Backhand Placing Needs Advice!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by err012, Jun 28, 2011.

1. err012

err012 Regular Member

I can do quite a good and really decent backhand clears, smash and drops. But i cant seems to do those in parallel form (I am a left hander), meaning placing it straight. Thus, most of my backhand shots tend to be cross court. Also, when i exert the strength and snap for hit i tried to be conscious about it but don't seems to work/place it too well.

Any advice?

2. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    is all to do with the racket face, make sure it faces where you want the shuttle to land on the point of impact . the more important aspect of the backhand smash , drop is the steepness

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Staiger is spot on. I would recommend considering the follow through. If you imagine setting up to hit a backhand drive that is a comfortable (say chest) height. If you hit the shuttle with your racket parallel to the ground (it is horizontal) then your likely follow through is cross court - the swing will go cross court. If you hit the same shot with the racket head pointing directly upwards (vertical - perpendicular to the ground), then it is much more likely your follow through will be in a straight line - towards where you want to hit the shuttle. This may help to direct the shuttle straight. The principle applies to backhand overhead strokes as well - if you entire swing and follow through is going in a straight line, thats where the shuttle is likely to go (as long as you get the racket head pointing straight too as staiger said). A common cause of an inaccurate backhand overhead is also excessive shoulder movement - turning the shoulders (probably trying to add power or some such nonsense). In most cases you could direct the shuttle by controlling how you turn your body (similarly to the forehand overhead).

Maybe thinking about some of that will help your backhand.

Matt

4. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

5. err012

err012 Regular Member

Thanks guys for the infos. I will try it out this wkend and revert :D

6. jjqyb

jjqyb Regular Member

you should do more clear practice , when you master the theory of clear, then you will know how to play backhand well , no matter where you hit the shuttle . cause the theory of clear and backhand is the same , the different is the motion is opposited

7. Acumen

Acumen Regular Member

8. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I agree that the racquet face has a key and critical part in the trajectory and line of the shuttle. However, the shoulders also play a major part especially with developing players.

Most times i see players who do not turn their shoulders. Consequently, the shuttle travels cross court rather than straight. If you test by ensuring your shoulders are parallel to the net prior to hitting the shot I'd be interested to know the outcome.

Good luck

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk