Li-Ning Vic Grade

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by MelbonBaddy, Jul 1, 2011.

1. MelbonBaddy

MelbonBaddy New Member

Hi all, I'm new to competition, and just signing up for my first time.

When I signed up, the entry form says Rally Point to 21 pts, best of 3 games.

However, they decided to change the format to 1 Games to 30 (No Setting). Effectively, this limits my playing time and match experience.

Now being my first time, i was hoping to get some experience under my belt and play as much as possible.

A couple of questions,
    1) is it normal for organisers to change without announcing the update through email / telephone? I wont have known this had i not check their website today :(
    2) is it not misleading advertisement?
    3) if it is misleading competitors, should they not refund partially the entry fees that i paid?

I find it very dishonest for the sudden change in rules, but if this is how competitions are normally run, i'll just suck it up

2. SmashBoi

SmashBoi Regular Member

Hi MelbonBaddy

Thought I might be able to answer som, if not all, of your questions.

1) The updates are generally announced on the Badminton Victoria website (www.badmintonvic.com.au). The entry form also stated that the details about the draws etc will be posted onto the website prior to the tournament. My understanding is that time around it might have been a little late because of some late withdrawals. But with over 250 players entering into the tournament, I, for one, would cut them some slack. :)
    2) The entry form also said that the scoring format may change depending on entries - so personally I don't think that is misleading advertisement. It is understandable that sometimes format might change due to entry numbers and limited courts - I mean some of the events have more than 40 entries.
    3) Given everything is spelt out on the entry form - the majority of us who plays in the tournament know that something may change somewhere along the line, so we just deal with it really. And besides, in every other tournaments around Victoria, the standard format for graded events tends to be 1 set to 30 points anyway.

Hope this helps. :)

3. jmore

jmore Regular Member

Huh where does it say that its 1 set to 30?

4. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Gee this was a good tournament and great effort from the organisers who dealt with so many entrants. The only problems were the Li Ning shuttles were too brittle and wasted 7-8 shuttles each match!! They did however fly well. Again the draw against me and Vien suffered, with me facing a national New Caledonian player in the B quarter final (what the?) and Vien playing 2 A graders in his pool...

I am not sure who jmore is, but if you are new, at least play in a number of tournaments in Melbourne and see how they operate, before so quick to criticize the tournament committee and complain about very VERY minor things!!!

5. jmore

jmore Regular Member

I was in the tournament too. I didn't see the notice saying that the scoring had changed to 30 until after I posted that and I have no idea how that could be seen as complaining.

6. Hullabaloo

Hullabaloo Regular Member

Kristine Thomas did try to contact people. She sent out the email below with receipients BCC'd. It may be that she was unable to find contact details for you.

From: Kristine Thomas [mailto:events@badmintonvic.com.au]
    Sent: Friday, 1 July 2011 2:20 AM
    To: Kristine Thomas
    Subject: 2011 Vic Open & Graded

Thank you for your entry into the 2011 Li-Ning Open & Graded.

We have been overwhelmed by the number of entries for this event. Please read the information below carefully and if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me. Please also make sure your partners are aware of the information below. We have tried to include all players in this email but we have not been able to contact everybody.

Draws for all events are now available online at http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=FA70B4AA-013B-4C0C-9997-5306CAC9B2B0 I apologise for the late posting of these draws. Late player withdrawals resulted in many events needing to be reseeded and new draws created.

Saturday July 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] – Open (all matches except semi and grand finals) & C/D Grades (all matches)
    8:45am start of C/D mens doubles to be followed by singles and then mixed doubles.
    10:00am start of womens doubles to be followed by singles and then mixed doubles.
    Graded matches will not be timed. The anticipated start times are not before 12 for singles and 3pm for mixed doubles. These times are only an estimate and will change depending on the length of matches and player involvement.
    All times for the Open matches are displayed online at http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=FA70B4AA-013B-4C0C-9997-5306CAC9B2B0&draw=212. Matches may be called up to 15 minutes early.

Sunday July 3rd – Open semi finals and finals & A/B Grades (all matches)
    8:45am start A/B Grade mens doubles to be followed by singles and then mixed doubles.
    10:00am start for womens doubles to be followed by womens singles and then mixed doubles.
    Times for the Open semi finals and finals will be announced on Saturday and posted online.

Court Allocations
    All players please report to match control upon arrival at MSAC. Graded round robin groups will be allocated to a court. Players will be required to umpire matches within their group. To find out your allocated court please check the draws displayed within the venue or check at match control. Please note due to the high level of entries some C/D grade matches will be played in the adjacent hall behind the table tennis.

Entry Fees
    If you have not already paid your entry fees please do this asap. Entry fees can be paid via credit card, cash or cheque. All entry fees must be paid before the start of play.

Changes to entries and player withdrawals
    If for any reason you are unable to play please let us know by emailing events@badmintonvic.com.au

Scoring
    Open matches best of 3 games to 21
    Graded matches 1 game to 30

Draw format
    In graded events the top ranked player in each round robin box will progress to the higher grade and the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] ranked player will progress to the lower grade.
    All Open events are elimination.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
    Kristine Thomas

7. Hullabaloo

Hullabaloo Regular Member

In the terms and conditions they did also state:

"Games will be in "Rally Point" format to 21 pts best of 3 games. Graded may change, subject to entry numbers."

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Congratulations jmore. :):):)

Although you didn't see the notice saying that the scoring had changed to 30, you have done well - finishing up as a runner-up in your event. :):):)

9. charedblack

charedblack Regular Member

Student
    The entry form also says, i quote[FONT=&amp] "Games will be in “Rally Point” format to 21 pts best of 3 games[/FONT][FONT=&amp]. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Graded may change, subject to entry numbers.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"[/FONT]
    Due to the HUGE amount of entries the format changed.
    It is standard practice in Victorian event to have this policy
    It is also standard for tournaments to change scoring system based on the number of entrants and they do change it quite often.

Yes it does limit match time, but unless you want to be playing until 1am in the morning this is how it works!
    Playing at 1am in the morning will also limit you match experience.......

Firstly it was announced!
    There was a mass email sent to all members who listed an email down on their entry form! (as posted above)
    As it is normal practice to change the format and it was expected for a tournament of this size, there was no massive need for organisors to alert all participant to this.
    Although they still did via the email.

2) No, it was advertised! Not their fault you cant read.....
    3) No(see above) and No(once again see above)

start sucking it up princess!!!

10. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    I talking about Melbonbaddy, not jmore sorry!

11. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    charedblack = vienb coming home???