User Tag List

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At the Singapore Open this week, Sindhu met up for a chat with suetyan. Here is suetyan's account on the Singapore Open thread:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...09#post1921909

You can read suetyan's entire report on Badzine.
    http://www.badzine.net/news/singapor...singles/20243/

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

PV Sindhu bags Asian Youth badminton title

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...itle-badminton

M Ratnakar, TNN Jul 8, 2012

Excerpt:

HYDERABAD: PV Sindhu created history by becoming the first Indian to win the girls' singles title in the Asian Youth Under-19 Championships at Gimcheon, Korea.

In the final on Saturday, Sindhu rallied to beat Okuhara Nozomi of Japan 18-21, 21-17, 22-20. The reigning national women's champion lost the first game but came back strongly in the second game.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sindhu dedicates title to parents and Gopi Chand

V. V. Subrahmanyam
    HYDERABAD, July 10, 2012

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-...cle3621457.ece

P.V. Sindhu is delighted that she became the first Indian ever to win the junior Asian badminton championship girls title in Korea recently.

I won a bronze medal last time in this championship. So winning the gold is a special feeling. I dedicate this to my coach and mentor P. Gopi Chand and to my parents, Sindhu said in a chat with The Hindu at Gopi Chands academy on her return to Hyderabad.

The 17-year-old shuttler said her victory was possible largely due to an intensive training programme he chalked out recently.

The young champion feels she has to improve her strokes and endurance levels, even as she is happy with the way her smashes are working.

Sindhu, sponsored by Olympic Gold Quest, pointed out that of late she had been engaged in matches lasting more than an hour, and said she would work on staying focused and fit during such encounters.

I am also grateful to the support staff like Anil, Rajendera and Siyadutt for helping me stay in the best frame of mind ahead of the big events, Sindhu said.

I am also thankful to my parents, who travel about 50km daily to take me for training, she said.

Gopi Chand said the title should do Sindhu a world of good.

She has the talent, is willing to learn and works really hard. These traits should take her a long way.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sindhu is not the next Saina. She may be better

Abhijeet Kulkarni, July 12, 2012

http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/sindh...er-375991.html

Excerpts:

It is obvious for any layman to start comparing Sindhu to Saina. After all, both are the products of the Gopichand Academy and started making a mark on the international circuit by the time they turned 16.

But the similarities end there. Saina and Sindhu are two completely different individuals who even approach the game and their career in contrasting styles. While Sainas approach is all about single-mindedness and grit, Sindhu is more relaxed and is very laidback outside the playing arena.

In the words of their academy mates, watching Saina play is a tense affair since she is fighting for every point and is always pumped up, while Sindhu can smile through tense situation and can come up with unorthodox strokes to break the shackles.

Back at the academy, Sindhu is part of every training session beginning from 4.30 in the morning. The naturally athletic body of the 5 feet 11 inch strapping teenager not only allows her to work harder it also helps her recover faster.

...However, the biggest reason to discourage any talks of Sindhu being the next Saina is because Saina is only 22 and in a year or two both the girls would be competitors on the international circuit and would look to outsmart and outplay each other.

Sindhu, the only womens singles player to hold the junior and senior national crown together, has already started catching up with Saina and had she been playing on the senior international circuit could have made the Olympic cut.

She needed to break into the top-16 to qualify for the London Games. Sindhu managed to jump from 80 to top-30 in the last six months but ran out of time.

But by the end of this year, Sindhu will be sharing equal load of Indias challenge in the team championships along with Saina and also on the international circuit where the Commonwealth Games gold medallist said she felt the pressure of shouldering the weight of expectations all alone.

Sindhu has shown enough potential to believe that she can reduce the load on Saina. It is in the interest of Indian badminton that she carves a place for herself rather than emulate her more illustrious compatriot.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Badminton player P V Sindhu shows her Asian Youth under-19 Gold medal on arrival from Korea on Monday. She is flanked by her parents. | EPS

Source: http://newindianexpress.com/sport/article562731.ece

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to Sindhu for a great performance.

May she continue to improve in the senior ranks and make a mark for herself and her country.

