Good Table Top Crank machine with Two Fixed Clamps

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by bsmith, Jun 29, 2011.

1. bsmith

bsmith Regular Member

Engineering software developer www.elitesoft.com
    I was trying to send a pm to Mark A, but his mail box is full. So I decided to make a post suitable for Mark and others to comment on.

I have spent many hours reading threads on stringing machines. The more I read, the more tempting it is to buy a high end machine and have every amenity available. High end machines make stringing fast and easy even for a beginning stringer such as myself.

But from a practical stand point, my stringing needs are only for about six players so that's not many rackets per month to string, unless we all switch to ZM62 and then there would be more usage. Thinking about doing what druss does and that is string mains with BG66UM and string crosses with ZM62. Then you get the extra bit of performance of ZM62 with the durability of BG66UM because ZM62 lasts much longer as a cross than it does as a main.

My thoughts are right now to get a table top crank machine with two fixed clamps and locking turntable and later add a Wise 2086. The reason I would start with a table top is because all the machines that come with stands seem like they are way too short. And if I am just doing a couple of rackets per month, then a table top stores away easily. If I decide a stand would be really helpful, at 6' tall I need a tall stand for the machine to be comfortable to use. I own two lathes, a mill, and several welding machines (mig, tig, and stick) so fabrication and various modifications are not a problem for me. So if need be, I can make a good stand later on.

I am thinking the Eagnas Combo 810 for $489 USD is be the best value model for me right now. Also would likely change the fixed clamps to the model WA3342 here http://www.watdon.co.uk/the-naturalists/acatalog/W_D_Strings.html

At the same time order some Chudek Side Supports as they fit the Combo 810 right? Get a load spreader, a pair of the new 5 tooth MBS flying clamps and combined with the stringing tools (get a better string cutter of course) that come with the machine, I would have a very nice starting setup.

If I find that I am using the machine often enough, the next modification would be a Wise 2086 and at some point I would make a custom stand.

In summary, my questions are as below,

1. Is there a better value table top machine plus or minus $150 USD in cost than the $489 Eagnas Combo 810 to build around? Or maybe there is a major design flaw of the Combo 810 I don't know of? Note, I am a Harbor Freight junkie and am used to working around quality issues. (Was the Harbor Freight reference too Americanized to be understood worldwide? HF sells lots of cheap items in the U.S. The cost is often so low, that even if you have to fix a few things, the item was still worth buying.)

2. Will the model 3342 fixed clamps from Watdon work on this machine and in your opinion are they a worthwhile upgrade over specific badminton fixed clamps that Eagnas sells for extra?

3. The badminton optimized Chudek Side Supports are fairly low cost and seem like a very worthwhile upgrade. They will work on a Eagnas Combo 810 right?

Thanks to all who have written so much about stringing in this forum. Collectively, you guys have made it where someone new to the sport can benefit from all this wisdom and experience and go right to an optimal setup. Thank you again so much.
    Bill

2. bigfishoz

bigfishoz Regular Member

Manager
    Hi Bill
    I was in the similar situation 8 months ago and decided to get the exact same setup as what you described. And it work well for me, initially only 5 rackets a month and now in the winter it is 30 rackets a month and after over 120 rackets the machine is paid for itself and I am loving the flexibility of do my own special racket stringing - (Habito method)
    Alex

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I replied to o/p, but for the record any clone of the Combo 810 is, IMO, the best option. It has the most common fitments in terms of shoulder supports and clamp bases and it's CHEAP:D.

4. bsmith

bsmith Regular Member

Alex and Mark, thanks for your comments. The Eagnas Combo 810 as seen here http://www.eagnas.com/com810.html#revo4 for $489 USD is an amazing value. It's cheap enough that you can afford to improve it with state of the art Chudek Side Supports from our own member Michal Chudek (about $65 USD shipped) and replace the fixed clamps with the super nice Watdon WA3342 dual clamps from here http://www.watdon.co.uk/the-naturalists/acatalog/W_D_Strings.html (about $70 USD shipped)

I am still trying to decide on whether to replace the stock base clamps with these fast and precise Gamma model MQAC-11 base clamps from here http://www.atssports.com/tennis.cfm?product=2010 for $70 USD each. Can anyone comment on how much extra benefit you get with these Gamma base clamps for an additional $140 USD total?

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I find the standard Eagnas/PP bases to be perfectly adequate. Indeed, I use them with tennis rackets and they hold 50+ lb without any problems. I recently tore down and rebuilt my base clamps, adding some Loctite to keep the calibration fixed, and they are now better than new. The Gamma bases certainly lock with more force, but I've never had a problem with my stock bases in the first place:).

6. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

thanks for the information ... I've never used tennis clamp for badminton, but your explanation made me wanna try item ...

7. bsmith

bsmith Regular Member

Mark, glad to hear that the standard Eagnas base clamps are pretty good. Sounds like the Gamma base clamps are a little better, but something of a luxury for their price. Probably won't upgrade to Gamma clamps for quite awhile. Thanks so much for your opinion on this. My new Combo 810 is supposed to arrive this week so I will be able to test everything soon.

Can't wait to string my first racket! Going to do a cheap recreational Heritage racket first and then a 2 piece, top down job on my Victor MX80 with Zymax62. Don't care if the ZM62 breaks quick as I will get more stringing practice all the sooner.