Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Here's another scenario...

Originally posted by graphite
    This stuff is commonly done by the people here in my club:

when they serve by backhand,

1.) they bring the racquet up together with the shuttle (shuttle being held by non-racquet hand) (shuttle and racquet/stringbed is in contact)

2.) they then bring the racquet back while still holding the shuttle stationary

3.) then they move the racquet forward to hit the shuttle

IS this serve LEGAL? what if the scenario is the same exept the shuttle is not in contact with the racquet/stringbed?

NOTE: the player that performs this serve does not pause between step two and three but does it in a continuous way.
    If I have understood the scenario you've described correctly, it's exactly the same serve that I was questioning. I've been informed that such a service method is illegal. Bringing the racquet up with the shuttle is considered a forward racquet motion in the direction of the shuttle. Thus you cannot stop this motion before striking the shuttle or it is a service fault. The fault occurs between the transition of step 1 and 2.

A lot of players seem to believe there is nothing wrong with this because they always stop, pause, and then pull the racquet back to begin their actual serve. They believe because they always perform this ritual balk that it can't be considered an illegal feint. However, if such a serve was allowed, there would be nothing stopping players from ever not performing their ritual balk, and just continue on from bringing their racquet up with the shuttle straight into a serve (no pulling the racquet back). Thus they could choose to feint a serve by stopping and bringing their racquet back, or just bring their racquet up into a quick serve. Can you imagine the deceptions you could pull off on every serve!

To correct this illegal service is quite easy on the part of the server. They must bring their racquet up without the shuttle in front of it, and then stop and hold the racquet where they wish. Then place/hold the shuttle in front of their racquet. Then at this point they may either swing straight forward and contact the shuttle, or they can bring the racquet back and then forward into the shuttle. I was told this was the only way the backswing of the backhand serve would be legal because it would be clear that there was no intention of starting a service when bringing the racquet initially up/forward (because there was no shuttle held in front of it to hit).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since there seems to be some confusion over this still have a look at badders.com
    http://www.badders.com/asktheumpire/?seshid=

If I can quote from their umpire.....
    The illegal way to execute this particular service would be to bring the shuttle into position first followed by bringing the racket forward to meet the shuttle, then pull the racket back.

The legal way to execute this service is to bring the racket forward into the position from where you want to start pulling it back first, then place the shuttle in front of the racket and after that pull the racket back.

The first action sequence is illegal, because bringing the racket forward towards a shuttle wich is in position, would mean that the service has started. Consequently this forward movement of the racket in this situation may not be discontinued. With the second action sequence that problem does not occur.
    Check it out an badders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks timeless and dlp! I misunderstood your previous posts... ehehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aha!

I think I finally understand this!
    The sequence is: Racket, Shuttle, Serve. And not Shuttle, Racket, Serve. Hooray!
    I am playing Badminton tomorrow night and will be checking on the sequence from other players as well as myself. Thank you to everyone who has written on this thread, it has really made fascinating reading.

Best Wishes
    Derek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're welcome . Sorry if I wasn't very clear at first, this kind of thing is harder to explain with words. But sounds like we have gotten our questions answered, so happy legal serving to us all .

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Aha!

Originally posted by Derek S-H
    I think I finally understand this!
    The sequence is: Racket, Shuttle, Serve. And not Shuttle, Racket, Serve. Hooray!
    Yes!!This sequence that gives least amount of ambiguity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thought I will put this in this thread

...since it is about illegal serve.

I had just finished watching the ladies doubles between Denmark/Japan and Riki Olsen's serve was shown close-up a number of times.

She would hold out the shuttle and then move her racquet to the shuttle and then draw back and forward to hit the shuttle. Now, wouldn't that be considered illegal? Granted that there was a momentary pause before she drew the racquet back.

Also, in the same match, one of the Japanese ladies was called for a receiver fault meaning that she moved before the serve start (which caused some confusion amongst all four players).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely illegal. I think a lot of service judges don't quite do their job when it comes to international tournaments. Almost as if they let things slide because they assume the players all serve legally. And then other times I've seen service judges that seem to have it out for certain players during a match. Just doesn't seem consistent.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3