Yonex SHB89 shoes review?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by kwun, May 4, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hi,

anyone got any first hand review of the Yonex SHB89 shoes? they came out at the beginning of the year thus relatively new.

i searched through the posts and there aren't much said about it other than it was coming out.

aside from the review of the shoes itself, i am especially interested in how it compares to the SHB95. i love my SHB95 but it is getting to the end of its life. i can either spend US$100+shipping to buy a Japan version from Luxis, or i can spend US$85+tax to buy a pair of SHB89. so i am considering that. i don't like the US version of the SHB95 (SHB95EX)

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Power Cushion 98 Mid

Kwun,

Perhaps, you should wait for the PC 98 Mid and then do a comparison between it, the SHB 95 (Jp) and the PC 89 Men. In the meantime, why not stick to the SHB 92 EX?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i prefer low shoes. i need the extra ventilation.... :p

here is the logic behind me looking at the SHB89.

i need to buy a new pair of shoes, and i have tried a lot of the shoes in the market, the SHB95 (JP) are the ones that fits my wide feet best. the rest of thes shoes in the market are too narrow and are very painful to wear.

ideally, i can get another pair of SHB95 (JP) for HK$800, however, i also noticed that the SHB89 are selling for only $85+tax locally and they have similar technlogy as the SHB95, and i was hoping that they will be similar in feel as the SHB95.

the SHB95 (HK) are not as comfortable as the SHB95 (JP), and it scratches the back of my heels.

i have tried the SHB92 before and that didn't feel as comfortable as the SHB95..

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    SHB 92 EX

The crucial thing about SHB 92 EX is to change the original cushion asap.

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Man, I wish it was sold here. I would have gotten it in a heart beat. Because the SHB-95 seem wide and that's what I got. I've only seen one person at my club have it and he's on the national team so he's sort of sponsered.

Tell me how it goes if you get it. It' looks like an excellent shoe. Just that is it wide enough for you if your feet are that big? They looked pretty narrow when I saw them.

6. mph

mph New Member

student
    shb 89 shoes

Has anyone out there tried the new yonex shb-89 shoes? I saw a md player wearing them in one of the photos of the new armortec racquet. I need some good court shoes and have never tried yonex shoes. How do they compare with past yonex shoes, with other brands of court shoes? Thanks for any replies.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    pro-ace do a copy of the shb95, look exactly the same. Have not tried either shoe so cannot say whether they are same comfort. You seem to be quite a conoisseur on shoes, so this may not be of use however.:) Think they are produced in taiwan, but they used to be british. I only know about the shoe as a friend has a pair,sorry dont know the model number. I believe they would be a fraction of the cost as well.

8. MusclePower100

MusclePower100 Regular Member

When do the SHB89 Men come out in Calgary and how much would they be?

9. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

Yonex Shoes

I personally use the SHB76 Mid and the SHB88 which i bought from Windsor Rackets in Japan. They are both pretty light and very comfortable. I like the fit of the SHB88 better. Yonex tho have discontinued the SHB88 (which is a regular low cut shoe).

The SHB 76 Mid is a mid cut shoe and I find it to be more "snug" or tight. This is a bit "uncomfortable for me since I wear an ankle support on my right foot. (I have twisted this ankle so many times before...) But i have to bear with it because I need the added protection of the mid cut shoe.

Both are quite durable considering I use (alternately) them 4-5x a week. I am thinking of getting the SHB98 Mid when I go to Japan next month. :eek:

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Here's a copy of a post of mine from April 2003

<<<
    Long time ago I used to wear some Nike basketball trainers and I loved them. They had to go when one of the air units got a puncture. I tried to replace them with some more basketball trainers but I never got the same feeling.
    I tried the Hi-tec indoor court shoes (squash and badminton) but felt that they did not give enough support under the arches.
    Then I found some Adidas court shoes on sale (can't remember the model). They felt good so I bought 4 pairs. These have all now worn out (the soles aren't stuck on very well, or I wear them out quickly)

So about 2 weeks ago I went and tried on some Yonex SHB-89M because I wanted to see if their Ergoshape(where you get more room in the toe area) was any more comfortable. It was so I bought them. I have nothing to complain about with the Yonex SHB-89M shoes. Support, cushioning, grip, comfort, are all good.
    >>>

I have wide feet myself, and find the Ergoshape very comfortable.
    In those Adidas shoes I eventually added some sorbothane inners to get more cushioning. I don't need them in the Yonex.

