I feel so bad :(

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by calvinguy, May 7, 2003.

1. calvinguy

calvinguy Regular Member

I had my first tournament zone today. It was awful... I lost all 3 of my games. This is such a bad day :( Anyways after today, seeing and playing all these good people it encouraged me to get better. So I'm going to join a badminton club. Is there any other training methods/workouts I can do other than just plain playing badminton? I had alot of trouble playing this guy that served deep and after the serves he'd continue to bring it deep, then he eventually smashed or dropped it to finished me off. He really annoys me. Do you guys have any strategies against someone like that?

2. Smilley

Smilley Regular Member

IT Sec
    It doesn't take a few weeks to get better, you have to understand that. Continous training will help you to get pass some of his shots. Playing with a strong player that doesn't provide you returns for good smashes will certainly pissed you off. Try dropping and net shots to make him lundge to lift the shuttles for your smashes.

Get some consistencies on your net and drop shots.

3. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    if your playin singles, then usually they'll serve it deep. So keep this in mind and get ready for a deep serve. But then might trick you sometimes, keep that in mind too!!!

Yeah, if you wanna improve, you gotta start training. I don't mean training as in getting more muscles and getting bigger, i mean training in order to get faster and move around like an arrow.

If you wanna work on your smashes, then all you gotta do is work on the form. Its not all about your whole arm, its mostly how fast u can snap your wrist. When u smash, you gotta keep your elbow up and pointing forward. A good exercise u can do help your wrist to get stronger is to spin a water bottle around in your palm in a circle. Spin it in an 8 motion and well.....yeah. Do like 5 sets of 12 a day. If u feel pain then stop, cus u dun wanna mess up your wrist. PUshups and crunches help a lot too.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. When receive serve, don't stand too close to the front. For me, usually 2 steps behind the service line. This way, u r in "reachable" postion of everywhere he possibly put the shuttle.

2. Practice foot work. Seems he gets ur weakness for defending in the back (effectively), so, need to move around to counter attack sometimes.

3. Clear/drive to his back (prefre his backhand side). This way, u will force him to defense, and buy some time.

4. Practice, practice, practice... No way can just jump to the #1 seeding from no where in 2 days... :eek:

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    back to basic

Your opponent obviously is a better player than you at this point, if there's a wide seperation of level between you and him then it really doesn't matter what strategy he use, he's going to beat you at any given day which any stratgey he chose to use. However, as long as you're still bother by the loss then the desire to win should build your determination to word harder. Bear in mind, it's fun to play leisure badminton but not competitve one as the later require tremendous hard work. To me, badminton start with wrist, train your wrist strength by holding liquor bottleneck on your playing hand and lift the bottle up and down as many time as you can by just purely using wrist movement. Raise the bottle perpendicular to the floor and try to starighten your arm while doing it. You should feel pressure building on your wrist. I usually do it for 100 times while I am watching tv so I don't feel bore and repeat as many 100s as I can. After weeks of intensive wrist training, you should not have problem returning his backcourt stroke. Then there's stamina issue, footwork, backhand, type of strokes, drops ... Try wrist first, you will like the result, make sure you don't get injure by overdoing it :)
    I learnt this technique from former US national player and it really works!

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: back to basic

Very good point.

Don't need to feel bad. If that guy's skill is far better than urs. Then, he suppose to win over u without too much effort. However, if u think u 2 are fairly close skill vise, then, strategy becomes the key issue in vicotry.

I am sure everyone here experience some cruel defeats in their baddy career, especially when we were rookies. Sure, blow out is not fun, but if we face that positively and use it to motivate us to improve... Hey, never know, u might be the one to raise the trophy in the next several yrs something...

7. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

First question I have to ask you before you talk strategy is did you know what you did wrong? Of course, I bet you can sit there and watch your opponent, analyze him, point out his weaknesses and still lose mainly because you're still weaker regardless of his weakness since he's pushing you harder than you can push his backhands as an example. The first exhibition tournament here, I lost pretty badly but I found ways to get better, take mental notes of what I did wrong, what the opponent did good and perhaps used them against him or any future matches. One guy I played I lost to - 3, - 2. When I got to know him and play him a second or third time, it was -13, but I blew a 13 - 7 lead. So you have to realize what you did wrong as well.

Other than that, follow the tips they've given you. They seem to be very effective in a singles game if you can pull yourself together and put the past behind you. Don't be scared :)

8. calvinguy

calvinguy Regular Member

Re: back to basic

Hm... I'm kinda confused. Should the bottle be pointing up into the roof or straight forward when I do that wrist training.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    CG, don't feel too bad. it sounds like you can't effectively hit baseline-baseline clears. that's something that you should practice. forget about playing games. just do baseline-baseline clears. see if you can continuously do it for many many minutes. my record was around 20 or so minute (in one single rally).

and then you should dig around this forum, look for different drills that people have talked about and try them with a friend. joining a club is ok, but in most of the clubs that i have been to, they are more interested in playing games than drilling.

10. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Wrist training

When you hold on the neck of the bottle(I use the un-open California wine bottle), the bottle will be pointing perpendicular to the wrist and at the same level, not upward nor downward. Then straighten your elbow and use only your wirst to move up and down the bottle. Take your pace, of course, the slower you go, the heavier you feel and more pressure is applied to your wrist. Make sure your hand is dry, you don't want to drop the botlle full of liquor :)
    You can also go for the stroke drill, the bad thing is, you have to be in the court with partner.
    Good luck.
    Han

11. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Yeh, I think what kwun said would probably be the most effective. I don't think doing such intense excercises like weights would help. Are you clearing correct? Putting your hips into it and taking it as high as possible? The hip part really plays a siginificant role.