Well done, Sindhu!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

National Badminton Champion P V Sindhu conducts Badminton Training Clinic

SportsKeeda
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/07/2...aining-clinic/

Excerpts:

Faridabad: A joint initiative taken by Manav Rachna Sports Academy and Yonex-Sunrise organised a day long Badminton Training Clinic under the guidance of Asian junior champion P V Sindhu at the Manav Rachna Sports academy.

...The 17-year-old, who was the only second player after Prakash Padukone to hold the junior and national singles crown together, gave tips to the 60-odd budding badminton stars who participated in the extensive training clinic divided into two sessions, under the supervision of former junior national coach Sanjeev Sachdeva.

Explaining the technicalities of the game and briefing the aspirants about the real life pressures, the Asian Junior Champion urged the children to work hard and lead a disciplined life. She encouraged these youngsters to dream big as she had at their age.

...Much of Indias sporting talent, in various disciplines has come from remote and rural areas. Recognising the need to spread the game of badminton far and wide and nurture talent from the grassroots level, Manav Rachna Sports academy and Yonex Sunrise conducted one day badminton training clinic for budding players as well as coaches at Manav Rachna Sports Academy today.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And she announces herself on the bigger stage by routing Olympic gold medalist Li Xuerui, that too in China.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressive show by sindhu although she lost to jiang yj. Hopefully she and sania can break the dominance of great wall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paroxysmal View Post
    And she announces herself on the bigger stage by routing Olympic gold medalist Li Xuerui, that too in China.
    I wouldn't use the word routing. It may be too strong on LXR when she was defeated in 3 games at a time when she was short of training. Of course LXR will bounce back but credit must be given to Sindhu who could well be better than Saina, given the relatively short time that she was exposed to the senior ranks and already showing such good promise.

I can't remember Saina beating the top China WS at Sindhu's present age.

Sindhu's future will be brighter provided she continues to take her training seriously.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    I wouldn't use the word routing. It may be too strong on LXR when she was defeated in 3 games at a time when she was short of training. Of course LXR will bounce back but credit must be given to Sindhu who could well be better than Saina, given the relatively short time that she was exposed to the senior ranks and already showing such good promise.

I can't remember Saina beating the top China WS at Sindhu's present age.

Sindhu's future will be brighter provided she continues to take her training seriously.
    I totally agree with you 'routing' is a strong and an exaggerated term to use as she won it in three games and on top of that look at the margin she lost the second game... We dont need to get excited by just one win and get ahead of ourselves. We need to wait and see how will play against a Chinese player who is in her element. LXR's defeat can attributed to post olympic drop in focus and motivation levels as she has already achieved the ultimate. And also she wasn't training that hard after the OG which is quite understandable after gold medal win. But we cant take any thing away from Sindhu for winning this match because even with the dropped levels of focus a player of LXR's caliber its a difficult task to beat her. Only a top ten player can do that. Sindhu totally deserves to be in top 10 by the year end which I was skeptical about earlier as she had many flaws in her game. She has improved immensely and still needs to cover few areas. Once she addresses those flaws she'll become unbeatable mainly because of her frame. Its really a mouth watering prospect to see how she'll fare against WYH.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sindhu,well done,keep it up! Even Li YB has sit up and taken notice of you. He is reported to have said that you:

1) definitely have the potential vis-a-vis the CHN WS;

2) possess the physical attributes, specifically height and reach;

3) are equipped with the skills, movement ability (good court coverage) and agility -

to become an outstanding player.

He also said he is putting you on his radar screen and that you are the bright spot among the foreign players in this CHN Masters 2012 tournament.

