*fun* String recommendation?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by jhirata, Jun 22, 2011.

1. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Hi thar.

I've been using bg65 at 28~33lbs for the past two years, strictly no other strings..
    Four out of five racquets in my arsenal are unstrung, last one nearly broken.
    Willing to try different strings for a change.

Here's some of the obvious stuff I want from my strings/stringing:
    *Okay-ish durability
    *Good playability
    *Lively and not numb
    *Nice sound
    ... Hence I've been using bg65 at high tension.. it's really repulsive, crisp, lively and lasts a few months if I regularly switch between racquets.

Should I try..
    -BG65Ti @ 31-ish lbs? I heard that these strings sound nice, but are a bit slippery compared to the usual bg65's.
    -Zymax62 @ 27lbs? I tried this set up on a PP T2 and it felt so fun and easy to use, but would it last long at all..?
    -Zymax70 @ 30-ish lbs, would it be bouncy at high tension like the bg65?
    -BG80 @ 29lbs? Most people love bg80's.. Feels "hard" compared to bg65 and it isnt as durable.
    -BG66 @ 29-ish lbs? Soft feel, repulsive, not durable.. nice to use, yes, no?

Should I try all of these set ups? Just wanting a change from bg65..

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

My most recent string setup is BG65 at 32~34lbs [constant pull tension] and I also use alternatively but regularly BG80 at 31~32lbs. BG80 does feel noticeably harder on shuttle impact but I still like the power (not repulsion) I can get from BG65. BG80 at my tension frays at about one to two months before I cut it.

Another string I would recommend is the JP BG65 Power. It is similar to standard BG65 but with a coating which makes it feel harder on shuttle impact similar to BG80 (at the same tension strung with BG65) but not all that hard as BG80 at the same tension. With a bulk cost of slightly higher than BG80 but even more durability than standard BG65, it is hard to beat if you play at high tensions and consider durability a factor.

Another interesting fact is that BG65 Power is 0.70mm in diameter which is similar to standard BG65, but its thinner 0.68mm version (BG80 is also 0.68mm in diameter) is actually BG66 Sharp ;)

3. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I used to use BG65P when I first started playing like 4 years ago. Didn't notice anything special about it then, but I might as well give it a try now :D..
    I hated BG66S when I tried it, it felt really slippery; or maybe it was due to bad stringing..
    These strings are JP's and are expensive.. so I won't touch them until I return to Japan at the end of the year.
    On another thought - BG65 at HIGHER tension? 35lbs? Ah, no.. at 33lbs, the strings broke by themselves.

Will definitely string a few of my racquets with bg80's then.