User Tag List

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 137 to 153 of 207
  1. #137
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow It was an embarrassment for the umpire when he over-ruled a correct call

    .
    At the 2012 Thomas Cup & Uber Cup, I was seeing more reviews on the BIG screen; the playback of many shots (in or out).

    At the MD1 of the Thomas Cup final match (CHN-vs-KOR), it was a BIG embarrassment for the experienced umpire when he over-ruled a correct call by the line-judge (when the KOR pair won a point from a smash). And it was at a crucial moment of the match too.

    Perhaps BCers who are good at copying video shots can post it here (to show what I am talking about).
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 05-27-2012 at 10:50 PM.

  2. #138
    Regular Member diverdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    About time. Stop players cheating and trying to influence the line judges.

  3. #139
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,123
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diverdan View Post
    About time. Stop players cheating and trying to influence the line judges.
    You got that totally wrong in this situation that chris was referring to at 18-15 in game 1 of the md1 final. See here starting at 1hr 32min 00sec:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wuga...feature=relmfu

    LYD's smash was just inside the baseline and was called correctly by the linesman, but at Cai and Fu's protest, the umpire over-ruled it and gave the point to the Chinese. Now this replay can be seen in the 2 giant screens in the venue by everyone and it was obvious to everyone that it was in. The umpire had no clear sight of the baseline furthest away from him and should not have even entertained an overrule. And of course, Cai and Fu should not have gotten away with the influence on the umpire himself, much less the line judge!

  4. #140
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,214
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it was rare to see an incorrect overrule.

  5. #141
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation chris was referring to at 18-15 in game 1 of the md1 final

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    You got that totally wrong in this situation that chris was referring to at 18-15 in game 1 of the md1 final. See here starting at 1hr 32min 00sec:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wuga...feature=relmfu

    LYD's smash was just inside the baseline and was called correctly by the linesman, but at Cai and Fu's protest, the umpire over-ruled it and gave the point to the Chinese. Now this replay can be seen in the 2 giant screens in the venue by everyone and it was obvious to everyone that it was in. The umpire had no clear sight of the baseline furthest away from him and should not have even entertained an overrule. And of course, Cai and Fu should not have gotten away with the influence on the umpire himself, much less the line judge!
    .
    Yes, I was referring to at 18-15 in Game 1 of the MD1 Final.

    That was at a crucial moment of the game too.

    What surprised me was that the BIG screen showed the playback of the shot (that it was IN), but the umpire refused to correct his wrong decision.
    .

  6. #142
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Yes, I was referring to at 18-15 in Game 1 of the MD1 Final.

    That was at a crucial moment of the game too.

    What surprised me was that the BIG screen showed the playback of the shot (that it was IN), but the umpire refused to correct his wrong decision.
    .
    But once it's been changed it can't be changed again I thought ?!?! That's what the rules state. Otherwise if a wrong call is made by the line judge and the umpire doesn't correct, but the big screen shows there was an error, the umpire still can't change the call.

    Personally I feel that a simple tv replay system is more than enough. No need for hawkeye or anything like that...

  7. #143
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,903
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    If it was a shot on the far side, then the umpire made an error by even considering an overrule.

  8. #144
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy That was a costly point to lose for the KOR pair

    Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    But once it's been changed it can't be changed again I thought ?!?! That's what the rules state. Otherwise if a wrong call is made by the line judge and the umpire doesn't correct, but the big screen shows there was an error, the umpire still can't change the call.

    Personally I feel that a simple tv replay system is more than enough. No need for hawkeye or anything like that...
    .
    The replay was shown almost immediately for everyone to see. Even LYD pointed to the BIG screen (showing what should be the correct call).

    Anyway, that was a costly point to lose for the KOR pair (at that crucial moment of that game).
    .

  9. #145
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up FIFA will introduce goal-line technology

    .
    On Thursday, 05-July-2012, FIFA says it will introduce goal-line technology at the Club World Cup in Japan in December 2012, and plans to use it at the 2013 Confederations Cup and the 2014 World Cup.

    I wonder when BWF will follow with similar court-line technology?

    Source: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...ine-technology

    FIFA will introduce goal-line technology at the Club World Cup in Japan in December, and plans to use it at the 2013 Confederations Cup and the 2014 World Cup.

    Football finally embraced goal-line technology as FIFA's lawmaking panel approved two systems for use in matches on Thursday.

    FIFA will introduce goal-line technology at the seven-team Club World Cup in Japan in December, and plans to use it in Brazil at the 2013 Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup.

    FIFA President Sepp Blatter said the approved Hawk-Eye and GoalRef systems would provide "99 percent security" that a notorious refereeing error which helped eliminate England at the last World Cup would not be repeated.

    "There is no 100 percent guarantee in life. In the past we didn't have accurate systems, but I have to say, 'Thank you, Lampard,'" Blatter said, referring to England midfielder Frank Lampard, whose clear goal against Germany did not count in South Africa two years ago.

    FIFA will use both goal-line systems in Japan, after they won unanimous support from the International Football Association Board (IFAB) panel, chaired by Blatter.

    The English Premier League is expected to adopt one of the systems - which are expected to cost up to $US250,000 per stadium to install - during next season.

    Major League Soccer in the United States has also expressed interest.

    The IFAB panel, comprising officials from FIFA and the four British football associations, also approved a five-officials system of refereeing which UEFA President Michel Platini promoted as an alternative to technology.

    In a third historic ruling, the panel reversed a ban on women players, notably in the Middle East, wearing headscarves in FIFA competitions which had been enforced for safety reasons in 2007.

    The three decisions "will be long lasting and resonate throughout the world," said Patrick Nelson, chief executive of the Northern Ireland association.

    Thursday's decision was expected and completed Blatter's U-turn, after FIFA had previously blocked using technology to help referees make decisions.

    It followed two weeks after another major tournament was blighted by a goal-line error, as European Championship co-host Ukraine was denied a goal against England in a decisive group match.

    "It became evident the moment what happened in South Africa in 2010, that this cannot be repeated, and it happened again in the Ukraine. Ukraine can still not believe it," Blatter said.

    The IFAB panel accepted test results conducted by a Zurich-based technology institute that proved Hawk-Eye and GoalRef could accurately judge when balls crossed the goal line, and send an immediate signal to the match referee.

    Hawk-Eye is a British camera-based system already used in tennis and cricket.

    GoalRef is a Danish-German project using magnetic sensors in the goalposts to track a special ball.
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 07-05-2012 at 06:00 PM.

  10. #146
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,123
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    US$250,000 to install per stadium?! That'd be more than the total prize money in a typical Super Series or Premier badminton tournament!

  11. #147
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,578
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    US$250,000 to install per stadium?! That'd be more than the total prize money in a typical Super Series or Premier badminton tournament!
    Wtf?! What's wrong with having a couple of people watching a frame-by-frame replay of the line cameras? If they can send it hundreds of miles to my telly, surely they can send it to a VDU in the stadium... no need for space-age Hawkeye nonsense.

  12. #148
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sarawak
    Posts
    944
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Football governing body (IFAB) has finally bowed to the demands for GOAL-line technology ie Hawk-Eye and the GoalRef systems in the sport.
    Fifa's president Sepp Blatter changed his mind on the goal-line technology after Frank Lampard's disallowed goal for England against Germany in the 2010 World Cup.
    The nod will give the green light to the Premier League and Football Association introducing the technology into their competitions most probably this year and definitely next.
    The IFAB, has insisted that the technology is to be used only as an aid to referees to make a decision, rather than being the deciding factor in whether the ball has crossed the line.
    The Hawk-Eye system developed by a British company now owned by Sony is based on cameras and GoalRef, a Danish-German development, uses magnetic fields.
    Will the BWF also follow the trend and implement the Hawk-Eye system so as to avoid disputed line calls?

  13. #149
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Frame-by-frame replay of the line cameras should do the job

    Quote Originally Posted by skchen View Post
    Will the BWF also follow the trend and implement the Hawk-Eye system so as to avoid disputed line calls?
    .
    Probably BWF won't have enough money to implement the Hawk-Eye system.

    Like what Mark A has suggested, frame-by-frame replay of the line cameras should do the job.
    .

  14. #150
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,989
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .Like what Mark A has suggested, frame-by-frame replay of the line cameras should do the job..
    That's all good. But one has to know that there will be some replays that aren't definitive, so controversy will not be completely eliminated. There are times in ice hockey where the replay is uncertain so the official's original call stands. One team is still left griping. BUT the aggreived coach tends to stop his apoplectic fit of outrage more quickly when there is no objective leg to stand on. So if replay rulings have done nothing else, they have perhaps prevented a few strokes behind the benches. :/

  15. #151
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Frame by frame would be ok in badminton as like tennis there is time between points, the reason the football system cost 250,000 is that is a real time monitoring system so when the ball crosses the line the referee instantly knows through an ear piece. Using a frame by frame TV camera was rejected by FIFA as it would interrupt the flow of the game.

    In badminton like tennis a limit on any challenges would have to be introduced though otherwise any close calls would always be challenged by someone. Luckily unlike tennis due to the shuttlecock normally the cork does land first so a TV camera with a high frame rate would probably be sufficient in 99% of cases (so no need for hawk eye as in tennis where the margins are more often blurred on serves) if there's still no idea after looking at the camera image say with the on court call.

  16. #152
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow BWF cannot afford to pay for the use of either the Hawk-Eye or the GoalRef system

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    That's all good. But one has to know that there will be some replays that aren't definitive, so controversy will not be completely eliminated. There are times in ice hockey where the replay is uncertain so the official's original call stands. One team is still left griping. BUT the aggreived coach tends to stop his apoplectic fit of outrage more quickly when there is no objective leg to stand on. So if replay rulings have done nothing else, they have perhaps prevented a few strokes behind the benches. :/
    .
    Yes, controversy will not be completely eliminated when BWF cannot afford to pay for the use of either the Hawk-Eye or the GoalRef system.
    .

  17. #153
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,214
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the prize money for UEFA Euro 2012 is 196 million euro.

    US$250,000 is peanuts.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BaD Line Calls and Living With It
    By Pakito in forum General Forum
    Replies: 6
    : 09-22-2011, 03:43 AM
  2. Challenging line calls in Badminton
    By Sampat in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 11
    : 01-27-2011, 07:33 AM
  3. Bad Line Calls
    By Michael Jensen in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 38
    : 11-30-2008, 05:45 AM
  4. Line calls in tournaments
    By Brett in forum General Forum
    Replies: 4
    : 06-14-2001, 12:19 AM
  5. Line disputes when there are no umpires
    By Brett in forum General Forum
    Replies: 6
    : 12-12-2000, 01:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •