Playing with someone above your standard ...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by malaysianfreak, Jun 29, 2011.

1. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    i challenged a dude today ...and i lost 21-12 21-8 man ....overpowered me by a longshot ...and from the game i can realllly see where i am goin wrong!

1.he serve a low serve position but in fact he uses a flick (mostly) and it seems i had at least 15 returns hit the net because of such a weird serve. felt very weird..i tried to adept and stand backwards but he served low and i did a bad return = lost in a instant , so where should i stand in such a position?

2.trickshot he make about 10 trickshots and i got fool and 9 times ...the 1 time i didnt get fooled i make a short lift also lost . how to not get fooled?

3.choices of serve is too a problem i make a low serve one trick i lost straight one high serve he makes a clear and my footwork to rear court is weak = poor return = lose ...cant find an ideal serve ...so what should i do?

4.footwork ...FOOTWORK!! the thing i realise most is my footwork is horrendous ..i always move back when playing net . i cant find enough time to move to the center position and my footwork to rearcourt smucks!! i think my footwork is wrong ...any ideas ?

5.how to upload videos ?

thanks - shawn

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

#4 is the one that is responsible for 1. 2 and 3. Really good footwork improves all the other aspects of your game. Great footwork and fitness is really important and will improve other aspects. The trickshots can be a mental thing as well. :)

5. Upload to YouTube then paste the link here.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It's a very good sign that you are taking this loss as a lesson and are examining your game for ways to improve. These are great learning experiences. :)

Yes, footwork makes everything easier. But so also does anticipation (knowing what shots may come), racket readiness (makes for more reliable shot making and essential for any deception), and patience (not looking for winners each shot).

As well as looking at your own game ("what did I do wrong?"), don't forget to examine the game from the opponent's perspective ("what did he do right?"). Take whatever you liked about his game and practice it yourself. Best of luck.

4. malaysianfreak

student
    i did try all small things to improve my game like holding my racket up to my waist , do explosive movement during footwork but it seems i am still unable to get behind the shuttle . i just aint fast enough =( ..is there other way to upload videos? cause i dont have a youtube acc

5. malaysianfreak

student
    how to change the angle for deep backhand shots? mine seems to go out all the time ...

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    bottom line is you were out classed and there's nothing you can do in the short term to match up to your opponent's level.
    So forget about how to counter his individual shots and work hard on your own footwork, speed, endurance, power, and consistency. Cuz for every counter you do, your opponent will just find another way of hitting winners against you.

The fact that your opponent beat you 21-8 using trick shots only means that if he were to play seriously, you'd lose 21-2.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Footwork and inexperience in game situations- improvement will come with training and time

8. tclphz

tclphz Regular Member

Is there something that can be taken advantage of while being outclass to help improvement in the future?

9. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    so what if you lost, you should be looking at the positives that came out from it . Now you know what you need to improve and work on (court speed/footwork) and plenty of practice. Now you are motivated and that is the key to win.

10. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    1. If your returns are going into the net, you should probably just be a bit more conservative (especially if the serve is an awkward one) - try playing a clear return instead of smashing/dropping.

2. This sounds to me like maybe your opponent is using deception, which is not the same as playing trickshots. The real key to combating deception is to not allow you opponent time - the later they are in reaching the shuttle, the fewer options they have. A well-timed split step also leaves you prepared to push off in any direction, so you won't be caught flat-footed.

3. It sounds like you would be better off using a high forehand serve most of the time. You need to make sure you are standing in the middle of the court when you serve - that way you won't get caught out by cleared returns (definitely don't serve from the "T" like you would in doubles).

4. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any quick fixes here. It's probably my own biggest weakness too. :(

5. Youtube...

Finally, you may find this an interesting read:
    http://badminton-coach.co.uk/1802/what-do-you-do-when-it’s-all-going-wrong-in-your-badminton-match/

Good luck! :)

11. malaysianfreak

student
    yea...before the game even started i knew i would lose already ..... oh yea my backhands are also my weakness too ...i just unable to cope with the pressure of deep backhands and good corner clears ... my deep backhand shot goes out and i cant find the high point when the enemy uses corner clears ...

12. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

when challenging someone stronger than you it's not about beating them but about improving yourself. technique-wise, you can already see where you need to improve, so then you can work and train for that. and the next time you challenge him, see if you can beat your old score.

13. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
  14. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi shawn,

Good to c that you are trying to take your game to next level.

But let me warn you, getting N number of tips is not going to help you beat this guy or for that matter, anybody better than you by some distance.

Imagine if it was a 100 meter race and somebody beat you by a second or by couple of meters, then reading technics not gona help you. You need to practice on all areas.There are no shortcuts in the game of badminton as well.

You may want to hire a coach to work on your technics, play regularly with an advanced group & increase your stamina and strength by physical excercise. Then you may worry about fine tuning your skills & analyze why you lost to a particular player.

Prince

15. malaysianfreak

student
    sadly i cant afford a good coach it's rm200 a month whih sucks ...had too watch zhao jian hua videos only =(

16. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

How do we play against trickshots? That's a rather difficult one to answer but for me then I have to slow down my anticipation because of uncertainty what kind of shot is his return.
    Don't move or even expect any type of return until the shuttle is struck by his racket. That is the only way to play against a deceptive opponent. Since we don't move before the shuttle is struck, we have to quick enough for our next shot after it is struck so back to #4, FOOTWORK.