Are you a competitve or non-competitive player?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bigredlemon, May 5, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

So how many BFers here play competitively? (i.e. plays official tournaments including sanctioned local ones) and how many non-competitively?

count me in the non-competitive column.

2. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i play competitively in a non competitive way.... (it that makes any sense at all)...

3. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Competitive all the way. It's my nature or something. I used to race kids home from school if we were both rollerblading or something and they wouldn't even know it. :D

Phil

4. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I am definitely a non-tournament player. However, when I play I do like to play seriously.

5. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Err... where's the satisfaction in winning against people who aren't trying?

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I'm some what both but I'm more non-competitive. I do enter alot of tournaments and that's when I'm competitive. I worry about playing and having fun with friends more than I do training and winning therefore I'm more non :)

7. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Who says I won? :)

The purpose was mainly to keep me moving at a fast pace and not dawdle.

Phil

8. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    yeah! I would say I'm competitive too!

9. Majin Legacy

Majin Legacy Regular Member

I play competitively... Now if I only I played at the level of everyone else :p

10. Jus_anothr_grl

Jus_anothr_grl Regular Member

student
    Haha i'm with u on this one. "competitively in a non competitive way" makes alotta sense to me....not sure bout the rest of you...

11. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    non competitive, like anohter member said, when i play i play seriously..

my first tournament ever was the highschool one just recently, got to YRAA finals but fell apart :( well i have all summer to work on the game :)

12. Majin Legacy

Where do you play TOmike?? (Over the summer and during the season)

13. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)

I'd say competitively. Tho i'm hardly high ranked, and i'm pretty terrible when it comes to tournament play (tho i have DEFINITELY improved over the last season, which is awesome), i try to play in as many tournaments as possible, as long as they aren't ridiculously out of town (like nationals in vancouver this year). However, i'd like to think that by the end of summer training this year, i'll be at a decent enuf level to be able to say that i am of a competitive skill level also.

14. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    umm no i dn't go to any crazy clubs like lees or anything, i don't have any memberships as of this moment but i'm hoping to get some intense summer sessions.

15. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Put me under the "competitive in a non-competitive way" column as well. I'm not good enough to play in competitive tourneys and my only tourney this year was Alberta Schools sanctioned tourney. I'm been really trying hard to improve my game and I've seen huge strides in myself since last year. Could be that I started learning this game far too late(in grade 9) and so any new skills would seem huge!! But when I play even in just friendly skirmishes during practice I still try to play it like I'm there to win. :)

16. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Well... I can't find any competitions around here... so kinda non-competitive? But when I do play I play it competitively... competitive in a non-competitive way??

17. Majin Legacy

I wish I had some crazy clubs around me so I could train. Now that my season is over, I intend to do alot of cardio over the summer, and I'll be getting a membership up at Base Borden, and train with a few friends. Hopefully I can improve on my game. I'm really interested to see how much I can improve taking the game seriously for a while. Couldn't believe I was able to make OFSAA after 2 months of serious training :D

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If we strictly define "participating in tourny is competitive, and no participation (or not frequently participate) is non- competitive", then, I can't agree with ur comments.

Due to many reasons, I know a lot of good players don't participate in tournies, or at least, not very often. In NYC, not many tournies being held. The closest one maybe LI OPen (60 miles aways from NYC) and World Journal Open (10 miles) away. Besides these 2, maybe the closest ones will be CT OPen (150 miles), Boston Open(220 miles), Mid-Atlantic Classic (150 miles), and NJ Open (new, and not sure about location). From this list, u can see if u don't have a lot of time in traveling, a car and $$$ (registration is generally $20 above + travel spends + hotel + equipment usage, etc), it won't be very easy to participate in tournies.

Another draw back is, since there're very limited tournies around (plus, very few with A, B/C format, and others are ONE FLIGHT ONLY!!!), just above average club level players won't be very interested to participate (who wants to be killed in 15-0 by national ranked players???)

However, u can't say those ppl are not good in skill and not competitive. Yeah, compare to national ranked players, we surely are nothing but dust. But when we practice, or participate in local/club tournies, a lot of ppl are damn serious about the game. Ppl going for every shot, every save, even sometimes down by 14-1, still won't just let the game slip away, but try to chip in points as many as possible.

So, have to say, can't really judge how serious a player is, just by how many tournies he participate.

2 good examples:

One friend's uncle (40+ yrs old) used to be a member of Shanghai's city team. Skill vise, needless to say. Just purely dominating in the club. However, with limit amount of $$$, tough working schedule and a whole big family to take care of, I don't think he really participated in any tournies. But I know how serious he is when he plays. Even with aged body (early yr injuries, too), he still doing some crazy saves here and there, and never run slower than younger kids.

Another friend of me, he used to play for city team in China, and city(or school, not sure) team in Japan. If he participate in club tournies, I think he can just win all trophies with his eyes closed. However, he's a student, and don't have a lot of $$$ and a car to travel around. Therefore, compare to me, maybe he did not participate in many "official" tournies, but hey, he kick my butt every single time and being serious.

Well, back to myself. I don't participate many tournies (enough reasoning above), but I am a very serious player. Skill vise, maybe I can be killed easily by many of BF ppl here, but I still want to say I am a "competitive type" player.

19. modious

modious Regular Member

I play both competitive and non competitive.

20. mchou83

mchou83 Regular Member

FULL TIME Student
    competitively in a non competitive way..lol^.^