Indonesia open organizers are not professional

Discussion in 'Thailand / Singapore / Indonesia Open 2011' started by 2cents, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    The match schedule is very bad, it cannot be finished by the end of today, not only that, the worse part is the schedule is so unfair.

Professional organizers know to schedule next round opponents playing the earlier rounds at the same time. Say, the winner between LCW and TS will meet the winner between WKW vs BL tomorrow. So, today, the match LCW vs TS should be scheduled the same time as WKW vs BL. So that, 2 parties for tomorrrow get the same hours for resting.

But Indonesia open organizer schedule LCW vs TS early in the morning, but WKW vs BL late night. What the heck! even worse, due to their terrible schedule, the match WKW vs BL have to play after midnight, that's the early morning of the next day.

Where's the fair play?

this is just an example, all the schedules are unfair. PSH had finished his play this afternoon, his next round potential opponents, Chen Jin and Simon Santoso have not yet on court yet, they have to play tomorrow morning too. Yesterday, ZTC had to play 2 connsecutive matches without resting.

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

surely they need more than 4 courts in the early rounds. i remember years ago AE had 7 courts side-by-side at wembley, well they cut it down to 5 now.

3. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

Hmm..............for next year, they should into 5 or 6 courts.............

4. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
    I also saw this in Singapore Open last week.
    BUT in Indonesia Open, the case is (IMO) the organizer only provide 40mins of play per match, as in the rule. (maybe) they don't think that this is Premier Super Series Event, which is every player will try to do their best in each match. This make him/her to play as dead-and-life match. So it takes a long time for the match.

5. wetsvandal

wetsvandal Regular Member

hm maybe they will place those "unfair" game late for tomorrow..so wont effect too much

CMIIW

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

thanks for you guys inputs. But all you guys mentioned are just the bad scheuling and organizing. The worse part is the unfairness! It's so unfair and absurd to schedule one match in the early morning, the opponent's match in the late of night. Plus the bad organizing, the late night matches had to postponed to the next day, which make even more unfair.

Assuming you were WKW (or BL), your next round opponent LCW had finished his match early this morning at 11:00 am, and resting after that comfortably. And you (WKW) were asked to play at 9:40 pm late night. You had to be there before 9:00 pm, then wait (uncomfortably definitely) for 5 hours to get on the court at 2 am next morning. After you finished your match at 3 am fortunately, you get to your hotel at 4 am, and you have to play LCW at 11 am again, which means you have to get on court to register by 10:30 am, assume the travelling takes 1 hour, then after a sleepless fighting night, you have only 4 hours to sleep and rest. While LCW has been rested comfortably for 24 hours.

with such unfairness, the final winners would not be convincing winners. So this is not a good thing for either the loser, or the winner.

That's one of the reason badminton has been looked down to. This kind of schedule would never be seen on other sports, say tennis, football.

#6 2cents, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  7. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

But I saw the schedule for tomorrow has not been released yet........Maybe the organizers will do the rescheduling for all the winners for today late night matches.......:)

8. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

no matter it's released or not, the winner of WKW/BL has to play LCW at the same time tomorrow.

That's just an example, The same thing happen to CJ/SS vs PSH, and all others. Indonesia open organizers have never take this into consideration at all. Or maybe they did that on purpose to break down some players physically and mentally beyond their capabilities.

9. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

Well, I'm sure they're not going to do that on that purpose...

Let's just see the confirmed list of schedule for tomorrow..:)

10. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

using 4 courts, 5 courts or 6 courts is just their capability to handle the tournaments. of course, they don't.

but why not schedule LCW/TS and WKW/BL at the same time, or close each other in timing? instead, they arranged 1 in the early morning, the other in the late night. Why not at least schedule them both in the morning, or both in the evening? That has nothing to do with the organizers' capability. I really cannot explain it, can you?

11. touya

touya Regular Member

I agree with you that the schedule is not fair. However, I don't think there is any intention from the organizer to exhaust some players or to help Indonesian players by giving them more rest time. Look at Simon Santoso and Chen Jin match, let say SS won that match, it definitely give disadvantage to SS, an Indonesian player.. Another example, MK/HS match today was really late compared to their tomorrow opponent, JPN, match today. IMO, maybe the organizer just want to put the more exciting match at the peak time. CMIIW

12. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

you are right, I observed that, #1 ranked Lee CW vs local hope Tommy S should catch everyone's eyes, while WKW/BL were nobody-care-about. Why LCW-TS was in the morning, while WKW-BL in the prime time

13. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

again, I don't think the orgainizer try to help anyone specifically. It's not for promoting the most anticipated matches on prime time either. The only explanation is not professional, as I said in the tile.

14. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

but the consequence is that those players who playing so late now, badly hurt their chance in the next round. Those victims include Wong KW, Kido/Setiawan, Chen Jin, Jiang YJ....

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

First of all the hotel is walking distance from the stadium, second of all this happens at plenty of tournaments including other sports like football when one team that has a champions league match can ask to schedule their league match earlier in the week (La Liga) and in other leagues their opponent in the CL can't ask to move their league match (EPL). And third of all the BWF assigns the tournament referees:

Technical Oficials:

Referee: Dirk Kellerman (GER)

Deputy Referee: Ajit Wijayasinghe(SRI)

Spread out scheduling example: All England Premier SS 2011 http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...88CA87-7360-4444-8AFD-4D278ACCF669&d=20110309

LCW vs WKW @ 5.45PM
    And it's certainly not he first tournament to finish a schedule beyond midnight either [​IMG].

#15 demolidor, Jun 22, 2011
  16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

6.9 Tournament schedule
    6.9.1 The schedule for each Superseries tournament must comply with the outline as attached
    Annex C.

6.9.2 The proposed detailed time schedule for a Superseries tournament must be submitted to the referee for approval. If the submitted schedule is not acceptable to the referee, and consultation with the organiser does not result in a schedule that is mutually acceptable, the referee has power to decide the schedule. The schedule may not be published until it has been approved by the referee.

I do agree it would be a little more fair/logical to at least schedule these brackets a little more closer than this but still they have left more than enough time for rest (probably have been situations where you finish late and have to be present early next morning) as well as the CJ vs PSH match (where ever did you get earliy morning next day from when you wrote this ??)

#16 demolidor, Jun 22, 2011
  17. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

Thanks demolidor, it really clears the air.....

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

While the match arrangement (esp the last few matches) during the second day of the competition is a little bit off schedule, to say that the Indonesia SSP organizer is not professional IS NOT FAIR! I know those who have worked their ass off to make this event a success, with the Welcome Dinner, interview arrangements of players with local TVs and also TV programs that are made specially for this event!

Problems like scheduling or TS livescore that went off suddenly are more technical and trust me....they have done their best to rectify every problem. I called some of them when I discovered the livescore was off and the problem was solved soon.

So, please give them credit for that!

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wait till hau-ge sees this thread!

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

That was what I was about to write!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.