What Raquet??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Acura, May 5, 2003.

1. Acura

Acura New Member

Hey guys I used to play badminton at a competitive level 6 days a week for about 3 years then I started full time work and slowly found I had less and less time for the game till i was not playing at all anymore..
    I want to take it back up as a sport now but I have not really played at all for about 3 years and have no idea what raquet to buy.
    I used a carlton Carbonfibre raquet bfor which weighed 85g and loved it was fast moving and easy to controll shots with a really powerfull smash on it due to the flex factor and the sheer speed it moved.

I realy strongly on my smash to do damage to the competition whilst still play a tip and tap game when called apon.
    I would base myself as a Smart/Attacking player.

Can anyone recommend me with a Top Raquet please? My price range is $200 AUD.

Am currently looking at the carlton AS Ti Raquet is this any good?

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

So you have ~ 125 USD to spend on a racquet. I never tried that Carlton racquet you mentioned but I have tried the Yonex TiSwing Power series and found it to be a great racquet. I would probably recommend SS or SX for you considering you like an offensive game. SX if you really have the power and the flex can really give your smashes a little more edge and SS if your smash are pretty decent.

3. Acura

Acura New Member

Yeah thats about right.

I forgot to mention that i would like a raquet that is able to generate power When its needed but able to give a nice gentle touch with controll when playing the finess game.

Thanks for your reply Yodums.

4. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    If you've a chance, try out the MP88. It's a good singles racquet, but excellent for fine & delicate touch at the net.

5. ronk

ronk Regular Member

The MP 99 or Mp 100 can generate more power and you should try both rackets in addition to the MP88. It is a matter of personal preference.

Ron

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Just that the MP99 and MP100 are a lil out of his price range or else I would have suggested it but ronk did bring up a point, a racquet has short term and long term benefits. Don't go cheap since it'll last you quite sometime.

7. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Once the new line of Yonex comes out, the price of the MP99 and MP100 should go down. The MP 100 might be discontinued and become available cheap. The MP 100 is probably the most powerful but the MP 99 will give a nice balance of power and touch.

Ron

8. Smilley

Smilley Regular Member

IT Sec
    One thing I have noticed with the MP range rackets is that they are rather brittle. If you don't hit anything that you are not suppose to with a racket, it should be alright. Believe me, I have seen a MP99 broke at the "T" frame where there's suppose to be a titanium rod of somekind.

I would strongly recommend the Isometric Swing Power rackets as well. Since you mention you were using a flexing racket, the SR would be a good candidate but do not count out the SS version as well. Note that due to the flexibility of the different versions of swing power, you might need to get use to the racket. Try them out.

Smilley