Position of dropshots in singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Capnx, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

I've been watching some singles games on youtube and I noticed that a lot of times the top players' (overhead) drop shots are near the service line but not tighter to the net. Is there a reason for this? I know they should be able to do a much tighter drop shot (because even I can lol) but why don't they? is it because it is much harder to recover if the opponent do an even tighter net shot?

2. Eshiro

Eshiro Regular Member

I've noticed that too, maybe it's because they want to be cautious not to make any mistakes as they r in a totally different environment or they want to make sure their opponent is able to get the shots in order to continue the rally so that they can tire their opponent out. These are just assumptions though...

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

There're several reasons why.

The first is the pace of the shot. They can hit tighter drops, but to get it tight the shuttle needs to lose a lot of speed. And a slower shot means your opponent can reach it higher than with harder/faster dropshot. A level below world-class (like WR100+) you'll see even more dropshots even further into court in order for them to keep their opponent under pressure.

The second reason is the options you give your opponent: dropshot closer to the net allows your opponent to play a better netshot (even spin it) and get you into trouble.

The third reason is a bit of deception; it's very tricky to hit a slow shot deceptively. Either your opponent reads you like a book, or you have to hold in a lot of your racketspeed at the last second. It's easier/safer to play a fast slice-drop which you can disguise as a clear/halfsmash

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Which kind of "tighter" are you thinking about?

• Distance along the floor, between the net and the landing position of the shuttle?; or
    • Height of the shuttle when it crosses the net?
    If (1), then jerby's explanation is perfect. :)

If (2), then it's simply a "sensible margin of error" issue.

5. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

thanks, yes, tighter = distance along the floor, and jerby's explanations were very good.

6. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Whilst I agree with the points made about hitting drop shots too slow/tight, I would like to add that it is possible to hit them too fast. If you hit them too fast, your opponent doesn't have to move very far & can take them relatively high. Also, you will have less recovery time, which could put you into trouble.

There is an optimum pace, which results in your opponent taking the shuttle from as low a position as possible. From Capnx's observations, this appears to be such that the shuttle lands near the service line for elite play. However, I suspect that this could vary depending upon conditions and the relative strengths and weaknesses of the opponent.

Also, mixing up your pace a bit makes it harder for your opponent to establish a rhythm. Throwing the occasional slower one in will help to keep them guessing.

7. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Keeps the opponent away from the net, if you give the opponent slow shuttle near the tape, especially at the sides they have too many options and will take control of the rally. Occasionally slower drops are used if the opponent is on their heels expecting a smash. WHere as years ago it was all about simply moving the opponent now it is much more about maintaining attack, therefore many faster drops

8. Hakular

Hakular Regular Member

Because fast drop shots are better than slow drop shots, most of the time.
    'Nuff said.

9. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Majority of players, play the fast drop shot so they cant do a tight net shot after it. If the player however is really slow to the net and u catch him with a tight net shot, wel do a few and if it keeps working, keep on doing it lol