I can't compare them to SHB95 for you though. These are my first Yonex shoes.

11. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Out of curiousity, can you answer these questions:

How old are your shoes?
    Do you have the export versions or Japan?

After x amount of months, do you see any signs of ripping (Toe area really), or the sole being worn out? I was going to buy the SHB-89 if my shoes got lost however it was such a dilemma since the Ex version was 100 CAD and JP version was 160 JP. Right now I got the SHB-95 in JP so I'm just curious to know since the SHB-89 seems to be made of more solid leather.

12. Neil Nicholls

Bought 26-Mar-2003 (so about 7 weeks old, so about 35 hours play)

The only code I can find that seems relevant is SHB-89MX
    The X might be for export, I dont know.
    There's a "SH0301" which might be YYMM date of manufacture
    and a "NMP-141" which I have no guess for
    On the box it says "Made in Macau" and "NMP-141"

There is slight wear on the racquet foot sole in the big toe area
    and very slight wear on the non-racquet upper and toe area on the big toe side

It is a bit early to tell after only 35 hours wear, but I think I would be most concerned about the wear on the racquet foot sole.

I like them enough to want to get another pair so I can rotate them

regards,
    Neil

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks neil for the info

interesting as the pair that i saw in a local shop, the box says "made in china". i didn't pay attention to the model number, i will go check next week.

14. Neil Nicholls

durability update

Bought 26-Mar-2003 (so about 16 weeks old, so about 100 hours play)

racquet foot sole holding up very well

non-racquet foot:
    upper: mostly OK.
    tiny patch of leather completely worn through showing grey material underneath. location: up-down - Halfway from sole to laces, front-back lace hole nearest toes.

Sole: not so good
    2cm long 4mm wide maybe 2mm deep gouge worn through the sole under the big toe showing white material underneath. Not directly on the sole, but just where the sole starts to curve up towards the upper.

(note to self: get a digital camera)

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Overall, do you recommend them as a buy?

16. Neil Nicholls

Possibly. I haven't tried enough different court shoes to give a general recommendation.

Comfort is good. Good for wide feet.
    Shock absorption is Good
    UK Price - comparable to top of the range Hi-Tec, Karakal, Prince, Inflight
    cheaper than Wilson Trance Indoor and Victor Dura Tec Trium 3000

It depends on the indiviual's requirements...
    My requirements are a shoe for wide feet with plenty of cushioning

I would buy another pair, but I might try something else first.

17. Neil Nicholls

update

Bought 26-Mar-2003 (so about 22 weeks old, so about 135 hours play)

Racquet foot:
    Sole starting to show slight wear where the heel turns into the mid-sole
    Uppers - like new
    inside the shoe in the cushioning around the heel area - starting to see tears in the fabric

Non-racquet foot:
    inside - good
    uppers -
    Sole - good everywhere except in the area that the gouge appeared
    the gouge has extended forwards, got wider and deeper. 4cm long, 1cm wide, 0.5 cm deep. The hole is through the sole, through some of the white spongy stuff, and now I can see what looks like the underside of the insole (not the removable insole, the thing under that)

This is the first time I've checked them since my last post in this thread, so I don't know how long they've been like this. I expect the rate of deterioration is increasing as the hole gets bigger.

If I hadn't already bought another pair a month ago, I would have started looking for something different.

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I've bought a pair of SHB89KR ( Korea Version ) but its made in China. Haven't tried it yet..coz i'm still using my Gosen. I don't really know what is the different. But i heard that the Japanese Material is much better and sturdy than Made in CHINA ones.

19. Pre-emptive

Pre-emptive Regular Member

I received my SHB-89JP last week. They are also made in china. Comparing them with my 89 US version, the construction and material are slightly different but mostly cosmetic. The JP has significantly better appearance. It comes with a different sole too. They use a special fabric in the sole called "Verycool" and the toes area is rippled. Performance wise I do not notice any difference yet except the a tighter fit provided by the wrap around instep.

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Per Emptive... Can you post a picture for us to see the verycool material on the shoes? So me and others can compare their versions with the JP versions.