Cab 20 Original - SP or JP?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Smashguy, May 6, 2003.

1. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

Today, I have a chance to pick up a JP Cab 20. It is black in colour, very different from my Cab 20 blue colour. It's just like the Cab 20 Special but without the 'Special' and 'Made In Japan' printed on the shaft.

It costs about HK$1,000. Over twice of the lavender Cab 20 SP.

Does anyone confirm the look of JP version is just like 'Special' SP Version? In www.yonex.co.jp, JP is in black. How about CN Version? Is JP and SP very different in power, control and head heaviness. (JP - up to 22 lbs / SP - up to 20 lbs).

Thanks!

2. ronk

ronk Regular Member

The Cab 20 original was made in the mid 80's or so. Unless you buy a new old stock (that is 15 to 18 years old), any Cab 20 you buy is a remake of the classic and not the original Cab 20. The materials used, etc. will be different as the carbon graphite from the 80's will be different. The construction will also be different. I vaguely remember a thread that discussed the original Cab 20 construction and that there was more epoxy and binding agents used as the technology for constructing racketst was not as advanced in the mid 80's. That said, why get the original Cab 20? It is a heavy racket and the feel is not all that good. I don't really like the feel of the original Cab 20 and never did like it. I even prefer the original Cab 8 and Cab 7 over the Cab 20. Newer rackets use different and probably improved materials. The only reason to buy an original Cab 20 is to keep it pristine (never use it) for a collection.

Ron