New to photography..

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by jhirata, Jun 22, 2011.

1. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Hi thar.

I've decided to take up photography as a new hobby, after I got amazed by my friend's 60D and his ultrasonic macro lens I used to take photos of my architecture models at uni.

I want to invest in a decent dslr, with the purpose of taking photographs of landscapes, architecture, things happening in my daily life and also a bit of badminton.

Right now, I'm looking at the Nikon D5100 as an option for long-term use, possibly using it with a tamron 18-200mm lens (because it's cheaper than the nikon ones..) and a 90/100mm macro lens for photographing my models. Good combination for my purposes? Some better things you can recommend?

I can't spend too much money, I'm not going to spend over 1200USD..

I don't really understand too much of those numbers and figures on the spec sheets for cameras, so it's really hard for me to know what's suitable.

I was initially interested in the Sony Alpha NEX-5 because of its low-ish pricetag and the fast-ish shutter speed which could be useful for taking badminton photos, but some people told me that it's got a small sensor and that there's a lack of lenses available for it, blah blah..

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Perhaps this will help: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/
    An 18-200 doesn't sound very promising for sports given the budget nor the 5100 going on

"At around 4 fps, continuous shooting is superior to the D3100 (which tops out at 3fps) and is respectable without being class-leading. We suspect it will keep the vast majority of users perfectly happy, but if you're looking for a really fast-shooting sub-$1000 camera there are better options available (like the 6fps Pentax K-r, for example).

As with all Nikon DSLRs that lack an internal AF motor, autofocus speed is very much lens dependent, and the 18-55mm kit zoom isn't a speed demon, and it's likely to satisfy most potential buyers. It's worth bearing in mind that like all DSLRs, the D5100 focuses more slowly in Live View mode, but Nikon deserves credit for improving focus speed in live view significantly over the last-generation. The D5100 just can't compete with the likes of the GH2 for contrast-detection AF speed, but it is significantly faster than the equivalent system in the Canon EOS 1100D/600D, which are painfully slow by comparison."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/page11.asp

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you are looking for longterm use, why not consider a 2nd hand camera.

Why? The camera bodies come and go but lenses change much less frequently.

If you are particularly interested in Nikon, then consider a D300.

Have you tried your friend's 60D in a badminton court? Do try. The most challenging situation for you would be taking badminton shots.

I'm not a fan of the 18-200mm. Go for a shorter telephoto that is lighter in weight and easier to manage.

Good baddy photos need fast aperture lenses so it really depends on your requirements for the photos.

If your requirements were general photography and macro, I probably would not have replied to your post.:)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    faster shutter speed is mostly useless for badminton.

in most dark gyms and stadiums your shutter speed is limited by the amount of light available and thus you will hardly go over 1/500 or if you are lucky 1/800 -ish. most camera are capable of such speeds.

anything faster you will need to be outdoor.

what is more important for badminton is a body and lens that can auto-focus really fast. that means the 5100 is probably out of the question. the D7000 is a really nice body but unfortunately beyond your budget.

so perhaps Cheung's suggestion is not a bad one.

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Oh gad those are expensive. I'd have to sell my road bike for that, even if I was to buy it 2nd hand.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

What about the Canon 50D, how much is it in your region now? Although checking a comparison in the 60D review the 60D's pics look better in detail. Perhaps even wait a while to see how the video aspect of these things develops, each new model seems much improved for the last couple of releases.

#6 demolidor, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Sony Alpha 580/60? ...

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

mr. hirata,
    with the budget of no more than $1200 (i assume for both body and lens(es)), you can get a decent used body and (fast) lens for baddy pics. here in the u.s.:

- a used D300 + 2 batteries/grip/accessories, ranges from $900-$1100
    - a used 40D + 2 batteries/grip/accessories, ranges from $600-$900
    - a used 50D + 2 batteries/grip/accessories, ranges from $700-$1000
    - a used 60D + accessories, ranges from $900-over $1200

those are decent beginner/intermediate bodies...
    for lens, i prefer the primes (for baddy shots, i usually stay away from zoom, unless you have very good lighting or the body can produce decent pics w/hgh ISO settings)..for a decent and economical start up lens, go for a 50mm one.....
    yes, taking baddy photos is an expensive hobby..good luck, have fun and look fw to your contribution here of your baddy pics!

and this thread is very educational also: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/36721-A-good-badminton-photo :cool:

#8 ctjcad, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Have you checked the price of the lenses for Sony? Really, really expensive.

10. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    jhirata, arent you from Japan (or based in Japan)? The cameras and lens are very attractively priced in Japan compared to the rest of the world. You should be able to get a very good deal.

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Cameras are generally ~200nzd cheaper in Japan than the cheapest online shops in NZ, but shipping + customs tax and stuff would make the price difference minimal.. Same goes for buying from American ebay shops.
    I won't be returning to Japan until the end of the year, and I will be "needing":)p) one within the next three weeks(when the new semester starts). I'm most likely to buy a parallel imported one in NZ, since it would be the easiest to access.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Doesn't seem to be much if any difference for the Tamron and Sigma ones over here or do you mean the Zeiss ones?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The Zeiss ones.

But seriously, for macro work, most cameras will suffice. If you want it to cope with badminton pics on top, then you have a problem:)

14. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I ended up purchasing a brand-new D5100 body and a cheap Tamron 70-300mm lens with a macro feature. I'll obviously get told by you guys that it's not good enough for badminton photography :p.. don't need a super fast kit for taking macro pictures of still miniature models under bright light, do I?

I'm intending to buy a 2nd hand lens too, and I found this.. Nikon 50mm F1.4 AF lens.. I suppose it's faster than the cheap Tamron I purchased, so is this any good for badminton, you guys reckon?
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=387308677

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Try it out and tell us. :)

I suggest you use it by the courtside. ISO3200 and set to lens to F2.0

16. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    it will not auto focus with D5100.
    for 50mm, you either get AFS 50mm f/1.4 or AFS 50mm f/1.8G.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

mr. hirata,
    only thing i would like to see is your pics at ISO3200 or higher; badminton related or not..
    other than that....snap away and have fun taking tons of pics and we'll be waiting for your contribution here..:cool:

18. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

^I realised; it's an old model without an AF motor built in the lens.. I'll just stick to what I've got now, and upgrade lenses and stuff later :) no need to buy so much in a rush. No need for a beginner to buy 5x expensive li ning racquets and get them strung to 30lbs.

19. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

So I got the kit now. Autofocus is ridiculously slow on this cheap lens. I doubt I'll be using AF most of the time with this, it'll all be MF.. I will try to invest in a Nikon AF-S 18-55mm VR 3.5~5.6 (?) and maybe a bright AF-S 50mm 1.8 if I can find a cheap one some how.

20. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Alright, I didn't buy the camera for the sake of taking badminton pics, but I tried anyway, with a 2nd hand AF-S 18-55mm 3.5~5.6 G2 ED lens..

Sorry, these images are heavily compressed so the image quality is bad :s.. Shot on S mode, ISO400, 1/400.

People of all levels play at the varsity club.
    285770_10150255746495689_665910688_7892508_5472159_n.jpg

270437_10150255747355689_665910688_7892528_7915876_n.jpg

285656_10150255747830689_665910688_7892542_755719_n.jpg

The sports hall uses natural and artificial lighting. The effect around the windows envokes my curiosity.