User Tag List

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Teen talent on right path
    Josey Samuel
    Bangalore, Jan 18, 2012, DHNS

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ight-path.html

Excerpts:

... I just played my natural game. I wasnt worried about my opponents. I was very confident, said Sindhu, speaking about her mantra for success after a training session at the KBA courts ahead of the Senior National championships.

...Surely the height is an advantage but there is disadvantage also. I just train hard and hope for the best every time. I think all the Indian players are talented. The difference is that how you play tough points in a tough match. Indians are as talented as the Chinese and other foreign players. The Chinese are mentally strong and their fitness levels are much better than us,...

...Sindhus next goal is to make a mark in the Super Series events. I lost in the qualifiers of Super Series tournaments in Hong Kong, China, Korea and Malaysia. However, it was a good experience, a learning curve for me. I strongly believe experience counts and with maturity you will become a better player, pointed out Sindhu.

Sindhu admits that there is plenty of scope for improvement in her game. I am not thinking of Olympics or other big events now. My focus is on winning my maiden National title. I have my dreams of becoming the world number one though, she signed off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see many non Chinese talents coming up in the womens game, given enough time I am sure they will get to a point to challenge the best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally she qualified for a super series premier main draw.....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

expect a close match between tzu ying tai as their last match has gone to three sets,when sindhu was just 3 months on her first full year while tzu ying tai has some experience....expect an upset here

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by depleter View Post
    expect a close match between tzu ying tai as their last match has gone to three sets,when sindhu was just 3 months on her first full year while tzu ying tai has some experience....expect an upset here
    3 games again, same result!

Sindhu has been yoyo-ing a bit, of late. Now she has been left out of the squad selected for the BAC 2012.

She is however, in the main draw for the India Open SS, and her first match will be up against TTY!!

I hope she has learnt enough by now to be able to overcome TTY.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another match against TTY in round 1 of the India Open, and this time, Sindhu springs a complete surprise! She beats TTY in straight games, and quite easily from the scoreline, 21-17 21-19. Either Sindhu has suddenly found the magic formula, or TTY has had a very off day...

In any event, congratulations to Sindhu. The next round however, will be an even bigger test. Korea's Sung Ji Hyun lies in wait for her in Round-of-16 , and she ain't no pushover, with a WR 11 and seeded 8 at the India Open.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow 2012 India Open SS: Round-of-16

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Another match against TTY in round 1 of the India Open, and this time, Sindhu springs a complete surprise! She beats TTY in straight games, and quite easily from the scoreline, 21-17 21-19. Either Sindhu has suddenly found the magic formula, or TTY has had a very off day...

In any event, congratulations to Sindhu. The next round however, will be an even bigger test. Korea's Sung Ji Hyun lies in wait for her in Round-of-16 , and she ain't no pushover, with a WR 11 and seeded 8 at the India Open.
    Even if Sindhu cannot defeat Korea's Sung Ji Hyun in Round-of-16, Sindhu has done well.

I believe that, with Sung Ji Hyun's experience, Sindhu will need to play at her best to defeat her.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Even if Sindhu cannot defeat Korea's Sung Ji Hyun in Round-of-16, Sindhu has done well.

I believe that, with Sung Ji Hyun's experience, Sindhu will need to play at her best to defeat her.
    She did! Straight games again, but only just, at 21-17, 22-20. Is she on another of her mini giant-killing runs? The quarters will tell. She will be facing JYJ, and will need to be very quick and accurate to put it across the 4th seed.

Darn! Still no video of her recent games...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately she won't feature on the TV court in the QF. No CHN either.

Strangely, while the BWF broadcast is on, 3 MAS matches will be seen with LCW v TH the highlight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    She did! Straight games again, but only just, at 21-17, 22-20. Is she on another of her mini giant-killing runs? The quarters will tell. She will be facing JYJ, and will need to be very quick and accurate to put it across the 4th seed.
    That's an excellent result for Sindhu.

It's great that Sindhu has not felt the pressure at this 2012 India Open SS tournament so far.

But with Saina Nehwal [3] and Neha Pandit [Q] being eliminated yesterday, I hope Sindhu will remain relaxed and perform at her best in her next match against China's Jiang Yanjiao [4] at the Quarter-Finals.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...FE1CA8F&draw=4

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gutsy Sindhu goes down fighting against world number 7 Jiang
    PTI | Apr 27, 2012, 07.36PM IST

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/12898407.cms

Excerpts:

NEW DELHI: Rising shuttler P V Sindhu showed indomitable spirit before going down fighting against world number seven Yanjiao Jiang of China in the women's singles quarterfinal of the India Open Super Series.