Such compliments coming from a very capable, highly successful and insightful Head Coach is not to be taken lightly, a recognition of Sindhu's future prospects. Personally, I've no doubt you would soon outperform your established senior, Saina.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow....great going girl...but looks like she is still having trouble with turning and her backhand is a bit weak......as everybody would analyse her now....she would be having more difficulty in her matches from now on....but I would really love to see if she can get into the top 10 by this year's end as she said in the interview with suetyan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PV Sindhu, Sameer Verma pull out of World Junior Badminton Championships

In a major setback to Indias chances, rising stars PV Sindhu and Sameer Verma have withdrawn from the World Junior Badminton Championships to be held in Chiba, Japan, from October 25 to November 3. While Sindhu picked up a knee injury at the Super Series event in China last month, Verma hurt his ankle.
    Sindhu wont be participating. She hurt her knee in China and Japan and played with the injury at the senior nationals in Srinagar. She then got an MRI done the doctor advised her to take some rest, said chief national coach P Gopichand, who is also the 17-year-olds mentor. Verma, also 17, had lost in the semifinals of the same event last year, in Taipei.

more info:http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...nships_1752060

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't understand why she had played the nationals with an injury......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A short interview with P.V. Sindhu

You just beat the World No. 2 Li Xuerui at the China Masters. What was your approach during the match against Xuerui that helped you beat her comfortably?
    I just went normally into the court thinking that I have to give my 100 percent and gave my best and won against her, and so I am pretty happy about that.

How disappointing was it to lose the final at the National Championships?
    I was disappointed. But I couldnt help it as I had knee pain and was not able to give my 100 percent.

Has the pressure increased on you ever since you beat Li Xuerui at the China Masters?
    Nothing like pressure but winning against her was really a big achievement for me till now
    Your landmark win has suddenly made you the focus of everyones attention. Are you comfortable being in the spotlight? Do you enjoy the increased attention, or would you prefer that the media left you alone?
    Yes, I am comfortable and I enjoy it. The media also supported me a lot and I am happy with it.

What do you think makes the Chinese so dominating in badminton? Do you think your win against the Xuerui is a sign of this domination coming to an end?
    The Chinese players are really strong but its not like no one can beat them. On that day, the player who plays well and gives her best is the winner.

Do you think badminton as a sport has developed as well as it should in India?
    Yes, Badminton as a sport has really developed well in India, and I would wish that it develops more and more.
    Saina Nehwal has become the torch-bearer for the game in India. Has her success made things easier for new players, or have the increased expectations because of her success made things tougher?
    Its not a matter of easier or tougher, but she and her success have become a inspiration for many players and youngsters too.
    Aside from Saina, did you have any role models growing up?
    Yes I do, a girl from Chinese Taipei named Tai Tzu Ying. She is not like exactly a role model for me, but she is really playing well and has a good game.

Read more: http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/10/1...#ixzz29N2SGyx6
    Last edited by rajat_remar; 10-15-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I viewed Sindhu's match against LXR a few days ago. Frankly, I think she won through a combination of daring play and fortuitous points by herself, and some incredibly pedestrian play by LXR. It was for the most part, LXR's match to lose, and she made sure she did. The Indian media of course, went into raptures as expected.

Having said that, I was really impressed by the way she took JYJ to the wire. It was all there: guts, and the determination of a young girl to win if she had to, but on her terms. The final 5-6 points of the match said it all. Well played, Sindhu, at the China Masters; not the QF, but the SF!

Of course, she had no business trying for another National title if she was already injured. I do believe Gopi must be very cautious with allowing his top wards to play when carrying any injury. India does not as yet possess a depth of strong players at the international level. And Sindhu is too precious a talent to take chances with. She still needs to work on her strength.

And she needs to work on her technique. And footwork. She is learning at the top international level that her so-called greatest asset, her height can also very quickly become her achilles heel. Repeatedly caught short at the net; out of position; wrong-footed in mid-court; tentative when reading the shape of the opponent; tangled in defense to body smashes. And of course, her backhand!

A lot of people may bemoan her shot selection, or allow it as the impetuosity of youth, as GC would say. I think GC is right: shot selection will sort itself out if her technique and footwork become second nature. She's doing pretty well overall: a year ago, she was ranked 76, today she's 21 (rank, not age! )

I think she should be made to stop playing National tournaments, and made to focus only on international tournaments . This will allow her to sharpen her skills against better opponents, and keep improving. It will also allow her to study the shape and skills of players from different schools and styles, and this will help her hugely in the years to come. If she does this now, she will have a head-start on most girls 3-4 years from now. If she, Gopi and the rest of her team do it right and smart starting now, I believe she can be a very strong bet for gold in 2016. This, despite the fact that she's now locked on LYB's radar!

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast