Advise please

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Stan876, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Stan876

Stan876 New Member

Director
    Hi Folks

I am an amateur player i like playing a type of game with accurate and deft shots but i am basically forced to play in this way due to a motorbike accident years back that left my wrist weak. The problem i have is when i am under pressure it's difficult for me to play to the back of the court to get myself out of trouble i seem to play with a weak grip and struggle to produce enough power. Can anyone suggest a remedy for this and what type of racket is best suited for me

Stan

2. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    Hi Stan - what type of racket do you currently play with?

If you have a weak wrist you may find it hard to wield a stiff shafted racket and may be more suited to something a bit more flexible.

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I agree with benwilluk
    I would go for more flexible (than your current racket), and maybe more head light? (better manouver)
    or head heavy if your wrist getting better and you want more power

4. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    I was in a very serious motorcycle accident 3 years ago. A lot of tissue on my arm was ripped completely off. Took 3 months for me to gain muscle control of my arm again.
    Skin and muscles will rebuild. 6months later, I tried picking up a tennis racquet and casually swinging it, my wrist nearly broke off (the doctor warned me, but I'm stubborn). Got back into badminton about 1.5years ago and now my smashes are stronger than they were before the accident. It will take a LOT of effort and a certain level of stubbornness to improve, but don't let the accident make you think you're less capable than anyone else.

Anyway, flexible racquets give weaker players slightly more power so you're defensive clears will be SLIGHTLY stronger. However, flexible racquets have less control because of... (obviously) the shaft flex. So if you're weak, want control, and want more power... your only REAL option is to get stronger!

5. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    Strength will be regained over time so Im guessing the new racket will be or the interim.

Not sure I totally agree that flexible shafts are necessarily for weaker players. In some cases yes but I currently play with a mid flex racket because I prefer it. And it happens to be the same racket as Lee Yong Dae uses and last time I watched him he had plenty of power.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Flexible should be your first choice - you can always bump up the stiffness. For head light rackets the BS09 is a great call, but the Nanospeed 6600 and NS1000 are also worth a look. There aren't many head heavy flexibles that I'm aware of - in fact, I can only point to the Armortec 500 and 600 (and possibly the AT70MG and AT30MG, but I don't know a lot about those).

7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hai there stan,

To produce the desirable power in any of your strokes is an output that you can't harness just by weilding whatever ideal racket that has been recommended to you. Other than by using the suitable racket meant specifically for your style and technique of play, the mechanics of power in badminton also requires the manipulation of your physical entity, in this case your entire forearm, arm and wrist to coherently work mutually with your techniques and racket. Therefore:

1. Physical entity

Obvoiusly, you already know some of the answer to your problem from the point of physical that is you need to make your whole upper limb stronger, especially the your arm and wrist and, to do this you need to dedicate some time both outcourt physical training ( i.e going to the gym etc) and in court training ( swinging drills etc) to regain that power.

2. Technique

Perfect your swingging technique to unload it full impact capacity upon hitting the birdie. Most importantly, improve your footwork movements so that you can position optimally your view and arm upon hiting the birdie to produce that power and control that you intended to do. This is very important because you can weild whatever ideal racket you can find and improve your muscle tone, power and reflexes from your physical training but none of this will do any better if your footwork and techniques does not complement
    it because you will be out of position to hit that birdie thus producing unsatisfactory hits.

3. Racket

Most of BC members above has already advice some type of racket to you therefore i'm not eloborating that much however, whatever racket that you've been recommended, prefabably please do try it and feel it first and select from that point. Understand your swinging style, strength and techniques to match with the racket specification your searching. A good recommended racket is only consider good in your hand and not in other players hand.

8. Stan876

Stan876 New Member

Director
    Firstly can i say thanks to everyone thats posted a reply this is my first post and the level of effort and information is very impressive.

The problem with my left wrist is difficult i have tried to increase the strength in it but if i work it, it gets painful. The docs think there is a small bone or part of a bone that's not quite in the correct position and because of this i cant give it much hammer anyway i will take on board whats been said and see what i can do to improve it maybe a gentler exercise routine for my wrist and a racket with a more flexible head

Thanks again guys

9. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    Hi Stan - no problem - we like giving advice on here :eek:)

A couple of rackets you could consider in the Victor line include the Bravesword 9. I have this and it is a good racket. The other racket Victor UK currently have a good deal on is the Artery Tec Control. This has a medium flex shaft and a big sweetspot. Just a couple to consider.

Good luck with your seach