Wanting to play in Seoul

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by hwwiebe, Jul 2, 2011.

1. hwwiebe

hwwiebe New Member

First of all, I know there is a thread very similar to this one, however many of the links on there are old and outdated so I thought I'd remake a thread that might be a little more up-to-date (hopefully).

I am Canadian student currently in Korea for a little over a month doing a university exchange program at Yonsei University, near Sinchon (신존역), but I'm also really wanting to play some badminton. I play badminton very competitively back home, and I have represented Canada on several occasions. I was hoping that Yonsei would have a badminton team that I could train with but apparently they do not, so now I am in need of a place to play. Does anyone know of any clubs in and around Sinchon that have some skilled players?

Thanks so much :)

2. event

event Regular Member

I think you mean 신촌역. I don't really have much to add that isn't in the other thread. The Sky Club that Oldhand played with at Ahyun Elementary School is still there and it is likely the closest to you, just two subway stops away. Oldhand is likely the only one who could tell you about the level, but you're the only one here who knows your level so you'd have to reconcile that, too. That school has an elite team, actually, as does the adjacent middle school, with graduates on the junior and senior national teams. Universities don't have teams unless they're elite and the only university team in Seoul is KNSU, where Sung Ji Hyun, Shin Baek Cheol, and other national team players play.

You can't get too much closer than that. I have heard of a group at the Seoul Foreign School adjacent to the west side of Yonsei but it was only one day a week and I have no idea of the level or of whether they still play.

3. event

event Regular Member

hwwiebe, did you have any luck finding a place to play?

4. harmono

harmono Regular Member

Hi, I sent you a pm.

I am also a Canadian in Seoul for one week, staying near Yangjae station.

Could someone recommend me a place to play? I am also wondering if there is a professional training facility here where I could see how the elite players train?

I have pretty flexible schedule and also don't mind to travel.

5. event

event Regular Member

First of all, if you are looking to play around Yangjae, you might try PM'ing negon in this thread, or buptandy in this one, as they are both in areas close to you.

Before I get onto training centres, let me first mention that there are some options for watching top-level competitions now. The top high school singles players are in action until tomorrow or Sunday in Suwon, while the top university players (except for Sung Ji Hyun, of course) are playing in Gimcheon next Mon-Thurs, but the latter is quite far from where you are.

The Suwon team's training centre is quite easy to get to from Yangjae. They play at the gym mention in this post. The 3000 bus takes you from Yangjae to the same stops mentioned there for the 7770 bus.

The KNSU team is not far but they are busy at the tournament in Gimcheon so they won't be there. Hwang Ji Man plays for the same pro team as Lee Hyun Il and Park Sung Hwan, Gangnam. I believe they play in the Daejin Gym, just north of Exit #1 Daecheong Stn on the #3 line (same as Yangjae). The Daegyo women's team is likely not too far from you, either, but I doubt it will be too busy. Only 3 players would be around, as Kim Moon Hi, Choi Hye In and Lee Hyun Jin are going to Vietnam soon.

If you're up for a bit of a jaunt, I will likely be playing this weekend, one bus ride from you (plus a 1km walk). PM me if interested.

6. paulmac007

paulmac007 Regular Member

business owner
    Hey,
    I'm also from Canada, but live a little away from you fellas. If you are up for a game, or wanna make a Saturday of it sometime, lemme know, as I'd make a trip up to play. I've been playing here for about 5 years, but it's always nice to play with some guys that speak English! My email is Paulmac79@hotmail.com, shoot me an email if you wanna play sometime. I'm 32, a decent level and mostly a doubles player, but I can give singles a go every now and then I suppose.. I can speak Korean a bit too. Lemme know if you'd like to play!

Paul

7. event

event Regular Member

How far away? Still in Jeonbuk or have you moved northward a bit?

8. paulmac007

business owner
    Still pluggin away in Jeonbuk..

9. paulmac007

business owner
    Thinking about coming to Seoul this weekend, and was wondering if anyone wanted to get together for a game Saturday afternoon or evening? I'm not sure where we'd play yet, but just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone was interested.
    If no r

10. Chilion

Chilion Regular Member

Engineer
    Would like to join you between 7-11 May 2012.

Please contact me at +65 97830023
    Chilion

11. event

event Regular Member

It sounds as if hwwiebe was only here last summer, unless I misinterpreted the message. If you wish to join anyone playing badminton this week, it would be best to let us know where you are, and/or check out some of the other Seoul threads.