The 16-year-old Sindhu showed tremendous grit and maturity as she made the fourth seed Chinese work hard for points before losing 18-21 21-12 21-18 in an intense 56-minute match.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Next closes in on the best
    Jonathan Selvaraj : New Delhi, Sat Apr 28 2012

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ne...e-best/942561/

Showing why she is reckoned to be the best prospect amongst Indias next generation of shuttlers, PV Sindhu took a game off World No.7 Yanjiao Jiang of China before going down 21-18 12-21 18-21 in just under an hour. Playing her first Super Series quarterfinal, she made the Chinese work for her points before the gap in experience played out.

Like the two top-20 opponents Sindhu played in her previous matches, Jiang too seemed unsure of how to deal with the largely unfamiliar 16-year-old. The scoreline after the first game reflected that. Sindhu flew to a 7-2 lead by capitalising on her opponents cautious aerial strategy. But where Sindhus previous opponents faltered, the Chinese adapted to the challenge.

Despite conceding early advantage, she realised that while the Indian was strong on the rally, she was not picking her net play. The next game was, for the most part, one-way traffic as Jiang varied her pace and kept dropping the shuttle in the front of the court. And while Sindhu still managed to retrieve the shuttle on her playing side, the point was lost when she was wrong footed on her left.

The comfortable victory in the second game put enough momentum behind Jiang and she never trailed for the remainder of the match. Though Jiang produced a string of unforced errors to allow Sindhu to close the gap from 10-15 to 15-17, there was no alarming threat from the young Indian in the final game.

But despite the defeat there was no disgrace and coach P Gopichand was full of praise. It was an exceptional performance from Sindhu. This is the highest level and the way she has played against a couple of top-20 players in the tournament, it was amazing, Gopichand said. I was confident of her performance because I know her potential but she was playing a much higher-ranked player and even though she has lost, there are a lot of positives to take. She needs sustained exposure and motivation, he added.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This must be exciting, and a first for young Sindhu!!
    She is the top seed at the Malaysian Open GPG starting at Johor Bahru on May 2nd.
    Here's wishing her all the best.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sindhu is really promising.. Great to see a lot of young talented shuttler, especially from a country which Badminton is not their main sports.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I missed this blog earlier, but it is worth reproducing here. Gives us a peek into the other dimensions of a player, as a person with many interests and intelligence.

Badminton on court, Sanskrit off court the Sindhu way
    T S Sudhir
    May 17, 2012

http://tsr.net.co/2012/05/badminton-...indhu-way/4473

After a three-hour long gruelling session on court, P V Sindhu is relishing her breakfast of puri-subzi and watermelon juice at the canteen at the Pullela Gopichand Badminton Academy. Destresser is in the form of a loud Telugu film showing on the 32 inch LCD, which Sindhu tells me, is an entertainer.

What is your schedule for the rest of the day, I ask.

I will go home now. I have to study. Tomorrow is my first exam, she says.

As my eyebrows go up, she reveals with a meaningful pause, And you know what, it is Sanskrit. I cannot help but feel amused at the thought of Indias national badminton champion packing in both her sport and Sanskrit lessons into a day.

Sindhu is in Intermediate 2nd year (the equivalent of 12th class) and the next one week will see her more with her books and less with her badminton racquet.

I am just prepared, not well-prepared. I study whenever I have time, which is not much, since I spend seven hours playing badminton and training at the academy. My target is just to pass. I am not worried since last year by studying for just one week, I got 70 per cent, she says.

...How does she deal with all the talk that she will be Indias big medal hope in badminton at the 2016 Olympics? Yes, everyone says that. I am happy to hear that. But I have to work very hard. Good results do not come so easily, she says. No tall claims, Sindhu clearly has her feet firmly on the ground.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd place more hopes on Sindhu than Saina on whom I'd just let nature takes its own course. Saina has been on the international circuit for about 5 years now and I think this is about as far as she can go - compare her with LXR who in just two years,look what she's achieved and more to come. Of course,Saina's only 22 but some players start young and end early too. On the other hand,who can foretell the future?

Sindhu is starting at about the same age as Saina's before. I sincerely hope she doesn't make Saina's mistakes as far as the Indian media and the coach are concerned. Start from a clean slate, adopt what's good from Saina's,learn from her mistakes, experiment,improve,innovate, above all concentrate on training and developing her game. And avoid talking to the press so much,if she must,do so after the tournament,not before and only on that tournament ,not the next one. Garner some good results first and she'll get used to the habit of letting her racquet do more of the talking and the media will over time know when is the best time to interview her.

Sindhu at 16 is in her growing up years, a good mentor and proper guidance in life and in badminton will do her a lot of good. Hope as she matures so will her game in due course. May her badminton journey be a successful one.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At the Thailand Open GPG beginning June 6, Sindhu is seeded 4 in the WS main draw. She meets a qualifier from Korea, Mi Jin Jung in round 1, and if she gts through, has an interesting match-up in round 2: either Bella of Indonesia, or the resurgent Wang Lin of China! Exciting times for Sindhu, ahead.

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast