Using Tennis shoes to play badminton?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Letupan, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Letupan

Letupan Regular Member

Due to size and width constraints, I may not be able to obtain a pair of Badminton court shoes in time before I go play.

Is it acceptable for a person to use tennis shoes to play badminton in indoor courts?

I do not really mind as I don't have much of a choice (when I put on any yonex shoe they are so tight its like stepping in a vice, I have to take 2 sizes larger which the shop usually does not have, or don't carry the wide width shoes) but seems like some court management are rather strict and they demand non-marking soles etc. So I may not be allowed to play.

For my part, I do not want to play in footwear that will also damage the court, and cause inconvenience to other users.

2. Barca

Barca Regular Member

You shouldn't be wearing tennis shoes because you might injure yourself. They are simply not meant for badminton.
    Yes, only non-marking soles are allowed on badminton courts. Any other shoes are not recommended.
    Here's a suggestion. There are shoes for wider feet out there from brands like Mizuno and Yonex. Check out their website or visit a shop nearby to find out more about them. You could also get loads of info in the forum on footwear.
    If they are still too tight for you, I think you better do it bare feet.

#2 Barca, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. Letupan

Letupan Regular Member

Hi Barca, thanks for the informative reply. Can you elaborate on the injury I would get from using Tennis shoe in the long term to play badminton.

As I have just finished a game on a outdoor hard court using the tennis shoe. Now tonight's ache is my right heel seems to be higher than my left. Hopefully by tomorrow it would be less painful.

I was told by the person who sold me the shoe, that the tennis shoe is more suitable than a badminton shoe on hardcourt (supposed to last longer). And that it was suitable because tennis would also involve lots of running but less jumping. Nonetheless I find that it is harder to move around the court with a tennis shoe than a jogging shoe, but the tennis shoe has much better grip on surface, you won't skid, but there is almost no cushioning on the heel. So if I lace up the shoe tight my heels really hurt.

Yes I have searched out the suitable models. Now to see if I can get one in time before I play at the indoor court.