Who is the better player if players like Zhao JH, Yang Yang, Chen Hong can compete?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Pakito, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    I have wanted to start this thread some time ago, but since no members brought this subject up, I think i will be the first one to.

Of course we know that Zhao Jianhua and Yang Yang are already past their heydays. But hey, even in tennis Pete Sampras got to play friendly match (more like exhibition) with the !@$% John McEnroe before. Then there's Pete Sampras and Roger Federer.

Does anyone ever wonder if all these top legends were to come back and play (i know it's not possible to be fair because age and seniority), again like the quality they used to be, imagine how many ppl would turn up and buy tickets for a match between Zhao and Lin Dan? Hey, Lin Dan can even give a 5 point handicap. How nice and exciting all in the name and love for badminton. It will be like lighting fireworks of badminton magic and then sitting a watch the fireworks!

When Lin Dan was up and coming around 2005, LCW was still below par as compared to LD back then, but another chinese player, nearing his time for retirement, Chen Hong was a player i admire too back then for his style of play. Why i do so i will elaborate later. In addition, has anyone forgotten how Chen Hong disposed off LD in the 2005 All England 8-15, 15-5 & 15-1! back then? Just superb. Skillful. Full mastery of badminton strokes and flair. Simply mesmerizing. Has more than an ounce of likeness to the skill of Zhao.

Another reason Chen Hong is one of my favourite player is that when you see him play, you see his shots are deceptive and the smashes even though are quick, it does not give you the feeling that you have to be able to have a smashing power like LD when you see him in slow motion smashing - his face is even torqued to one side. Whereas for Chen Hong, it feels more easy, light and fast. Just like Zhao, his smash is generated with the whip of the wrist. Although LD does uses the whiplash of the wrist, but the overall motion makes you feel like a singer who can't reach a high note very well and desperately tries to reach for it, which is uneasy for me. Although we are amaze by his smashing power, how many of us can do that?

Call me crazy, but i think it would be absolutely amazing to watch a match between Zhao and LD, Yang Yang and LCW, Xiong Guo Bao and Simon Santoso. Dream on..

#1 Pakito, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. Weezzerr

Weezzerr Regular Member

Graduate
    Sorry to bump an old thread...but man i wish this would come true. It will be like "Badminton Masters" exhibition match though i doubt, Zhao Jianhua being who he is, or all of the "Old Masters" in particular, would accept any form of Handicapped advantage..haha :)

3. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

i hope to see charity matches between such legends of the similar ages...

it will be a eye opener to all.

4. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    All in the name and love for badminton.

5. KillerQT

KillerQT Regular Member

Maybe legends vs legends... seems good.

Current Singles players vs singles players but with a little twist... they will play in doubles hehe like LD/Chen Jin vs LCW/TH haha!!! I'm certain there will be a lot of fireworks of smashes. Haha just kidding. Its just a daydream...