Grip: Wearing down at specific locations

Discussion in 'Grip' started by JChen99, May 7, 2003.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I had just replaced the overgrip on my Ti-10 just now, due to wear through of ONE place on the over grip(i dont want it going through the grip too... so i replaced it) It's where the index finger makes contact with the racket. Does anyone have any small tricks to increase the life span of a grip/overgrip on their racket if one grips at the exact same spot all the time? (my case basically) because the last overgrip only lasted me 3 months (and that was not many hours in total) before I broke a hole in it due to the friction of my finger on overgrip during play

I just put an extra layer on the places where rubbing occurs most, but last time I tried that it didn't work... so... hoping some of you have came across the same problem and have already solved it :D

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    unwrap it, using the same tape, offset the tape so the resulting grip is rotated 45 degrees, and then wrap it again!

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

and after that, re-wrap it but start from the other end

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

What grip are you using? Perhaps you should try using a different grip? When I was using Yonex Super Grap and was too lazy to change it when it was worn out, there would be holes. After switching to Karakal Kushy (Black), all you can see is worn marks after like 1.5 months use and still tacky.

I also used kwun's method to flip the grip and use what was "covered" when you gripped it originally.

Yodums

5. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey, 3 months from an overgrip doesn't sound too bad. After all, an overgrip is only, what, $2?! If you play with feather shuttles, you could easily go through a couple of $2 a night.

BTW, what brand was the overgrip? I'll keep it in mind and avoid it like the plague.

-Rick

6. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    It seems that most of you have overgrips that can be re-gripped. However, mine is on the sticky side, and when I remove them I end up shredding it to peices cuz it sticks to itself somuch ^^"

I'm using some Tennis overgrip by wilson. it is the best grip I've came across/ Non-slippery and gives great feel when gripping it