[Ask] How to tell Flying Clamp condition

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ae86trueno, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

First of all, sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm not sure what keyword should I use to search. How to tell the condition of flying clamp or how to know when to replace? Does it ever need to be replaced? if yes how long normally a flying clamp last? It just recently I started to think about this, two things I guess can wore out, the spring and the surface between the teeth (where it grip the string). Just want to know if this ever need replace. Idea and discussion welcome, Thank you.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Here is my experience. Please update or comment if you feel different.
    1) Do a test. Depend on your string tension. Think of what is the max tension you will string for you or whomever you string for. Connect a string (String 1) to the turn table and lock it. Clamp string 1 on one side of clamp. Get another string (string 2) and clamp it on the other side of clamp. tension the string 2 to your max tension you want. If the clamp hold, then your clamp is fine. If it does not hold, that mean your clamp might/will slip at that max tension.
    2) Check the strings after you release them. See if there is any cut or damage to string 1 or string 2. If so, there is a chance of slippage or clamp is uneven.
    3) If you are using constant pull machine, if your string job feels different (getting worse) then you might have a problem in your machine or clamps. Check both.
    4) Any crack on your clamps is a indication but not necessary bad clamp. Why? I have a 6 yr old YY clamp and the plastic has crack on the handle. But it passed all my tests and works fine up to 34 lb. No need to replace just for the crack.
    Good luck.

3. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

Thanks Silentheart I will try this method. so the clamp 1 side tie it to lock it down and the other side on the tensioner. I will give it a go when I have chance.