) bt Lin Dan (China x2) walkover

Women's singles

Wang Xin (China x3) bt Tine Baun (Denmark x6) 21-19, 21-17

Women's doubles

Tian Qing/Zhao Yunlei (China x5) bt Ha Jung-Eun/Kim Min-Jung (Korea x6) 21-13, 21-16

Men's doubles

Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng (China x4) bt Alvent Yulianto Chandra/Hendra Aprida Gunawan (Indonesia) 21-17, 21-13

Mixed doubles

Tantowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir (Indonesia x4) bt Chen Hung-ling/Cheng Wen-hsing (Taipei) 21-14, 27-25

- AFP/ir

4. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Since no one is reponding yet to this thread...then let me say my thoughts to this "sensitive" issue.

LD didn't play against CJ due to health issue and let CJ becomes a winner in today's 2011 BWF SOSS is not a new scenario in the this world we call professional sports. If i were one of the live spectators inside that hall, i will also feel dissapointed especially if the main reason for me to buy the tickets with my friends/families is only to watch LD and CJ play but at the end it was not as i expected. A deep stab at my back i would say but then that's the reality.....even it's a bitter pill to swallow, LD has the legal right to do such action regardless of what nature of sportmanship it is or character he possess in his heart towards his spectators and fans.

Maybe some parties will recommend to BWF management to take action against CBF for allowing their players to act in an unsupportive manners that somehow creating an unappealing scenario in what should be a anticipated final but by having a confirm medical statements that LD is unhealthy regardless whatever truth the fact is, unlikely BWF can do anything.

CBA be booted out of the Olympics will not solve any such repeated issue, the important is how BWF can play a mutual role with all its parents national organization ( BAM,PBSI, CBF etc) to install a more responsible value in the heart of all of their players towards their fan ans the support to the tournaments.

5. extremenanopowe

Do your bid to send your frustration to IOC. Let them boot out CBA first before IOC boot out badminton.

It is better to sacrifice 1 association than the whole lot. What do you think? ;)

BWF is hopeless. ;) Lets see what action they can take in the next meeting.

FIFA dares to do it. Why not BWF?

6. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    I can tell you it won't happen:D

CBA booted out of Olympic?

OMG :p

7. laonong

laonong Regular Member

If CBA out of olympic, badminton will be out of lympic for sure.

8. extremenanopowe

Was there any instance where a country was booted out from Olympic or FIFA? ;)

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think your proposal needs to have more compelling arguments:)

CJ probably should not get any ranking points for the final - only for the semifinal.

10. extremenanopowe

We need to get to the extreme to get at least something out of BWF. They are overpaid. lol. ;)

BTW, for political agenda, IOC may have a chance though, about all these human rights issue. ;)

I doubt they will do anything anyway. ;) My idea is the same as pbm. lol. ;)

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    That would be the best 'worst' thing bwf could do. IMO :)

12. laonong

laonong Regular Member

Human rights in China worse than any other countries?

13. extremenanopowe

Forget about politics. It is always a controversy. If you are not afraid of CBA being booted out. Then nothing to fear. No need to defend them. lol. ;)

14. extremenanopowe

Who is the liar? Will a liar is always a liar you reckon? lol. ;)

15. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Badminton will still be part of the olympic even if CBA does not participate, which is unlikely. The only difference is, without them, the flare of competiton will not be as exciting since all the CBA player are not playing.

However, since the Olympics is one of the greatest achievements that all professional players wants to add in into their resume other than becoming a world champion before they retire at whatever age, this is one sport that they do not want to miss and especially LD, he has a chance of creating a history if he can nail it again since no player currently has emerge as a multiple Olympic Champion since badminton has been introduced into the olympics.

16. extremenanopowe

Maybe he's just getting even on the media thingy? lol. ;)

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

dear mr. extreme-kangen-nanopowe-water,
    the chances of that happening is almost like you trying to catch george@chongwei's total posts number in this forum. Further you're asking and putting BWF on the spot to go out there and prove that CBA is indeed promoting such behaviors.
    off topic:
    Of course, no current active players are multiple OG champs. However, if he does become a back-2-back OG champ, he won't be the first (male/female, singles/doubles) player to do it. But if he does, he will be the 1st MS players to do it.

18. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Frankly at this point, I'd like to see badminton booted out of the olympics. Maybe that would shock BWF into doing something about this issue. Aside from that I actually don't think the CBA alone should be booted. I think all the national associations should get the boot.

19. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Then there will be plenty of independent players,

badminton becomes professional sports :)

20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    My vote to Thunder, hail to the Chief:p:D BTW, OLY council is not attached to National Associations, only to countries. The Associations funded by the govt 'train' the players and the players play for their countries. So booting CBA, etc means squat.;)
    I think Cheung has the best suggestions so far, gave CJ only the WR points for SF appearance.