Wong Choong Hann / Lee Wan Wah at Manadrin

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Jocen, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jocen

Jocen New Member

Wow !! Wong Choong Hann and Lee Wan Wah from Malaysia are coming in August to conduct HP camp at the Mandarin B.C plus an exhibition too !! These 2 world class badminton stars are one of the best men’s doubles and singles players in the world respectively, what a rare opportunity !!

Wong Choong Hann - Men’s Singles Peak World Ranking: #1
    Lee Wan Wah - Men’s Doubles Peak World Ranking: #2
    http://www.ontariobadminton.on.ca/c...5256D6D004DE73F&c=None&t=None&m=8&y=2011&id=1

2. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Though the game didn't start till 8 pm, it was a fun night. Attendance was great.
    Both WCH and LWW are friendly and easy going. Each of them only had 2 games each, if we could see more action that would be better.

Hope those who signed up with their training camp have a good time.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Agree with mb111. It was a fun night! :D The auditorium was filled to capacity; I think we must have had more than 400 paying peole in attendance. The organisers also had around 30 volunteers who made sure everything went off very, very smoothly.

Of course, WCH and LWW were the star attraction, but we also got to see youngsters like Nyl Yakura and Sergey Shatenko in action, and they were very impressive!

Brittney Tam, the 2011 Junior national champion was a revelation: she is so thin that you hold your breath; but she flies on the court, dominates the net, and packs a mean punch when she needs to! Where does she get that power from?? Technique, technique, technique. I finally appreciated the truth in this when I saw this little girl in action.

The players all had an infectious joy, and it affected everyone who was there; and we had a real fun time.

Wong Choong Hann was always smiling and laughing, chatting with anyone and everyone; no airs, no ego! He was approachable to everyone, and made space and time for everyone. These international players have such a busy schedule, and yet, I could see how genuine they were with sharing their time with everyone who had come to see them. Lee Wan Wah was also the same. These guys are really great!

Andika Young, a former Indonesia Junior player, was also a part of the group that gave us some great games and tricky shots, for the capacity crowd to go "ooohh!" and "aaaahhh!" every now and then! So was the evergreen Brian Prevoe, a former member of the national team.

All in all, an evening to remember...

#3 cobalt, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    I think the crowd number could be easily 600 and more.
    Must say the organizer did a good job based on the number of turn out.
    I didn't see any retailer setting up a booth there, maybe they are no co-sponsors.

Now, the next question is when and how soon will we get to see more of these international players in TO? :D

5. supernova

supernova Regular Member

senior software developer
    How about hosting Canadian Open in Toronto next year?
    Or draw more international players to compete in Toronto Open?

6. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology